My Review of the Mag Kit by Smok!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disclaimer: This product was sent to me for the purpose of this review. This review is based on the device I got, but not all devices may be the same due to the margin of error or poor quality control.

I know Smok products are not very welcome here, but they are a big part of the market. The Mag Kit consists of the 225W Mag Box Mod powered by 2 18650 batteries and the TFV12 Prince Sub-Ohm tank. The kit can be purchased in a big variety of colors, and more options on the way. It's a big kit, pretty heavy by today's standards.

Album of Pictures:

Specs and Features:

Mag Box Mod

* Height: 92mm

* Length: 65mm

* Width: 30mm

* Weight: 265g (without batteries)

* Power Range: 6 - 225W

* Output Voltage: 0.5 - 9 V

* Resistance Range: 0.1 - 3.0 ohm (VW mode); 0.05 - 3.0 ohm (TC mode)

* Temperature Range: 200 - 600 Fahrenheit; 100 - 315 Celsius

* Color OLED Screen

* VW, TC, Memory Modes

TFV12 Prince Sub-Ohm Tank

* E-Liquid Capacity: 8ml/2ml

* Height: 63mm

* Diameter: 28mm/25.5 (EU/TPD edition)

* Weight: 60g/63g (EU/TPD edition)

* Material: Stainless Steel

Kit Content:

* Mag Box Mod

* TFV12 Prince Sub-Ohm Tank

* V12 Prince-Q4 0.4ohm coil head

* V12 Prince-T10 0.12ohm coil head

* Replacement Glass Tube

* USB Cable

* User Manual

* Spare O-Rings

Aesthetics:

The Mag Kit by Smok, is a pretty big, and tall kit. It's also pretty heavy. It comes in a big variety of colors, and with the kit version, the TFV12 Prince tank will come in the same color with the mod. I received the Black Prism version, and considering the mod is black, and just the buttons and other minor things are in kind of a fade color, I must say it looks good to me. The TFV12 is fully colored in this fading finish, with a big wide bore drip tip, that has a snake pattern and fluctuates from red to green. It came with the Bubble glass tube pre-installed, and it looks funny, yet the 8ml it holds is a nice feature. The Mag box mod looks a lot like the handle of a handgun, and because it's not straight on the top, the 510 is slightly tinted, so the atomizers will sit straight up, and not leaning towards the left side. The fire button resembles a trigger, and it's colored in the same fading pattern. The + and - buttons are also colored and so is a side panel, except that and a part of the battery compartment, the mod is black. The Mag mod features an OLED color screen, with an option to choose the color of the interface.

Mag Mod Performance:

The Mag mod is powered by 2 18650 batteries, and it can be turned on by clicking 5 times on the fire button/trigger. The buttons are clicky, there is no rattle with the fire button, but the + and - buttons do rattle a little bit. There is a flower-shaped button that when pressed releases the battery compartment (careful it pushes it pretty hard so better be ready to catch it), and you get a special screwdriver in the kit, in case this flower-shaped button gets loose, you can tighten it. The VW performance is ok, I can rate it as average, I used my daily driver atomizers at the same Wattage I use on other modes, and the performance was similar. I did not try going upper than 120W as I do not need to, and I do not have the skill to build coils that would need all the 225W. In TC mode, with a single SS fused clapton coil, I managed to get around 2-3 hours before it kicked me back to VW. I actually like the memory mode, as I can change 2-3 atomizers every day, and it's a very useful feature. The OLED screen is clear, easy to read, and the menu is very easy to use, with all the options we are used to Mode/Puff Counter/Screen Time/Interface Color/Mod On or Off. The battery compartment comes off when pressing the flower-shaped button, and feels like it's made of some kind of metal, with some plastic things in each battery tray, in case you use batteries with torn wraps (DO NOT!) so they won't touch each other. When looking in this compartment, it can be easily seen the + and - that tells the user how to insert the batteries.

TFV12 Prince Performance:

The TFV12 Prince sub-ohm tank is a pretty big, with 8ml or 2ml capacity, and the performance is pretty good. I used both coils that came with it, and I must say I'm impressed. With the 0.4ohm coil at 67W, I managed to get very good flavor and a decent amount of clouds. With the 0.12ohm coil, at around 89W I got pretty good clouds and the flavor was ok. Refilling it is pretty easy, by pushing the button on the top cap and sliding it. After refilling, just slide it back, push down a little and close it off. I love the 8ml capacity with the bubble tank, even though it looks funny, it's useful. The airflow is decent, with 2 kidney shaped airflow slots, that can be closed when rotating to the left, and there is plenty of air.

Pros:

Mag Box Mod

* Big/Color/Easy-to-read Screen

* VW Performance

* Memory Mode

* Ergonomic, it's big, but it's easy to hold it

TFV12 Prince

* Flavor

* Clouds

* 8ml Capacity with Bubble Glass

Cons:

Mag Box Mod

* Top of the box mod is not straight, restraining the max atomizer diameter to 25mm, otherwise it will overhang

* Left-Hand edition, you can't read the screen when using it with the right hand

* TC Performance

* Puff Counter resets every time you get the batteries out of the device.

TFV12 Prince

* Sometimes it's hard to close the topcap after refilling.

* Too many charp edges, you may damage the skin on your fingers when trying to take it apart.

Conclusion:

After lurking a little on the Smok website, I found out, that they started to offer this kit for both left-handers and right-handers. I can't say I fully recommend this mod. It's unique, the shape is unique, if you want a big mod or kit, that looks unique, and that you plan to use in VW mode, be my guest. I did not encounter any problems with it, but I will continue using it and will keep you guys informed. I currently have around 10k puffs on it (based on some rough calculations, as the mod resets the puff counter when taking the batteries out), and no problems, it reads the resistances correctly, and it pushes the amount of power I'm used to.

Thank you!

It’s not that they’re not welcome. It’s just that the vast majority of frantic people looking for help who’s problem is actually hardware rather then PEBKAC have it because their smok mod was incorrectly manufactured. This creates a certain amount of cynicism.
I understand, but I feel like it's a gamble with Smok. I've been using my Al85 for more than 7 months every day, without any problems, but a normal Alien 220 died after 3 months.

Nice review! Thanks for your time.

Smok,
as stated so well by former President Bush,
“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”
Cheers
I

Thanks too! That quote, on point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread