My new tank won't open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I tried that it doesn't budge :( there's no tutorial for opening this tank :( mike just opens it like any other tank.

Have you ever had it apart?
What happens if you tighten it, does it stop turning?
It looks like one that is held together screwing into the top of the coil.

If you answer no to having it apart and yes that it does tighten to a stop, it sounds like your seals are holding your tank together so it gets to the end of the threads and clicks when it gets pulled back together as it goes over the end.
I would turn it to just before it clicks and then try pulling it apart.

I don't have that tank but I have had a SMOK TFV4 where the glass was stuck on the base when new. I don't know why but sometimes the seals are really glued to everything.

Reactions: stols001

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Never had it apart :(
If I tighten it , it stops turning.

I tried to pull it apart just before the click already and it won't open. I asked my boyfriend and he couldn't open it either. Sigh. After spending so much money on tanks that don't have any flavor, to finally getting one that has flavor and it won't open. I read dash vapes policy and it says something about no tank returns, I hope they just mean the glass, because I spent $50 Canadian on this thing with taxes. Really expensive. I couldn't get it cheaper from the us due to $20 shipping charges. Sigh. The horizon tech website won't even load for me. I guess I just wasted $50

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Assuming it is just stuck together it might be worth trying heat and cold. Dunk it in really hot water for a while. That might loosen up any dried juice around the orings, and expand and contract screwed contacts. People say a stint in the freezer can help loosen up stuck joints as well.

Don't know that tank but watching your video it actually looked like you were turning the airflow control. I might be wrong though. I was thinking maybe the click was a stop on the control ring popping once per turn. Is there any section of that bottom part that isn't turning?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

I tried to pull it apart just before the click already and it won't open. I asked my boyfriend and he couldn't open it either. Sigh. After spending so much money on tanks that don't have any flavor, to finally getting one that has flavor and it won't open. I read dash vapes policy and it says something about no tank returns, I hope they just mean the glass, because I spent $50 Canadian on this thing with taxes. Really expensive. I couldn't get it cheaper from the us due to $20 shipping charges. Sigh. The horizon tech website won't even load for me. I guess I just wasted $50

It will come apart. It's just a matter of the right persuasion.
The bad thing is glass can break, seals can tear.

Don't just pull straight apart. Give it some wiggles so the pressure isn't spread out.

Mick's hot water is a good idea. I was going to say a torch but I guess hot water is safer. Less fun but safer.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

nm

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

You are trying to open the base, correct? All I saw in your video is the glass and the barrel(that fits over the atty inside the tank) rotated together when you turned the base so that means it is not engaging the threads. Do not hold the tank in the middle, firmly grip the top cap and top part of glass carefully not allowing the glass and top to turn. See if that helps. I usually use a paper towel on the top and glass, it gives just a little more grip action than bare fingers.

Last edited:

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
I got it open! Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I guess the freezer and hot water loosened it a tiny bit, well I was just turning it for like 20 minutes while watching a movie and it slowly started budging. I saw the glass a little ways from the base, and realized it was working! I kept turning it for another five minutes and it came off yay! So happy! The o ring did not look like an o ring when the tank came off, it must have been jammed somehow. My finger hurts from turni this thing so much . But it worked! Thanks everyone! It opens and closes fine now. Just really scratched up on the bottom from the wrench. Lol. Oh well.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Glad you got it fixed, and yes, keep your O-rings well oiled with eliquid in the hopes this won't happen again.

One thing, I herd you said you "never" opened it before, and that coupled with "bad tasting tanks" that you mentioned, made me want to remind you that tanks are not precleaned from the factory when you buy them. Some tanks may be better than others when it comes to residue and machining oils than others, but regardless you should always do a thorough disassembly and cleaning of all tanks upon arrival. For one, you don't want to be inhaling machining oil, for two, you may wind up with a hard to disassemble tank that you got because it was dirty infused with machining oil, infused with not lubricating your O rings to start with.

It's possible cleaning some of your "horrible taste" tanks might improve things quite a bit, as machine oil takes a bit of effort to remove and just vaping it out is going to probably require a fair amount of eliquid run through them to make that happen. Most folks will use dawn dish soap and hot water or an ultrasonic cleaner etc., and yes include the O-rings in the cleaning process.

Just a thought, good luck and glad you got everything apart.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread