My response from Tobacco Free Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steph2323

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montgomery County Pa
Dear Stephanie,

It is our organization's stance that all products containing nicotine, which is classified as a drug, should be regulated by the FDA. We support the use of FDA-approved nicotine replacement therapies and other FDA-approved cessation medications because they have undergone rigorous scientific review for their safety and efficacy. While we're happy that you were able to quit smoking regular cigarettes with e-cigarettes, the device still lacks the scientific evidence to show that they are both safe and effective. If, as the manufacturers claim, these products are safer than regular cigarettes in delivering nicotine, they should go through the FDA approval process for proof to substantiate these claims. Until there is scientific evidence supporting its safety and efficacy, we cannot support its use as a cessation device.

The World Health Organization has issued an advisory on e-cigarettes, warning that they are not considered a legitimate therapy for smokers trying to quit:
“The electronic cigarette is not a proven nicotine replacement therapy," said Dr Ala Alwan, Assistant Director-General of WHO's Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health Cluster. "WHO has no scientific evidence to confirm the product's safety and efficacy. Its marketers should immediately remove from their web sites and other informational materials any suggestion that WHO considers it to be a safe and effective smoking cessation aid."
WHO | Marketers of electronic cigarettes should halt unproved therapy claims

Since E-cigarettes are drug delivery devices, they should fall under the FDA's purview. This is why we are calling on the FDA to assert its authority to regulate the product. Our organization also advocates for giving the FDA the authority to regulate all tobacco products. Despite being the deadliest product sold in America, tobacco products are among the least regulated products sold in America. They are exempt from basic health regulations that apply to other consumer products, such as food, drugs and even lipstick. Current proposed legislation would allow the FDA, among other things, to regulate all health-related claims about tobacco products to ensure they are scientifically proven and do not discourage current tobacco users from quitting or encourage new users to start.

Kind regards,

Jessica Kuehne
Research Associate
Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
1400 Eye Street NW, Suite 1200
Washington, DC 20005
202-481-9320
www.tobaccofreekids.org

Anyone want to join me in writing to this organization? Boy, am I going to have fun responding to this one.
Stephanie

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Hey... interesting response you got there. Gotto love the form letters.

What I find really interesting is that the responses from these "tobacco free" groups like this one, really aren't against tobacco, but against nicotine. If you read between the lines, they definitely WANT nicotine regulated by the FDA because then it makes it impossible to get nicotine at all!

It is surprising that if they are against the harmful effects of tobacco, then they would be against the tobacco. To simply not listen to ANY of the reports made by any manufacturers shows their unwillingness to listen.

I can see their press release in 20 years if they get their way with nicotine: Tobacco Free Kids has nothing better to do so we have decided to become Caffeine Free Kids!

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
Kudos for getting this letter. This stands out:

If, as the manufacturers claim, these products are safer than regular cigarettes in delivering nicotine, they should go through the FDA approval process for proof to substantiate these claims

I hope anyone who is still making 'safe' claims is extremely aware of this position at this stage. These groups should not be able to cite these 'safe' claims as a call for operation. I notice they said manufacturers and not suppliers. I wonder if they differentiate. I think the booklets in all the generic kits I have had shipped to me made 'safe' claims.

Last edited:

C-kool Dad '09

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Brookfield, WI - USA
Well done. Nice to know what the 'Other Side' is thinking - if you call that thinking! This is TYPICAL - head in the sand - straight & narrow, etc, etc.

Don't want to anger anyone here, but kind of reminds me of the "March of Dimes", oh yes, they are still around only with OTHER causes now that POLIO is no longer in vouge, if you will. In other words, these guys will always be around. Hey, they got to 'protect' their phoney-baloney JOBS, don't you know? They will NEVER be satisfied, meanwhile drugs, (both illicit AND particularly prescription) don't seem to be of much concern. Trust me, I know from experience that a 17 yr old can wake-up DEAD and not from nicotine!!! REALLY, who funds these phoneys?

Venting is good / Vaping much more better.

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
I'm fairly confident that there are significantly more alcohol and obesity related deaths than there are nicotine related deaths each year, yet Alcohol isn't banned and neither is McDonald's. Both of those have been proven to be addictive or to have addictive qualities. I'd go as far as to say that grain alcohol is poison. It can certainly kill a person with relatively small doses.

Steph2323

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montgomery County Pa
Hey... interesting response you got there. Gotto love the form letters.

What I find really interesting is that the responses from these "tobacco free" groups like this one, really aren't against tobacco, but against nicotine. If you read between the lines, they definitely WANT nicotine regulated by the FDA because then it makes it impossible to get nicotine at all!

It is surprising that if they are against the harmful effects of tobacco, then they would be against the tobacco. To simply not listen to ANY of the reports made by any manufacturers shows their unwillingness to listen.

I can see their press release in 20 years if they get their way with nicotine: Tobacco Free Kids has nothing better to do so we have decided to become Caffeine Free Kids!
You are right Lacey. Although their mission statement is about tobacco, this fight is about nicotine. I also went on the "GuideStar.Org, which is a very interesting website. It contains all info on NonProfits, and has the tax returns(called 990 on the site). The site is free to join, and one of it's purposes is to have info about the nonprofits so potential donors can look at their finances prior to donating. The numbers for them are interesting. They get money from the Cancer and Lung socities,among others, so they are all intertwined. Also, their salaries aren't bad either for a non profit. If we really wanted to make a difference, the info is out there. It would take a lot of writing and exposing,and we would need a legal team(they spend a lot of money at law firms). For example, I could write on the GuideStar website that what they are doing is different from what their mission is, and maybe they won't get some donations, but I would probably get sued for slander.

Stephanie

Last edited:

Steph2323

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montgomery County Pa
Well done. Nice to know what the 'Other Side' is thinking - if you call that thinking! This is TYPICAL - head in the sand - straight & narrow, etc, etc.

Don't want to anger anyone here, but kind of reminds me of the "March of Dimes", oh yes, they are still around only with OTHER causes now that POLIO is no longer in vouge, if you will. In other words, these guys will always be around. Hey, they got to 'protect' their phoney-baloney JOBS, don't you know? They will NEVER be satisfied, meanwhile drugs, (both illicit AND particularly prescription) don't seem to be of much concern. Trust me, I know from experience that a 17 yr old can wake-up DEAD and not from nicotine!!! REALLY, who funds these phoneys?

Venting is good / Vaping much more better.

Very true.
Stephanie

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
You are right Lacey. Although their mission statement is about tobacco, this fight is about nicotine. I also went on the "GuideStar.Org, which is a very interesting website. It contains all info on NonProfits, and has the tax returns(called 990 on the site). The site is free to join, and one of it's purposes is to have info about the nonprofits so potential donors can look at their finances prior to donating. The numbers for them are interesting. They get money from the Cancer and Lung socities,among others, so they are all intertwined. Also, their salaries aren't bad either for a non profit. If we really wanted to make a difference, the info is out there. It would take a lot of writing and exposing,and we would need a legal team(they spend a lot of money at law firms). For example, I could write on the GuideStar website that what they are doing is different from what their mission is, and maybe they won't get some donations, but I would probably get sued for slander.

Stephanie

Yes... be very careful with groups like that. They are infamous for sending letters to the FDA forcing them to act by threatening to sue. They helped lead the charge against NicoWater. They have absolutely no desire to see people off of tobacco. It is all about ending nicotine completely. Quite sad.

Steph2323

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montgomery County Pa
Yes... be very careful with groups like that. They are infamous for sending letters to the FDA forcing them to act by threatening to sue. They helped lead the charge against NicoWater. They have absolutely no desire to see people off of tobacco. It is all about ending nicotine completely. Quite sad.
Sad but true. I'll keep it low key,especially after seeing their financials and all of the money they spend on lawyers. It's all such a farce. Thanks for the advice Lacey
Stephanie

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
The only way to fight groups like this one is do to them what they are doing to you, maybe someone, someday will have the vision of a group called "caffeine free kids" (nobody can drink caffeine near kids, force quit people from using caffeine), "fat free kids" (no fat food near of kids and force verybody to quit eating fat food), "free sex kids" (No sex near of a kid 100mts aorund even if is asleep or walls are between them, force people to quit having sex other than for reproductive pourpose) or something very absurd and stupid like that, not for free the kids of anything, but for take away from groups like TFK a pleasure that don't hurt anybody else than the user, then maybe, just maybe they will see the horrible stupid thing they are doing in name of the kids.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
The only way to fight groups like this one is do to them what they are doing to you, maybe someone, someday will have the vision of a group called "caffeine free kids" (nobody can drink caffeine near kids, force quit people from using caffeine), "fat free kids" (no fat food near of kids and force verybody to quit eating fat food), "free sex kids" (No sex near of a kid 100mts aorund even if is asleep or walls are between them, force people to quit having sex other than for reproductive pourpose) or something very absurd and stupid like that, not for free the kids of anything, but for take away from groups like TFK a pleasure that don't hurt anybody else than the user, then maybe, just maybe they will see the horrible stupid thing they are doing in name of the kids.

I am an eternal optimist... ok... well not all of the time. But I see this on our very near horizon. I see thousands of smokers finally standing up and saying this is bull****. There is something I would rather smoke finally! and you want to take it away? Nope.

These groups have fed fear for long enough and those days are quickly coming to an end. They will be forced to come out onto the carpet and make their real agenda known. There are tests being done and have been done and there will be more popping up here. We should be seeing the Clinical Trial tests here shortly and guess what, those results can be used by anyone because they aren't based on a liquid specific manufacturer, but an idea that the ecig is a viable alternative to tobacco. This, I think, will be huge in that it definitely allows the ecig to put itself up in comparison to tobacco which is what we NEED to be compared to, not the NRT's.

Oh... I see a very sunny day ahead.

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
I'm fairly confident that there are significantly more alcohol and obesity related deaths than there are nicotine related deaths each year, yet Alcohol isn't banned and neither is McDonald's. Both of those have been proven to be addictive or to have addictive qualities. I'd go as far as to say that grain alcohol is poison. It can certainly kill a person with relatively small doses.

Yes, alcohol is technically poison. That's how it alters a person's mind and physical state. Too much poison results in sickness (vomit, etc.) and possible death.... from alcohol poisoning.

Steph2323

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montgomery County Pa
I am an eternal optimist... ok... well not all of the time. But I see this on our very near horizon. I see thousands of smokers finally standing up and saying this is bull****. There is something I would rather smoke finally! and you want to take it away? Nope.

These groups have fed fear for long enough and those days are quickly coming to an end. They will be forced to come out onto the carpet and make their real agenda known. There are tests being done and have been done and there will be more popping up here. We should be seeing the Clinical Trial tests here shortly and guess what, those results can be used by anyone because they aren't based on a liquid specific manufacturer, but an idea that the ecig is a viable alternative to tobacco. This, I think, will be huge in that it definitely allows the ecig to put itself up in comparison to tobacco which is what we NEED to be compared to, not the NRT's.

Oh... I see a very sunny day ahead.
Regardless of what happens, I think we have reached a turning point here for smokers/nicotine users,ect. We cannot sit back and take this anymore. We have been beaten down for so long and really need to come together(as we are doing here) and fight back. Not sure what the right approach is,but we have to do it.
Stephanie

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Regardless of what happens, I think we have reached a turning point here for smokers/nicotine users,ect. We cannot sit back and take this anymore. We have been beaten down for so long and really need to come together(as we are doing here) and fight back. Not sure what the right approach is,but we have to do it.
Stephanie

I see you are on RTV! Good. You should be.

Also, once we get the association up and rolling, we are going to offer opportunities for users to do things. We don't know what yet. Can I put your name in my bag of folks who have shown interest? I would be happy to keep you updated.

Steph2323

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montgomery County Pa
I see you are on RTV! Good. You should be.

Also, once we get the association up and rolling, we are going to offer opportunities for users to do things. We don't know what yet. Can I put your name in my bag of folks who have shown interest? I would be happy to keep you updated.
Absolutely! I haven't checked RTV for a while because I ran out of energy from writing letters,ect here lol. My only issue is that I have chronic pain, so some days I can do more than others. It's unpredictable, but when I can, I am more than happy to help in anyway. Thanks!
Stephanie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread