The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

My RTS shopping cart for first time DIY setup. Suggestions or comments appreciated!

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by electrogeek13, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. electrogeek13

electrogeek13 Full Member Verified Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Pennsylvania USA
    Hello everyone

I have been preparing a space and getting/building some equipment to start a small ejuice endeavor for a little while now. Below is my current shopping cart after doing a bunch of research i think this is a good list for base liquids/nicotine and flavorings. You will also see a couple small Erlenmeyers on there and once i start this and can post pics you will see why. I am no noob to chemistry it's just that I've never done ejuice before.

I am doing a very basic mixing process with good sterilization techniques, it will basically go down like this. Drop liquids into flask with heat source (optimal temp yet to be discovered), give them a little shake and let them bind while most of the ethanol and any other non wanted chems evaporate through a hose that ends in a filtered "catch can" so no contaminants can enter the flask at any time. Once liquids are blended and heated to optimal temp i will move the ejuice containing flask onto a magnetic stirrer and let heat/friction do it's thing until mixture cools. I may repeat the heating/stirring process a few times until i am satisfied all unwanted solvents are expelled from mixture. I will then taste and adjust, and most likely taste and adjust many times LOL that's the best part i think!

So here is my list let me know what you think. I have a lot of friends still trying to get off of analogues so a lot of tobacco juices are going to be made. I also mostly vape tobacco flavors myself. I will do a bunch of sweet/fruity flavors too because they seem to catch peoples attention even though i will probably never vape them myself. I have alot of friends who will hopefully enjoy this juice as much as i do.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! I have went to wizard labs for flavoring and have updated my shopping lists. I could not find EM at wizard so i will just be getting some somewhere as soon as i can. most likely ecigexpress. I have switched my flavorings to WL some TFA and some LorAnne. I have added AP, switched menthol flavoring to actual menthol crystals and added koolada. I have also ditched some tobacco flavors for hangsen brands as suggested.

My original post order totaled 132 USD
    My second list totals 129 USD and i feel i am getting a much better value this way. Flavorings are 8ml instead of 10 but i feel i am getting the proper chems this way.

These are my updated shopping carts please let me know what you think.

1st list from RTS

250 ml of 100 mg Flavorless Nicotine Liquid - Propylene Glycol USP Grade
    $45.95
    1000 ml Vegetable Glycerin USP Grade Kosher Certified
    $18.75
    1000 ml of Propylene Glycol USP Grade
    $18.75
    50 ml Erlenmeyer Flask - Borosilicate Glass
    $2.49
    100 ml Erlenmeyer Flask - Borosilicate Glass
    $2.99
    10 ml DK Tobacco Base (TFA)
    $2.75
    10 ml RY4 Double Flavor (TFA)
    $2.85
    10 ml Peach (Juicy) Flavor (TFA)
    $2.75
    10 ml French Pipe - Chinese
    $3.75
    10 ml Type "P" Original Tobacco
    $3.75
    10 ml Tobacco Flavor - Maxx-Blend (FA)
    $3.95
    Rubber Stopper Size #4 – 50 ml Erlenmeyer Flask
    $0.65
    Rubber Stopper Size #2 – 100 ml Erlenmeyer Flask
    $0.79
    10 ml Flue Cure Flavor (HS)
    $5.85
    10 ml Cuba Flavor (HS)
    $5.85
    20% Off Nic, PG, VG [132N-0001][304P][404V]
    -$16.69

2nd list from wizard labs

Acetyl Pyrazine 5% PG Flavor Concentrate (TFA)
    Caramel Original TFA Flavor
    Chocolate Hazelnut Flavor Concentrate (LA)
    Green Apple Flavor (TFA)
    Koolada 10% PG Flavor (TFA)
    Mango Flavor Concentrate (LA)
    Menthol Crystals - 15 grams (WL)
    Molasses Flavor (TFA)
    Peanut Butter Flavor Concentrate (LA)
    Strawberry Ripe Flavor Concentrate (TFA)
    Sweetener Flavor Concentrate (TFA)
    Vanillin 10% PG Flavor Concentrate (TFA)
    Watermelon Flavor Concentrate (LA)

2. glasseye

glasseye Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Not to be Debbie Downer but if you don't edit that second paragraph this thread will get closed as 'Unregistered Supplier'. I've seen it happen.

But before that happens, you have no Hangsen tobaccos, and you might want to pick up some EM and AP.

3. Heavyrocker

Heavyrocker Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 14, 2012
    Toronto,Canada
    I think they sold out of HS RY4 flavours.

4. electrogeek13

Sep 27, 2013
    Pennsylvania USA
    Thanks for the tip bro. Do those rules apply to anyone who vends even if they are not vending on the forums or attempting to? I will edit anyway i just want to be sure of the rules here.

By stating AP i assume you are referring to Acetyl Pyrazine is this correct? I was unaware of this chem and will give it some attention. I was also thinking about getting some EM alot of people praise this. I have also heard that the TFA smooth flavoring does about the same thing? Have you had experience with both of them?

Budget is also a thing i have to be concerned with sadly at the moment. Would you recommend swapping out some of the flavors i have for hangsen brands? Which ones are your favorites?

Your advice is much appreciated and i thank you for supporting me!

I will probably eventually be getting AP/EM along with some menthol crystals.

thanks!

5. Heavyrocker

Heavyrocker Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 14, 2012
    Toronto,Canada
    You cant even mention you are selliing stuff here,you have to use the classified section.

6. electrogeek13

Sep 27, 2013
    Pennsylvania USA
    Thank you. I have made sure this post is edited to a degree which i think falls within the rules here. My intentions are not to break any rules or ruffle any feathers so to speak. I will be doing some further reading and speaking with the appropriate mods as soon as i can.

7. rasmith1959

rasmith1959 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    Guthrie, OK
    Dang, wish Tapatalk could do tables.... here's how I see OP's first post:

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4

8. electrogeek13

Sep 27, 2013
    Pennsylvania USA
    HAHA sorry about that, i did not have the mobile users in mind nor have i ever used tap talk. I will reformat the post for these situations what i have time. Until then I know on a pc i am able to copy HTML code to a txt program and re-open it with a browser this may help you in the future. Formatting may not be all there but you will be able to see members posts i think.

I actually am certified for computer repair and the like but i'm an old school "PC's are for PC things and phones are for talking and texting" kinda guy. I am slowly integrating into the world of smartphones though!

*carries laptop to dunkin donuts WiFi to research taptalk* hehe just kidding ;)

9. Wow1420

Wow1420 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2013
    Somewhere out there
    Do you already have syringes or something else for measuring and bottles for storage?

I don't do tobacco flavors myself (except a little RY4), but the Hangsen flavors always seem to get good reviews.

10. dannyv45

dannyv45 ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    You'll also need:

Empty bottles in 5ml for test batches, 30ml for finished product. If your going to heat steep or UC steep make them glass bottles.

3, 1ml syringes
    3, 3ml syringes
    3, 10ml syringes

Measuring by drops won't cut it if you expect to reproduce a mix.

Soft plastic bottles with syringe tips are great for filling cartos.

11. rbeckys8

rbeckys8 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2013
    idaho
    wow..I don't understand anything you are doing and I DIY!!

12. dannyv45

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    A very + 1 on the hangsen flavors, syringes and bottles.

13. dannyv45

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    What don't you understand his flavor choices? His process is a bit over the top but the elements are there. He's kinda mixing, steeping and letting it breath all at the same time. Many have used heat and magnetic stirrers in there process. Never seen it done at the same time but it can work.

14. Train2

Train2 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    He meant the process - heat, flasks, etc...

15. Train2

Train2 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    I got my startup stuff from RTS recently - good selection, happy with the nic, all the glass was WELL packaged - happy.

I didn't see AP there - someone recommended it, and I want some too, but no one had any.
    (Wizard's got it now, but I need MORE stuff to place an order, and they're still out of everything else I want!)

I don't see:
    empty bottles
    syringes and/or pipettes

A couple thoughts:

1) Tobaccos can be tricky, and may need weeks of steeping. For a QUICK success, start with that Double RY4 in a simple mix. I vaped that RIGHT AWAY and keep making more.

2) You mentioned fruit mixes - many recipes (and another "good right away" I did - with Strawberry Banana) use "Strawberries & Cream" flavor or "Banana Cream" flavor, or add "Bavarian Cream" to a fruit mix. I also see the Bavarian Cream added in all kinds of recipes, perhaps instead of "smooth" or sweetener.

Have fun mixing!

16. electrogeek13

Sep 27, 2013
    Pennsylvania USA
    I think he may not understand the process i was describing. eg. what evaporating ethanol and other solvents means and such.

Yes thanks for all the support on the equipment i have well prepared my "lab" in advance. I am equipped with a heat source, a magnetic mixer that i constructed out of an old computer power supply, a fan and some hard drive magnets (will be using lab grade stir bars though no cheap out there).

for measuring i have the following,
    1ml syringes reading in .01ml increments(or as close to it as my eyes can measure lol)
    3ml syringes
    10ml syringes.

I also recommend syringes as graduated cylinders, conical flasks and such are not nearly accurate enough for this kind of thing.

I have a full titration station to ensure my nicotine content is right where i want it to be. I have ordered 5ml 10ml and 30ml dropper bottles. fasttech currently has a great deal on needle tip bottles if you can wait for shipping.

I have already started a thread on nicotine content, measurements, and titration here if anyone is interested.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/473686-nicotine-content-findings-popular-fasttech-china-juices-done-titration.html

Thanks again for all of your kind and wise suggestions! ECF is the place to be :2cool:

17. electrogeek13

Sep 27, 2013
    Pennsylvania USA
    Thanks train got to the point while i was busy typing hehe!

18. dannyv45

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    That's what I thought but believe it or not his theory and all the elements are correct.

19. electrogeek13

Sep 27, 2013
    Pennsylvania USA
    Thanks i will be heat steeping in the flasks and transferring cooled finished product to dropper bottles when it is acceptable.

20. dannyv45

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I think your theory althought a bit over the top is completely correct. Keep us posted I'll be following this thread with great interest..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.