My results with the ol' Bridge Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtdisturbed47

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Today I noticed some fibers sticking out from under the bridge on my 901 and RN4072 atties. I took a toothpick to the fibers and was able to take them out from under the bridge. I'm assuming they are used to wick the liquid to the coil.

They appeared burned badly, so I was glad to have them out from under the atty bridge. Having burned nylon threads doesn't seem like a good thing.

Upon removal of the threads, I thought to myself that the bridge must be absorbing heat from the coil, cutting down on the coil's efficiency. Now, as a 10-year computer tech and performance computer builder, I am always looking for ways to get the most that I can out of electronic devices (like overclocking my processors or modding the case for better airflow). So I took it upon myself to go ahead and remove the bridge. It was extremely easy, even with the very deep RN4072 atty. Took a mere couple minutes from start to finish with all 4 of my atties. Push the mesh off the bridge, grab the bridge with tweezers, give a little wiggle and work the edges of the bridge out from where they are secured.

Don't get me wrong, I was worried at first so I tried on the atty I have that hasn't been performing well, in case I trashed it. After the success on that atty, I did it to all 4. Sure, this forces me to drip, but for me that's not a bad thing.

Well, as I suspected, the bridge must rob the coil of heat, thus reducing its max possible output at the voltage I use (3.7v). After the removal of the bridges, I immediately noticed an increase in TH, vapor, and flavor vs dripping with a bridge. It's quite an increase and worth letting people know about.

I don't suggest it to everyone, but if you have a spare atty, it's worth trying, but only if you drip. The bridge delete makes using a cart pretty much useless unless you use an elaborate cart mod that drips automatically onto the coil.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I like the idea of removing bridges if it helps... So far I have ruined a couple of 510's. these may be a bit different from how the bridges are secured in the attys you mentioned. When I did mine, I always dislodged the round housing where the coil is; it came up with the bridge. On Phee's video he mentioned that could happen and it did, pulling the coil wire up with it.. game pretty much over for me.

Oiboy

Sep 8, 2010
York, PA
I just did it to my 510 about an hour ago. Like Phee warned, my assembly inside came up, though as soon as I noticed what was happening I pushed it back down, got a different hold on the bridge and like sgtdisturbed said, a little wiggle and she came right out... The hardest part (and the only part where the guts wanted to come out too) was de-wicking. Gentle does it on the 510's. Take your time, a gentle hand is required. Slowly push the wick to one side of the bridge, then gently bgin "picking" at it to fray the wick. After that easy, gentle wiggling on the remainder of the wick and I got a complete de-wick (many I've seen still have remains on the sides). The bridge was cake, grab it with tweezes on the "open sides" (the sides of the bridge without the legs) and wiggle it gently back and forth (maybe a mm each way) while giving a bit of pull on it and it'll come out rather easily. I did this with an atty that I have used and abused with liquid experiments and didn't have much issue aside of being too aggressive with the wick and almost de-wiring my atty.

All in all, like Sgt said, I recommend this to ANY driper. IT makes a HUGE difference compared to bridge dripping.

icemanx3

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Silicon Valley, CA
Preach on...preach on! Bridgeless is nice...REAL nice. However, I've discovered a new LOVE. Get yourself some Royalsmokers CE2 R4 cartomizers, and rock the Pyramid Tea Bag mod (PTB). O M G

For me, I ordered the 2.4-2.6ohm version of these, which end up giving a weird taste when used with 3.7v. A ECF member mentions that this resistance on a 3.7v device wont allow fast enough wicking. So I was "forced" to try the mod essentially, or just not use them. So last night I tried the mod, and WOWSA...I am getting insaaaaaane flavor and hugemongous clouds out of them (sans the weird taste). Like, I can't even fathom hitting my attys right now, or even my bridgless attys.

GL

ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread