My new setup should be here tomorrow! I'm nervous...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelyclov3r

Sep 16, 2013
Maine
So this may sound incredibly silly, but as with all things in life, I'm sure I'm way over thinking this. One of the things I'm most concerned about is whether or not I chose the right amount of nicotine to get started with to avoid cravings and withdrawal/overdosing symptoms.

I chose to start with 24mg which seemed like a good idea at the time considering as of right now I'm a pack a day smoker and I have a tendency to chain smoke. (I'm smoking full-flavored camels) After tooling around in the forums a bit I feel like I may have made a mistake not getting a variety of strengths to try out.

Just in case any of you are wondering what type of setup I decided to start with I'll post that too.
Halo triton tank with the 650 mah battery (it comes with two clearomizers)
And I picked 5-6 eliquids from DFW vapors at 24mg strength.

I went with the halo and DFW vapors for my own reasons, not because of any particular affiliations (I'm aware the triton won't be compatible with other parts so don't worry, it just seemed like the right starting place for me personally)

Specifically what I'm asking is, do you think I made a mistake not choosing a variety of nicotine strengths? Should I jump online and order some more right now? Or do you think I made the right decision and I should judt wait and see how that works for me before I throw out any more cash on e-liquids?

:) Thanks guys in advance. I look forward to making new friends!

Had a run in with this a bit myself. I went with really high nic strengths from a couple juice makers that had a massive throat hit, more so than I wanted really. I've started to step down a bit from say 24mg to 18mg and I'm pretty happy right now.

I know for me, having the high nic juice helped a lot with the cravings. Worst case you may have to get another juice or two thats lower nic to cut down what you have now.

I was a fairly regular 2 pack a day Camel Crush smoker, which I found lighter than the full body camels. You may not have an issue with the throat hit at all.

In any event, congrats on making the move! Those first few days where you wake up not feeling crap are amazing!

yoitstino

Aug 31, 2013
Bay area, ca
24 mg is pretty high you'll have a really big throat hit. My friend smoked a pack a day and used 18 mg and that had a strong throat hit. However, its all about preference. You can start at 24 mg but then start moving down. For me I started using 12 mg for a couple months then moved down to 6 mg. Now I use 1 mg of nicotine with my Nimbus rebuildable tank, blowing clouds.

ksin291

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I found a local guy who sat me down, asked me what brand of cigarettes I smoked, how many and when in the day I smoked the most. He sold me a Vamo v3 kit, that came with some basic 16850 batteries and a charger for $65. He gave me a menthol juice with 36mg of nicotine and told me to vape it only when I got a craving for an analog. Then I got some other juices, 5mg bottles at $5 a pop, to try and find some flavors that I liked. I did what he said and that was the last day I had an analog. Now I've stepped to 18mg and I'm about to step down on my nice round of juices to 12mg. I would suggest that if you're really worried, do the same thing that I did. I would only take about 2-3 vapes of the high nicotine juice and then swap it out, I didn't even get through a who t2 clearo that I had it in and actually tossed the rest of the bottle (almost full) away the other day.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    24mg/ml will be fine. Most places deliver quick so if you change your mind it won't be too long to get new stuff.

I don't see it being just the right amount of nic to get a person off smokes alone. If you ordered 6mg and smoked 2 PADay, then yeah up the nic.

I think ecigs work best when you have a no-fiddle setup you can hit all day. And then it takes some time for the psychological part. That could be weeks, but hey who cares when it's finally the end of it all.

Just sayin that the Crave isn't always the nic dose and ecigs aren't always an instant fix.

lovelyclov3r

Sep 16, 2013
    Maine
    Thanks for all the responses guys!

The act of smoking is a big thing for me (hence the chain smoking and all) so I feel like I'm going to be spending a lot of time vaping. I think you're right Midnight_stray, so I think I'm going to put in an order for a couple of 18mgs. I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea considering that I plan at some point to decrease my nicotine intake so I'll use them either way and it wouldn't be a waste of money.

Thank you guys again for the support. I'm really glad I found this forum because I hardly know anyone here in Maine (transplanted from Florida) and no one I know vapes so I definitely appreciate that this place exists. It should make transitioning to vaping and putting down cigarettes for good a much more pleasant experience.

90quattrocoupe

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 20, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    If you feel yourself getting light headed, back off on how many hits you are taking. If worse comes to worse. You could get some 0ng PG or VG. A couple of small syringes and add the VG/PG to the 36mg. If you add the same amount you already have, it will cut it to 18mg.

I have done this before. Makes the taste a little muted, but it cut the nic level.

Greg W.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 21, 2013
    Toronto
    2 PAD, started at 24 then after 1 month switched to 18 and 7 months later still happy with my 18. I've bought 12 in same flavor as the left over 24, I'll cut it 50-50 with the 12 giving me my desired 18, nothing wasted.

Remember backups for your backups and Water are your friends.

Last edited:

Mrs C

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Different people have different needs. Better to start a bit high and have the satisfaction of needing few hits less often that to need more than you can vape. You can always cut it with a lower nic of the same or a compatible flavor, or even plain vg if you find it's to strong and you can't get something suitable quickly. Pay attention to what your body tells you you need and adjust as needed. It's a learning curve for each of us. If you start feeling weird get a glass of ice water, lay your pv aside for a bit and just relax and listen to your body.

Preloader

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 13, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    24mg was the right choice IMO. I was 1-1.5 PAD, and 24mg keeps me level. I've been trying to drop to 18, but until all my 24mg is gone, I keep reaching for it.

When I'm in the mood to chill on the porch and vape away, I'll go 18. When I need my stronger fixes, like morning, after meals and gettin jiggy, I'll partake in the 24.

Wow1420

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2013
    Somewhere out there
    There's no rule that says you have to stick with the same mg level all day long. You might start off with 24mg, then switch to something (much) lower when you fell you've had enough nic but you still feel like puffing away. The go back to your higher level if you start feeling the itch for a cig.

I've switched between 18mg, 12mg, 9mg and 6mg today.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread