my mom just got diagnosed with LUNG disease! ( COPD )

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashora

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
fulton,ny
what do i do? can she vape? she doesn't understand how serious this is. She needs to quit smoking! My bf tryed to exsplain it to her what it is. and she says "as long as it doesn't kill me, i'm good" She is learning disabled. I will exsplain it to her better. Im still smoking myself but just ordered a better e-cig. I have my kr808 i can give her. she just came up stairs. shes says she doesn't care but i got her to change her mine. i hope she quits. she tryed other methods before. and it didnt work.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Sorry to hear that . I wish her the best . Personally i have not been able to quit smoking trying anything but vaping has helped me so much and is the only thing i feel i can actually quit with . You gotta find her a juice she will really love where its so good she wont want to put it down or feel the need to smoke . Once i found that juice (snickerdoodle from mrst in my case) i have been vaping so much more and smoking so much less . Im not a expert and have only been vaping for a month but this is definitely the best choice for her . Another thing that helped me personally is vaping at a higher voltage . This made it feel to me like a true replacement for analogs due to it feeling more like im smoking a cigarette vapor wise . I noticed also my mom which is very stubborn to quit smoking or try ecigs is that it would help if i refilled a bunch of cartos so she wouldnt get turned away by keeping up with cleaning and filling and all the hassle herself which turns some people away . Its best to make it as hassle free as possible . Hope something here can help you .These however are my opinions and everyone is different . It is probably best for her to quit cold turky with her condition but if shes gonna keep smoking analogs then vaping instead can only help i would think .

Taniger1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2011
Pasco, Washington
As long as it won't kill her? Wow really? Most people die from complications. Frankly, it's a long, slow, NASTY death. Pretty much you suffocate, and it happens over YEARS (if your lucky it only happens over months). I was a hospice nurse for 5 years. Let me tell you, folks who die from COPD, die screaming "I CAN"T BREATH". Can't kill you? Wow......

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
As long as it won't kill her? Wow really? Most people die from complications. Frankly, it's a long, slow, NASTY death. Pretty much you suffocate, and it happens over YEARS (if your lucky it only happens over months). I was a hospice nurse for 5 years. Let me tell you, folks who die from COPD, die screaming "I CAN"T BREATH". Can't kill you? Wow......

She's learning disabled. I assume her daugher/ the person posting knows this but she apparently doesn't.

There's actually a lot of people on this board that have COPD.

Taniger1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2011
Pasco, Washington
Yar and I"m one of them /sigh. Youth and stupidity.

Learning disabled doesn't mean Mom can't get a concept. Just means it has to be taught in a different way. Let me think about how I"ve explained COPD to the learning disabled and get back to this. Usually I played a movie that was pretty graphic. Definatly not pretty.

BUT one of the problems with smoking is, we do it. We know it will kill us. "So what" is what most of us said. Maybe the thing to do is tempt her with flavor. Instead of "This is better for you, Mom". I mean I started vapeing to lower my costs. Not because analog's are bad for me. Sometimes attacking a problem from a different viewpoint, works better.

ashora

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
fulton,ny

WOW REALLY? i know this. geeze. next time re read! i didnt need to read that. didnt need the horrible image.

thank you everyone else. i exsplain it to her better and she understands and will be vaping. i will give her my kr808 and let her use my t-rex when shes here (she can keep the kr808 though) and let her use my juice. until she can get her own. i didnt know others had copd on here. thats good to know. again thanks and i will keep you all updated :)

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
I have COPD. While I have been able to not have to use any rescue inhalers, another one that I use I continue to use because COPD is not reversible. Damage is already there and this particular inhaler helps me with lung function to better get oxygen to my blood and body. It is not a fast acting inhaler, it works "best" when used over time. Or that's how it was explained to me by my doctor. Stopping smoking stops further damage. I no longer cough in the morning, and I no longer feel out of breath as bad I did before.

As far as is it safe for your Mom to vape. Only her physicians can answer that based on her medical history and current medical condition. I am certainly no doctor and would not presume to try to answer that one.

Good luck to your Mom. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread