Status
Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I don't know id I'll ever try Rayon. I use Master of Clouds Japanese organic cotton pads. It is the only cotton I have ever used that does not have a taste on the new wick and it wicks. I mostly build my coils at 3-3.5 inner diameter and cutting my cotton pad to 5mm width seems just right for the wicks.
Rayon does the job. I just don't find it superior to KGD. I do really like the Drago egyptian cotton I've been using lately. Lasts longer with the sweet citrus juices I love. Started mixing yesterday and did 3 more this morning. Hoping for much better wick life without the commercial sweeteners.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Rayon does the job. I just don't find it superior to KGD. I do really like the Drago egyptian cotton I've been using lately. Lasts longer with the sweet citrus juices I love. Started mixing yesterday and did 3 more this morning. Hoping for much better wick life without the commercial sweeteners.

I haven't used cotton in over a year but I get 100 - 150ml per rayon wick (some other rayon users go even longer) with my DIY that generally has no sweetener. If I do use sweetener it is only 0.5% of Now Glycerite Stevia.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
I don't know id I'll ever try Rayon. I use Master of Clouds Japanese organic cotton pads. It is the only cotton I have ever used that does not have a taste on the new wick and it wicks well. I mostly build my coils at 3-3.5 inner diameter and cutting my cotton pad to 5mm width seems just right for the wicks.
i have a fair stockpile of cotton as i haven't used it since first trying rayon.
will use it in the future as i don't want my 'skills' (the few i have) getting rusty. got a pack of kendo gold that i haven't opened...that'll probably be the first when i go back to it. i only build 3mm coils at the moment but plan on doing some 3.5 soon.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
AVS sends Kendo Gold with their coils. I like it. It is marginally better than KGD, but not enough better to pay the extra cost.
think i got the kendo gold on sale on amazon.
my cotton bag has many things that have come with coils, tanks etc. never get around to using them but keep them 'for emergencies'...

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Kendo gold is really, really weird cotton. Total PITA to work with and terribly short-lived, but it vapes real nice once it's good to go.

Seriously WEIRD cotton though.
We will have to agree to disagree here Victor. I have no problems working with it and with dessert vapes I get better life than with KGD. It is completely different than working with KGD or rayon. I don't need to scottish roll the Kendo Gold.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
We will have to agree to disagree here Victor. I have no problems working with it and with dessert vapes I get better life than with KGD. It is completely different than working with KGD or rayon. I don't need to scottish roll the Kendo Gold.

I'd argue you shouldn't even attempt to Scottish roll it, it's in cords for our wicking pleasure! Here's what I find weird about it:

- short fibres need extreme care when installing. Too much resistance on your coil and it'll tear apart
- initially it will actually REPEL juice. I prod it with my tweezers to get it going
- packed correctly it is utterly flavourless right from vape 1
- holds a ridiculous amount of juice, but will not let you vape dry (reminder I dont use or need TC).
- gunks and siezes faster than any other wick I've used. Managed a week tops before absolutely requiring a rewick

Anyway, it's pretty nice stuff. But it's weird!!

[EDIT] I suppose I should be a little more blunt about it - I do actually think it's the best cotton option out there, but only marginally. KGD pads beat it out only due to price. Rayon still trumps them all, for my tastes.

Last edited:

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
try #5 - OBS engine nano - 0.2ohm something or other (please excuse the awful pictures...phone seems to be having an acid flashback...)
could have trimmed a wee bit more looking back but it's drawing up the liquid just fine.
speaking of liquid...this is really why i bothered posting.
first time using unflavoured liquid (DIY of course). 80VG/20PG 6mg nic. i wasn't at all sure what to expect. to my delight i really like it. still very satisfying with giant clouds and i'm getting a nice nic hit (though hope to go down to 3mg soon).
so here we are forumites. another step taking down the vaping highway. parp your horn if you see me.

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Beep, beep, I see you. :) Your coil and wick look good, but you're right, it could have used a bit more trimming. You should try to trim off any rayon that would be touching the inside of the chamber wall because any that does will turn brown fairly quickly and affect the taste and longevity of the wick.

When I rewick I vape it for a little while, maybe half an hour or so, then I take a look at the wick. Wherever the rayon is showing brown (normally the bend of the wick) I cut that part off. You would be amazed how much longer the rayon will stay clear after that.

You've got a pretty good handle on how to work with rayon. Soon you'll be a rayon master. :thumbs:

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
a little way to go yet...i did have a quick look and it seems ok (no browning after a good bit of vaping). i'm getting more confident certainly...the less is more thing does take a bit of getting used to but your, and everyone's, help has been invaluable (PM incoming soon by the way).
a dead rabbit, a crius II and a goon clone (and maybe others i've forgotten about...things take so long to arrive) will be getting the same treatment and i think it'll improve with every try. will keep a little stash of cotton but the rest will be passed on to others. bring on try #6 :cool:

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
try #6 - VandyVape mesh RDA.
a first for me this one...really got it to squonk but as that particular mod is still enjoying travelling the high seas we're just going 'regular' RDA for the moment.
SS316L mesh. took about 3mm of its length and 2mm off its width. jammed a reasonable amount of rayon in there but think it'll take more. trimmed what i thought was the right way.
the vape is incredibly good. TC mode at 450F and 60W. warm, thick and chocked full of flavour. runs dry in not too much time at all but easy to drip and keep it juiced. really like this RDA and there are no signs of any leaks so far. try #6 is a success then...will try and squeeze more wick in there next time though. can't wait to try it in bottom feed mode (geekvape athena when it finally arrives...). viva rayon.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
try #7 - OBS Crius II
probably the last try i'll subject you to (or not as not many will probably see it).
new crius II and i'm liking it...a lot. i see a 5th OBS tank in my future...haven't had any issues with any of their products.
anyway, the crius came with a coil pre-installed so it seemed a shame to yank it out and replace it with another. 3.5mm core and clocking 0.39ohms.
have learnt to cut a longer piece of rayon from the roll so there's enough unsquished (?) to fluff and trim.
usual bow-tie after fluffing and then trimmed more than a third off before teasing into the rather generously sized juice holes letting them fall to the bottom but still tucked away from the well where the juice will sit.
it wicks really well letting plenty of my DIY 80VG/20PG flow.
so there we are fellow forumites. my (mis)adventures in rayon. more success than failure. happy with what i've learnt and as always...thank for input, feedback and niceness generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread