My Octopus RDA hits with harshness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cann0n

Jul 5, 2013
Keystoned Heights, FL
I've been playing with my Octopus rda for about 2 weeks now. I've been getting an extremely harsh hit. I dosed down to 6mg nic level on all of my juices because I don't like a strong throat hit. My stock coil started getting gunky and harsh so I decided to replace the coil to get some hands-on experience rebuilding. I'm new to rebuilding coils, but I know it's not rocket science. I'm using a pre-made 3ohm coil for it, but I just received wicks and wire in the mail (i'm traveling for work so it's waiting at home). I still get a harsh throat hit even at low volts/watts. I've tried adjusting the coils and did my best on reducing any hotspots. It appears to be firing evenly throughout the coil. The performance has gotten slightly better, but there is still a certain harshness associated with the Octopus RDA in my experience.

Some threads I've read suggest drilling new holes and whatnot. I'm not really looking to start tapping holes in this thing to reduce the harshness. If I must do this to improve it, I will. Is there anyone that has had a similar experience with the Octopus RDA?

Exhaler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
Mountains of NC, USA
I have 4 drippers and the times I have had harshness were when the juice was running low, and certain juices when using a newly charged battery in an unregulated mod, this is rare for me though. A new coil/wick needs a little break in in a dripper but usually only about 15 minutes of vaping. My first guess is not enough juice. I keep mine fairly well wet and at first hint in taste it's getting low, I place 6-10 drops in the barrel.

One of my drippers is a 3.2 ohms, and i do have to keep the wattage low, say 8.0-9.0w, or I do get a burnt taste. That would probably be about 3.4-3.6v, I think. So if you have an unregulated battery, probably need a coil around 1.6-2.4 ohms.

Last edited:

gimmieshelter31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Baltimore,MD
The Octopus definitely needs an airhole drilled in front of the coil. The cap is held on by o rings and not threaded which will make positioning easy.
Take the cap off and hold it so the bottom of the cap touches the lip at the bottom of the base (where it would bottom out on the base if installed), use a pencil to mark the height of the coil and drill it. Don't be shy, it's a $10 atty. Start with a 1/16" bit and go bigger if you must.
The side air hole directly in front of the coil will make the vapor less harsh as well as greatly increase the amount of vapor produced.
I drilled mine and the vapor production really went up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread