My only issue with the Provari and how I fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
The Provari was almost obviously designed around and for the AW IMR 18650 button tops that they sell and use. I've disassembled my Provari and the battery lines up perfectly with the small hinges located here.

Now... while the AW IMR's are fine and dandy it's my personal opinion that they're rather pricey compared to their brotherly, and sometimes preferred alternatives, the Panasonic 2250mah IMR batteries.

and those are all I use. Most of the time they work great but sometimes, mostly due to Orbtronic's wrapping, the button-top version of this battery still can't quite reach the pin.

I think this is a little restrictive. If the pin on the board was flush, you could use any IMR 18650 battery in existence regardless of button or no button. I know there are people out there who use magnets with their Provaris but I don't really want to join the club of people who are magnetizing boost converters.

----------------------
I'm not a normal human being. I'm a moody, scatterbrained idiot and sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

In that understanding of myself, I felt it necessary to fix my issue.

So I took my Provari apart, dremeled a battery contact to fit in between the grooves that held the original battery pin, fit the battery contact into the groove and soldered it to the Provari's original pin, all in the efforts of making it so that half of my 18650's could also work in my Provari, rather than just lavatubes and box mods.

Proof
(As for the addressing myself as "gossamer", this post was meant originally for Reddit, that's my username there)

-----------

So that's that, I guess. Discussion? Anyone?

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
Cool mod, but keep in mind you just trashed your warranty to get an extra hour or so of battery life.

and how!

It's not the first expensive thing I've bought and modded in the face of the warranty. You should see all of the graphics cards I've put aftermarket coolers on.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
and how!

It's not the first expensive thing I've bought and modded in the face of the warranty. You should see all of the graphics cards I've put aftermarket coolers on.

I've got a queation for you. Did this involve removing the top cap? If so, how did you remove it? I'm an idiot too, and want to remove the board. I have a fire button that could use a little spacer since the button and switch have a little gap between them and sometimes it doesn't fire unless I make sure I fully depress it. I was thinking that it must have some glue on it and a heat gun might soften it for removal.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
Stick a long thin screwdriver down beside the board, get a hammer and lightly tap it around and the top-cap will pop off.

easy peasy.

btw sorry I haven't updated with much new info. This may sound odd but my father literally just died two days ago so I haven't had much time for the vaping collective, really.

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
I'm very sorry to hear that news.

Stick a long thin screwdriver down beside the board, get a hammer and lightly tap it around and the top-cap will pop off.

easy peasy.

btw sorry I haven't updated with much new info. This may sound odd but my father literally just died two days ago so I haven't had much time for the vaping collective, really.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York

easy peasy.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread