My resistance tester arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
I ordered the $10 fasttech one, it's shockingly small. Shorter and a little less depth than a grand, but a hair wider.

My current coil is 1.62 if you were wondering. Made it blind since I don't have the provari or zmax anymore. Time to play a little.

I have two questions:

1) Have you tested it against a multimeter or anything to check accuracy?

2) I'm assuming because of your reading, but it does go down to the 0.00 (don't remember what that last decimal is called).

I'm very curious because I ordered one, so theoretically it's on it's way,, but you know, fasttech...

Thanks!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

sbmqcy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Quincy, IL, USA
I have two questions:

2) I'm assuming because of your reading, but it does go down to the 0.00 (don't remember what that last decimal is called).

I'm very curious because I ordered one, so theoretically it's on it's way,, but you know, fasttech...

Thanks!

Hundredths

<gently pushes glasses up nose and nervous giggle-snorts>

Sent from my mobile

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
VAPEMAIL!!!!
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1494601

small_zps6dfb58cd.jpg

This thing is surprisingly small!

Now to experiment (aka build my own USB re-chargeable ohm meter)!

runningonli_ion_zps47e0eb26.jpg

Ok, it's working, this is the 2x AA unit working..but not on 2x AA, it's working on a single 14500 (AA sized) Li Ion battery

Accuracy: on my MVP2 the head that is on it sometimes reads 2.6Ω and sometimes reads 2.7Ω, reading on the unit shows why

rigged_zpsef8bd499.jpg

Ok...let me explain
A. The battery is a 14500 el-cheapo from fasttech, using the batteries in a Cree flashlights, the protection circuit went to crap so I removed it (NOT ADVISABLE)
B. Had to build a bypass to complete the electrical circuit to power the unit, it is simply a piece of pencil cut off to the length of an AA battery then wrapped in aluminum foil (again NOT ADVISABLE)
C. Unit works JUST FINE with a Li Ion battery in it

Now what I plan to do
I plan to make this a self contained USB rechargeable ohm meter..how do you ask?

Well by
A. Putting in one of these TP4056 5V 1A Lithium Battery Charging Board Charger Module in the center battery compartment, the specs say it is 15mm wide, however due to the "extra" on the PCB I am sure I can whittle off 1/2 mm on either side without hitting the traces (actually might not need to because the 14mm wide battery sits in the battery slot with extra room)...AND its a 1A unit which is WAY to high for a single 14500 battery, but knowing the schematics of the TP4056 IC Li Ion charging chip I can change the RProg resistor on pin 2 to a 10k Ω resistor and limit the CC/CV to 130mA, which should be safe to charge a small 900mAh battery.

B. Rewire the unit to not only charge the single cell from the above module, but to run from the single cell battery in the other slot

Without modifying the 1A resistor and completely removing the battery you could create a USB only run rig, power the unit directly from the USB module...but I want mine to be portable :)

Nice little setup for $11 bones

Oh yeah...this was just a test, for "operational theory" not using that protection removed Li Ion battery, just had it and wanted to see if the unit would run with a Li Ion battery vs 2x AA batts

Last edited:

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
I have two questions:

Thanks!

1. Not yet. But since it read the same hundredths column each time...I was pleased. I will hit with a meter also and report back if there is bad news.

2. With nothing on it, the meter flashed a single "1" when turned on. I didn't read the manual, that could indicate open.

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
OK, this is way better than when I used the provari. I'm rocking a 1.32 on my mini with a 1/16th hole and loving it.

And I have a rebuildable that isn't bottom feeder...now has a permanent home. The base of it does at least.

Yeah, I picked up a $5 squid RDA to build on. When I have the money it will morph into a rm2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread