My Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Survivalism

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
Aurora, Colorado
Well after a couple months of lieing to myself i have finally made up my mind on what i am going to do, i am going to make my first e-cig.

DealExtreme: $14.99 Romisen RC-A8 Cree P4-WC 130-Lumen LED Flashlight with Strap (1*CR123A)

DealExtreme: $6.92 SpiderFire LC-16340 3.6V 880mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (4-Pack)

DealExtreme: $5.16 Digital CR123A Battery AC Charger

I plan to obviously chop off the front of the flashlight, i plan to leave the clicky on the back as a master on off, then install a small tactile switch somewhere, not sure as to where yet. I also plan to rig a red LED. I plan to use 801 atomisers / carts with this for sustained batt life and cart life.

Can someone give me a diagram for how the wiring should look?

Im going to purchase the stuff from dealextreme tomorrow.. going to just buy some atomisers and carts from a vendor ( where do i get the best 801 atomisers? ) and then hit up my local radio shack for the other parts i need.

I will update this as i go on of coarse, i am very handy at things like this but it is by far my biggest project i have done so far.

taukimada

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Tullahoma, Tn
www.youtube.com
Well after a couple months of lieing to myself i have finally made up my mind on what i am going to do, i am going to make my first e-cig.

DealExtreme: $14.99 Romisen RC-A8 Cree P4-WC 130-Lumen LED Flashlight with Strap (1*CR123A)

DealExtreme: $6.92 SpiderFire LC-16340 3.6V 880mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (4-Pack)

DealExtreme: $5.16 Digital CR123A Battery AC Charger

I plan to obviously chop off the front of the flashlight, i plan to leave the clicky on the back as a master on off, then install a small tactile switch somewhere, not sure as to where yet. I also plan to rig a red LED. I plan to use 801 atomisers / carts with this for sustained batt life and cart life.

Can someone give me a diagram for how the wiring should look?

Im going to purchase the stuff from dealextreme tomorrow.. going to just buy some atomisers and carts from a vendor ( where do i get the best 801 atomisers? ) and then hit up my local radio shack for the other parts i need.

I will update this as i go on of coarse, i am very handy at things like this but it is by far my biggest project i have done so far.

here's some advice...

before buying your parts.. check this thread...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modders-forum/3759-my-diy-dse901-magnum-power.html

there's some great advice.. and better.. there is a video showing step by step how to make it...

couple things i would change on it... flashlight casing... why wait a month for a flashlight you can buy at say.. advanced auto parts 2 for $5... and soldering might be easier OUTSIDE the casing then inserted afterward...

Survivalism

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
Aurora, Colorado
But i wouldnt have the help of this forum when things go south haha. I may go check out some hardware stores to see if i can find a different casing i like, but i really do like that screwdriver clone. I plan to do all the soldering out of the case and put it inside and i have already read that thread and watched the video :)

EDIT: Wow sorry i didnt see your post davey, thanks a ton for the wiring diagram! I am going to be ordering the stuff from dealextreme today, and probably 3-4 atomisers and around 10 carts... unfortunatly ecigmall doesnt sell empty carts :(

Last edited:

Survivalism

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
Aurora, Colorado
Well i tried to make this and i cant seem to get it to work :( pretty damn upsetting.

I took out the LED so i have it wired like this.

The circuit board ( which is a bit melted and i dont think works anymore ) to the switch from the switch to the inner coupling. Negative is the inside of the flashlight casing right? so i just need to touch the outisde of the coupling to the inside of the flashlight.

I got it to work for one second last night but now i cant get it to work at all, im very frustrated and have no money left to buy anything.

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
I took the resistor and LED out, this is really frustrating me and im hoping that someone can help me figure out why it isnt getting power.

Maybe the switch you added in burnt out - sounds like it did to me. Try bypassing the switch and see if the atomizer gets hot just using the main flashlight switch.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
If you do not have one already, you need a cheap multimeter to test for continuity and voltage, at minimum. You could have a bad switch, miswired the device with the LED, broken a wire, have a bad connection with the atomizers, used dead or dying batteries, spilled a milkshake in the flashlight, created a solder bridge on the circuit board, etc. A meter would help you to hunt these problems down.

The diagram below is based on madog's 901 Magnum.

MagnumModWiringSchematic.jpg

The attached diagram was posted by another user (sorry I forgot who it was) and nicely shows a version without an LED. You can really see how the parts would go together in this configuration.

Attachments

• wiringdiagram2.jpg
    wiringdiagram2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 64

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
5mm LEDs from Radio Shack can run on 5.0v with a max of 6.0v. I think the resistor does two things. First, it lengthens the life of the LED and protects it against voltage spikes over 6.0v which canhappen with a Magnum using 2 CR2 cells. Second, the resistor reduces the brightness of the LED making it less blinding.

OK, now THAT schematic makes sense. A separate lead to the LED instead of all the power running through the resistor.

Don't they make LEDs that can handle 3.7v, thereby making the resistor pointless?

Survivalism

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
Aurora, Colorado
Well i took out my switch and was able to get it working with the back switch, i found out that it only supplied power when the back switch was held all the way down. I tried it again holding down the back switch and it did not work. Then i tried it once more with a different switch and wasnt able to get it to work :(

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
After wasting 2 flash lights, I decided to make one from scratch. Don's laugh. :oops:
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

I like that a lot! Very steampunk looking... I myself have been wondering about using brass tubing, I like your mod very nice and functional I think.

For your next mod, consider using these batteries for a slimmer design they are 3.7v 2400mah batteries just a tad bit longer than AA ---> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19624

Last edited:

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Very nice mod, NukRay:cool:. You need to get your post count up so you can start a thread and tell us all about it. I want details. A parts list. An explanation of how it is wired and how it is held together.

In about 5 minutes someone else will be along to ask for a video of it. In about 20 minutes someone will be PMing you to ask you to make one for them. All this attention means we like it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread