My sister won't let me vape around her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdcaines

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Manchester, NH
I went away with my sisters this weekend like I do several times a year. I have 4 sisters, we often go away on a shopping weekend and stay in a hotel. I was the only smoker in the bunch! I have gone with them twice since I started vaping and the last time it was awesome!! Not having to leave the hotel room, go down the elevator, and out the doors of the hotel to have a Cigarette was great! They all supported me in vaping and were very happy to see me quit cigarettes.
This weekend We arrived back at the hotel and were all settled in for the night of conversation, and munching, as usual. I started vaping and all of a sudden one of my sisters started coughing and complaining of difficulty breathing. She opened the window, said she needed air and then she said it...."I hate to say it.....but I think its your PV"!!!!!! I was shocked to say the least, because I had vaped in the back seat in the car periodically throughout the day during our 4 hour drive up to our destination, with no complaints from her in the front seat. (she never saw me vaping in the car and was probably unaware I was doing it, as I tend to hold most of the vapor in when I am in confined spaces.)
I told her I was vaping in the car and She said "well maybe it just caught up to me??" And she also said, "I felt kinda like this the last time we went away" I did not know what to say! I told her what was in the PV, and that her being an ex-smoker (quit "cold turkey" about 5 years ago) should make it pretty impossible for anything in my PV to have that affect on her, since cigarettes didn't bother her. We discussed it for a for a while and I realized that I was not going to win. She had convinced herself that it was the vapor from my PV that was making her sick and I could not change her mind!!!!!!!! I gave up and told her I would not vape around her anymore. I just went in the bathroom or the hallway and she was fine with that. I don't have a problem with stepping away to the bathroom or another room to have a quick vape, I am more upset because I can't imagine that it really is the vapor that is bothering her!! Is it even possible?
Also, I stopped vaping around her last night and she continued to cough most of the day today and her explaination was "I must be coughing up what I inhaled yesterday" ?? :confused::confused::confused:
It just doesn't make sense to me....I need your advise on how to defend vaping!
has anyone experienced this or anything like it?
Pleas help!

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
My wife did the same thing when I vaped in the car with her...Do not assume personal vaporizers with liquid nicotine are safe by any means. There have not been enough tests. Personally I don't care if they are safe to myself or not. They must be better than cigarettes. But I would care if they were harmful such as second hand vaping. I would be concerned only if second hand vaping in closed areas was worse than second hand cigarette smoke. But I do not believe that to be the case.

kdcaines

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Manchester, NH
My wife did the same thing when I vaped in the car with her...Do not assume personal vaporizers with liquid nicotine are safe by any means. There have not been enough tests. Personally I don't care if they are safe to myself or not. They must be better than cigarettes. But I would care if they were harmful such as second hand vaping. I would be concerned only if second hand vaping in closed areas was worse than second hand cigarette smoke. But I do not believe that to be the case.

I am curious! what did your wife say it made her feel like?

Taryn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Florida

You have a very good point. I got a bit snappy because my take on what I read was her sister only noticed the effects when it was obvious she was around the vapor, flashes of self righteous ex and non smokers who freak out at being within a 100 feet of a lit cigarette even outdoors. I'm sure it is possible for some people to have reactions to the vapor even second hand.

I still think her sisters issue is in her head but it is quite honesty perfectly within her rights not not want to breath in the vapors.

kdcaines

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Manchester, NH
Now now, don't be calling kdcaines' sister names.

How do you spell psychosomatic?

LOL thanks for the giggle leeshor!!

Seriously, I do love my sister very much and she is actually the one I have the most fun with (shhh...don't tell my other sisters!!)

I do agree with taryn, it is perfectly within her rights to not want to breath in my vapors, and as I said "I have to problem respecting that." I just don't want her bad mouthing PVs because she believes they are harming her!!

Pugzley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
USA
I don't bother to vape in front of anyone. I go to the bathroom, take a few drags and hold it in, no one is ever any wiser. The bathroom is the last vestige of privacy in this old world and until they start filming me on the toilet, that's where I'll do most of my vaping unless I'm at home or in my car. That way, no one can say anything about it.

Stealth is the way to go with this thing, for me. I'm in California where anything that goes into the air is sacrosanct, other than all the millions upon millions of cars with their exhaust fumes, fragrances, hair sprays, mouth sprays, etc. etc. etc.

On a side note, I absolutely hate it when I run into someone that has on so much musk perfume/cologne that it could gag a maggot. It literally takes my breath from me when I smell that stuff. But they'd be the first ones to gripe if I was vaping, I betcha.

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I am curious! what did your wife say it made her feel like?

she says it was like something in the back of her throat that she couldn't get out.. coughing.. assumed it was the vapor.. she has never smoked in her life and now I can smoke in the house and car and she was coughing and thought it was from 2nd hand vapor.

to me it did look like it was the vapor making her cough after all she has never smoked and this liquid does have throat kick so why can't 2nd hand vapor make someone else have throat kick?

makes sense but highly unlikely

plantlvr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2009
Northern California
I don't bother to vape in front of anyone. I go to the bathroom, take a few drags and hold it in, no one is ever any wiser. The bathroom is the last vestige of privacy in this old world and until they start filming me on the toilet, that's where I'll do most of my vaping unless I'm at home or in my car. That way, no one can say anything about it.

Stealth is the way to go with this thing, for me. I'm in California where anything that goes into the air is sacrosanct, other than all the millions upon millions of cars with their exhaust fumes, fragrances, hair sprays, mouth sprays, etc. etc. etc.

On a side note, I absolutely hate it when I run into someone that has on so much musk perfume/cologne that it could gag a maggot. It literally takes my breath from me when I smell that stuff. But they'd be the first ones to gripe if I was vaping, I betcha.

Yay California the land of the nuts and the flakes! I can say that cus I'm a Native, but oh man the cologne and perfume some of these folks wear is enough to choke a maggot! Give me cig smoke anytime ;)

Taryn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Florida
This is just a theory, maybe she is allergic or sensitive to the PG in the vapour?

She certainly could be, it does affect some people poorly. But she didn't notice when her sister was stealth vaping in a closed car with her, only when she was vaping right in front of her. Possibly a delayed reaction or perhaps a psychological reaction.

She certainly could be, it does affect some people poorly. But she didn't notice when her sister was stealth vaping in a closed car with her, only when she was vaping right in front of her. Possibly a delayed reaction or perhaps a psychological reaction.

Could be. Could be the cumulative effect as well. Or she could be passive agressive.

I have two sisters like that. But neither one of them are fun to be with so I usually tell them to stuff it.

kdcaines

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Manchester, NH
This is just a theory, maybe she is allergic or sensitive to the PG in the vapour?

I thought of this also. I guess it makes sense that she could have an allergy to the PG, and inhaling my exhaled vapor could cause a problem. It just dissipates so fast, that I would think she wouldn't be able to get enough into her lungs to be a problem?? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread