My New 2x14500 Parallel 3.7v Box Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrengles

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to post a photo of my first Mod. The 2 x 14500 batteries are parallel so I still only get 3.7 volts but it should last almost twice as long and the drop off wont be as quick. From what i've read about 13-16 hours? I don't know if this assumption is true. I'm still waiting for my atty connector and batteries.

As for the big 4xAA case, I have really bad RA arthritis, this just made it easier to solder the unit.

Anyone ever use 2 x 14500 batteries parallel before? What was your experience?

Happy vaping & moding!

Last edited:

jmanning

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2010
Amarillo, TX
I built a mod with 2x18650s in parallel. It worked ok, but the additional size was not worth it to me. Might as well just carry a second battery in my pocket. I have since switched to using vv mods. My current goto vape uses 2x14500s in series and a switching regulator that I keep at about 4.2v. At this setting there, the draw on the batteries is very low. This mod will last me 12 hours of heavy vaping, and the first vape is the same as the last. With the lower voltage setting, you can use the batteries all the way down below 3v in this type of mod, a level that would probably not be vapable with a regular unregulated mod, and lets them last a long time.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
I have to agree with the previous post about parallel but as you have arthritis something a little bigger may be what the doctor ordered.

Here is what I made with two 14500's in series and it fits in the hand real nice. It's a lot bigger than some but I like the comfort of the shape. You may want to change out the switch in it for a tactile so it's easier to press but for me I like the way the original works. I am thinking of putting a tactile in place under the current actuator so I don't have to press as hard on it however and still keep the slide back safety of the original. Also the body would work perfect to make it 3 14500's in parallel without the regulator, cutting the cost of the build down. I am really liking the weller because it has so many different ways you can change it up.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modders-forum/185242-vv-weller-bp645.html

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... The 2 x 14500 batteries are parallel so I still only get 3.7 volts but it should last almost twice as long and the drop off wont be as quick. From what i've read about 13-16 hours? I don't know if this assumption is true. I'm still waiting for my atty connector and batteries.

Anyone ever use 2 x 14500 batteries parallel before? What was your experience?
A good move. The cost of building one is the same as a single. Many folks use a single 14500 for LR atties, not a good solution. With all the ohms available these days VV isn't quite as critical as it was in the past.

I got mods of every type, but I still get lots of mileage out of this oh so basic and dirt cheap to build one.

2_14500P_-_1.jpg

That's a 2.5Ω CE2, I also use it for Boge 2Ω cartos and various 510/306 1.5Ω atties. It's basically my grab and go mod for LR offerings. I got the wiring off to the side so as to install the little charging board I've been to lazy to get to.

With those LR atties, if you don't mind stretching it a bit, I get longer vape times than on a VV 14500 equipped mod. This configuration goes head to head with an 18500 but is much easier to build, more compact and cheaper to build.

And forget the various hours folks report, it's about how much liquid you use. If a mod/batteries can handle 3ml of liquid, for some that will be 3 hours vape time, for others that's 6 hours, for some it's all day and for some it's two days.

A few tips.

Note Mr. D's now famous brass 'D cup'. This is pretty much a must, not just for a juice well but for the support (when you drop it) and heat sinking ability. With LR atties the connector can get hot enough to distort the thin plastic on these boxes.

As far as boxes, basic black is far sturdier than the brittle clear/translucent ones.

As far as batteries stick with TrustFires as they fit the boxes I have much better and the sizes are much more consistant that the UltraFires which seem to vary a bit and often require some spring clipping.

mrengles

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Note Mr. D's now famous brass 'D cup'. This is pretty much a must, not just for a juice well but for the support (when you drop it) and heat sinking ability. With LR atties the connector can get hot enough to distort the thin plastic on these boxes.

Were can I find some more info about this Mr. D's brass D-cup? I was thinking about adding some type of heat sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread