My open letter for those interested in getting started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtianz

ECF Veteran
First and foremost I'd like to commend you for quitting smoking and switching to electronic cigarettes.

Both my wife and I have been cigarette free since making the switch (5 months as of August 1, 2012). Over-all this has been a very positive experience and lifestyle change.

We are experiencing many positive health improvements associated with quitting smoking: improved sense of taste and smell, improved lung efficiency, increased energy, elimination of smelly clothes and bad breath, improved oral health, etc etc.

Unfortunately getting started with ecigarettes isn't as easy as breaking open a pack of cigarettes and striking a match. It does take some time, research, patience for learning and maintenance, motivation to quit smoking, and an initial investment to get started (If you quit smoking you will save thousands..... Don't let money be an excuse to keep you from quitting!)

The best resource and the largest online vaping community is here:
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

Below is a summary of what I would recommend purchasing for someone ready to quit smoking.

The ecigarette:
There are probably 100 different ecigarette options available, but eventually most people end up buying one of these devices. Save money and just buy one of these to begin with.

Buzz Pro
http://www.notcigs.com

This device is simple to use, built well, and has multiple protective circuits built into the electronics to prevent battery failure.

Provari
http://www.provape.com

The Provari is made of stainless steel and is pretty much bulletproof. It sets the gold standard that every other ecigarette gets measured against. It also has built in safety features and a host of bells and whistles.
That said it does not have the same ease of use as the Buzz Pro and there is definitely a price premium paid.

!!! VERY IMPORTANT !!!
Both companies sell chargers and batteries on their websites. I'd highly recommend buying the batteries they sell to go with the device. These aren't your typical energizer/duracell batteries. They are special high output "protected" batteries that have been tested to work safely in these ecigarettes.
Read more about battery safety here:
Rechargeable Batteries

Cartomizer:
15 packs of boge 3 ohm cartomizers - best deal out there from:
Crystal Clear Vaping

Eliquid:
This is the most difficult recommendation as everyone's tastes vary. There are a lot of highly recommended makers - many of which I have found to produce an inferior product. (Again this is completely subjective and I could make a list of at least 10 favorite vendors. Check here for some of those vendors: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/ The best liquids I have found to this point come from:

Halo:
E-liquid / Smoke Juice by Halo

I have also enjoyed a few of the liquids from Alien Visions:
Alien Visions E-Juice

There are others and I would encourage experimentation. Typical advice is to buy smaller bottles (samplers) to find the flavors that suit your individual tastes.

What my wife and I are currently using:
Buzz Pro
3.5ml matching "tank"
3 ohm boge cartomizer
Halo Tribecca eliquid

I really like using a "tank" setup as it reduces the amount of daily filling and the need to top off liquids. I also don't need to carry any spare cartomizers or liquids this way.
The link on how to setup a tank:
$7.00 Carto punch from local hardware store - YouTube

And for those who choose not to heed my advice or need a cheaper alternative there is a simple device available from most vendors (eGo/kGo):
KGO 1100 MAH
KGO kit1100mAh by SLB

Crystal clear vaping 1.7 ohm resurrectors (work well with EGO/KGO batteries)
Crystal Clear Vaping

Best of Luck and Happy Vaping!

Ian

Last edited:

gtianz

ECF Veteran
I have had a number of people who ask for advice on how to get started with ecigarettes. When this happens I don't even know where to begin since there are so many different options and so many places people need to place orders from. So outside of directing them here to the ECF forums I decided to write up a somewhat concise directive from my personal experiences with equipment and vendors.

I haven't done much research over the past few months and I'm sure that there are things I should consider updating / changing. I also realize that I'm leaving out a broad range of products and devices. This is partly by design to keep things simple.

I am open to suggestions and improvements. Feel free to tell me what you think.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
You might want to consider advice for those who refuse to get something bigger than a cigarette-sized model...
--Smokeless Image Volt or Bloog MaxxFusion or Halo G6

And you might want to consider advice for those who feel they MIGHT be able to deal with something the size of a sharpie...
--Ego Twist variable voltage

And if it was me, I would recommend that every beginner pick up a sample of Dekang DK-TAB.
It is the only juice that I don't think I've ever heard anybody NOT like.
:)

DISCLAIMER: For the record, I don't like any of Halo's "tobacco" juices except the Prime 15
DISCLAIMER: And also for the record, the Tribeca is fantastic, but way too sweet for me to use regularly

gtianz

ECF Veteran
You might want to consider advice for those who refuse to get something bigger than a cigarette-sized model...
--Smokeless Image Volt or Bloog MaxxFusion or Halo G6

And you might want to consider advice for those who feel they MIGHT be able to deal with something the size of a sharpie...
--Ego Twist variable voltage

And if it was me, I would recommend that every beginner pick up a sample of Dekang DK-TAB.
It is the only juice that I don't think I've ever heard anybody NOT like.
:)

DISCLAIMER: For the record, I don't like any of Halo's "tobacco" juices except the Prime 15
DISCLAIMER: And also for the record, the Tribeca is fantastic, but way too sweet for me to use regularly

I like all of your suggestions!

Any more juice vendor recommendations? I've tried at least 10 of them including some of the ones people rave about here. I have a very short list of vendors I would consider purchasing from again.

edit:
If I add any info about the cigarette sized models it would be to just go ahead and write me a check for $30 and save themselves the headache.
I'll add the ego twist to the end list.

Last edited:

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
Actually, the cig sized models USED to suck. I tried it last year and failed miserably. I have a Zenesis I chain vape from all night, but I still use my Smokeless Image Volt X2s (basically a 3.7 volt 808 threaded eGo with clearos) at my desk at work, and I take my little 78mms to bars and concerts. Vapor production on both, while less than the Zen, is enough to satisfy any cravings I have, and I'm surprised every time... but they work.

Without the mini, I'd be sitting here with a Marlb in my mouth. I've converted 4 people who all started with the minis. 2 stayed with minis, one used a mini, stopped vaping and smoking after one month, the other is now vaping exclusively on minis. A third just moved up to X2s after switching to full time vaping over the course of a month, and the 4th is coming by to pick up 2 of my X2s with clearos to try those out because she isn't sure she'd like the size. None of these people would have used a bigger device on day 1.

Rivaman

May 4, 2012
London
Provari/Tank is pretty high end, I'm finding Ego/Rivas with Stardust replaceables more than satisfactory, don't even need VV much. Also it matters a lot whether vaping will be done outdoors or at work where most people will want a smaller device. One smoker even said my 300mah mini ego looked 'silly', I don't agree but its peoples perceptions that matter right or wrong! Anyway nice idea even though I think there will be as many different recommendations as people you ask!

Justjames

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2012
California
I also just start e-cig and refused to use anything bigger than mini (cigs look alike). The reason is easier to carry around. I only a half a pack smoker so the 78mm give me enough juice for almost all day. If I were a chain smoker I might look for something bigger and last longer per charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wishdog

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2012
Hazel Green
Those who are new or thinking of vaping should not be steered toward a Provari. A twist is getting a little complicated for most people. Or, not so much that alone, but there's cartos and tanks etc.

If you don't know if you're going to like it. EGO battery, LR Stardust tanks, mint liquid at 24mg. And you should buy it for them (with their money) because going to just one website will blow their little minds.

Unless the person is a natural researcher, as most of us here are, this forum might scare them off if it is shown to them before they try it.

My opinion. Keep it simple. Especially for the "I can't use a computer, I don't know how they work" older demographic (which seems to be dwindling.)

Edited to add: Plus, my simple reccomendations keeps the cost less than a week of smokes. And a passthrough might be a better option than just a normal EGO. I would not reccomend the default cone atomizer with little tank mouthpeice thing for a first timer as I burnt the living crap out of mine. Though I think it was for the better in the long run. As they get more into the whole scene, CE3s and tanks and VV yeah yeah yeah. But to convert a person, you don't throw them at the high end.

(I cannot spell reccomend and refuse to fix it.)

Last edited:

Feuille

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2012
My recommendation would be a 950 or 1000 mAh Joyetech eGo. Readily available, doddle to use and maintain, compatible with a lot of options, lasts for 9.5-10 hours of chain vaping, comes in a big range of colours, looks smart, charges fast, not too weird a jump from cigarettes.

Still haven't figured out what the advantages of variable voltage models are. I understand about different outputs etc, but not how this affects the experience. I just want a consistent experience and my non-vv device does that perfectly. I also feel that the Provari looks INCREDIBLY ugly, so would not be interested unless that changes. If I'm going to be holding something all day it has to look good and feel satisfying to hold.

Juices are highly subjective, and taste generally changes over the first few months as sense of smell recovers from smoking, so I'd advise people to get lots of 5-10ml samples from a range of manufacturers and to have fun taking time to figure out what will suit them in the long run. If a juice isn't to your taste, don't ditch it, just put it away and try it again periodically.

Unsure as yet what atomiser system I prefer, but the eGo-T type A standard resistance tank (with the caps replaced with silicone versions for a better seal) is high on my list, as are boge 3 ohm cartomisers (with an aluminium drip tip and a cover to match the eGo battery). A 3.5 ml metal DCT tank (with 2.5 ohm resistance dct smoketech cartomisers inside and a ring to conceal the outer treads of my battery) is also high up for me. Not so keen on the eGo-T type B, though it's fine. Loathe stardusts/clearomisers and similar. All systems have pros and cons so for now I switch according to situation.

What I have learnt is that that there us little consensus on these matters, and that opinions are strong, so the main advice I'd give would be is to keep your kit simple and to stick with it even if it isn't quite right until you have saved enough to upgrade. Stick to your own instincts about what YOU think will best suit YOUR needs, then adjust accordingly. Explain what you need/want/like/dislike/hate when seeking advice and when you get/read advice, ask about the needs/wants/likes/dislikes etc of the person advising, so you better know how to use their advice.

Xx

Last edited:

JAY73

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
CLEBURNE TX
i always recommend the epower it is a good solid 3,7v device you can replace the batts for less than a pack of smokes and can use almost anything thats 510 & also the vivi nova because carto tanks can and will flood cartos burne and the other clearomizers i tried leaked as far as juice tell them to keep trying unt you find one you like then look for some more that you may like....

gtianz

ECF Veteran
Based on all of your responses perhaps I will do a rewrite and put a "starter kit" using the EGO/KGO batteries.

I know that for my wife and myself the EGO's were used for about 1 month before we both had upgraded to VV devices. That was approximately $120 wasted.

This is precisely why I was writing this up. It is an attempt to make something complex into a somewhat simple guide that I can simply email those interested in making an effort to quit smoking.

Ian

Wishdog

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2012
Hazel Green
If you spent $120 on two EGOs I'm guessing you got "ripped off" with kits.

Here's me picking some cheap stuff for a first timer (who may or may not continue):
High Desert Ecigs - Age Verification (wow, that's irritating the way it named the links) Battery
High Desert Ecigs - Age Verification claro
High Desert Ecigs - Age Verification juice
That's around $30ish, and besides the battery, I didn't really like the selection.

Take 2:
AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | AltSmoke.com | eGo-C Twist Battery (VV rather than passthrough)
AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | T2 Clearomizer - 2.4ml, Changeable Coil/Atomizer Head (changable heads)
http://altsmoke.com/accessories/510-cartomizers/t2-replacement-coil-atomizer-head.html (Healthcabin has 5 for $5)
AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | 5ml - High Caliber Samplers - E-Liquid

Actually, I probably wouldn't order the juice from there, I'd let them try some of my stuff and just give them what they liked.

I first got a kit with 2x 650s and dumb ego cones for $20 from DealXtreme. The batteries and charger are all that I still have. Picked up a 1100 passthrough from HighDesert and used Boges for a while. Then got CE3s and never looked back. The only tank I have is a T2 and I need to order more heads (see note on HC above). And I'm sick of fail-samples and I've gone DIY (but I would reccomend the samples at Blue Mist but stay away from their "tobacco") And I liked the stuff I got from MadVapes except for the waffle, which had no flavor (and yes, i steeped it for a month). Hated everything from ECBlend.

So, there you go. Sorry about the typos I'm supposed to leave the house a minute ago.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I started with a set of two Leo batts with a 510 converter a friend sent to me no charge to see if I liked vaping and I did.. I then got a kgo then a lavatube then a provari. Yeah I'd rather of went straight to the provari but I didn't loose too much money ha.. I still can't believe people waste money on those mall e cigs. Most people have smart phones and right there on the spot with 5 min research you'll know it is a scam.

manifestgtr

Mar 27, 2011
lowell mass
I whole heartedly agree with those who don't think that recommending big mods right off the bat is a good idea

first of all...the provari as a first device? you have to stop and think about that for a second...there are so many things that that does that would have even annoyed/confused me last year at this time...and I'd already been using electronic cigarettes for a year at that point but was completely virgin to the world of mods

I ALWAYS point people in the direction of an ego type model (more specifically the inferno since I still use my USB battery in the car a year and a half later!)

getting someone into this is much about keeping things as simple as you can without having to stoop to greensmoke...the last thing someone who's recently stopped smoking needs in their life is a bunch of equipment around that they need to learn to use, remember to bring, etc...then theres learning about battery safety...the list is endless

also...what do you say to them after they spend $300 getting all set up and are completely not into it? oops...my bad?

at any rate...I think an egoesque model for beginners is the way to go...good battery life, simplicity and if they don't like it, they're out $100 tops, they gave it a try and they don't have this beautiful, high end device collecting dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread