My Smok Mag just broke.... Need a new Mod Box!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybee84

Apr 1, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is healthy and doing well during these times.

My final Smok Mag finally broke, as it just turns on and does nothing.. it's fairly old so it's time for something new anyway.

I am looking for anything, preferably Smok but not going to be picky if the price is right... That will allow me to continue using my Uwell Valerian tanks w/ the .15 resistance and 95-125 watt coils. The coils my tank uses are the Uwell UWC-VAL20 and I've always loved them!

Despite my Mag and older Aliens (using my Alien 220W currently) going up so high, I really don't need anything that goes over 125W... So maybe that will help my price-range.

I was looking at the Smok Priv N19... it had a good price, I was just not sure if it was a good one. I'll take any recommendations honestly, got plenty of time.... I honestly never vape over 80Watts anyway, so as long as I can find something reliable, that will last as long as these Smoks have I'll be happy...

Thanks guys hope someone can help direct me to what would be good, sadly all our local shops here in NJ are out of business thanks to the Governor taxing juice and cigs to the point that people simply can't afford to shop at local stores :(

• Winner
Reactions: Mobc1990

jaybee84

Apr 1, 2020
Hello @jaybee84, anything Smoant or Vaporesso will do you proud and serve you better than SMOK.

As SMOK doesn't have the best of reputations when it comes to product quality and reliability.

Thanks, I am familiar with both names. I actually had a Smoant briefly (still here somewhere), my buddy gave it to me after he drenched it in juice and tried to clean it up so it's very iffy.. but it hit like a champ and was very solid.

I've been seeing Vaporesso's name around... I just hope whatever I find I can still use my Uwell tank/coil setup as it's probably the easiest, cleanest, and never done me wrong.

What would be similar to a Smok (60-120W)... just curious... as I am unfamiliar with basically everything since I haven't had to purchase a mod/battery in almost 2-3 years.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Have a look on their websites, as there's a few dual 18650 mods there that may interest you.

Vaporesso recently released the GEN.

Smoant has the Battlestar, Cylon, Naboo and Ladon (most recent release and is in the process of being shipped).

Also forgot to mention Geekvape's Aegis mods, very useful for folks who have mods that take the occasional tumble or impromptu bath.

jaybee84

Apr 1, 2020
I ordered a SMOK A-Priv Mod for the time being... it was pretty cheap from a reliable store online I trust. Not sure it'll match the Mag but I honestly never really liked the feel of the Mag to begin with.

I still have a Smoke 80w baby Osub, which I loved before the battery holder got screwed up.. keeps losing connection. Nice mod, 1 battery not 2 so it was lighter, lasted quite a bit.. but sadly busted like most in the cigar box of "junk" hehe.

jaybee84

Apr 1, 2020
Have a look on their websites, as there's a few dual 18650 mods there that may interest you.

Vaporesso recently released the GEN.

Smoant has the Battlestar, Cylon, Naboo and Ladon (most recent release and is in the process of being shipped).

Also forgot to mention Geekvape's Aegis mods, very useful for folks who have mods that take the occasional tumble or impromptu bath.

Thanks for the recommendations going to check some of them out now. I've personally never had a problem with Smok (until now). But the one that just died was 2+ years old.. the Aliens are still working.. but I will admit their designs are terrible, especially the battery "lids' that freaking break all the time.. Kept having to tape them shut lol.

The Mag was nice and had that "flaw" fixed somewhat, not sure why it broke, maybe it needs cleaning.. I needed to order something new eventually.

The one I ordered was on a site I trust and it was only $19.99 so I'll wait and see how it is.. but going to check out some of your suggestions and if I see one I like and it's cheap I'll grab another... may as well try changing it up a bit.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@Don29palms, because they're shiny and everywhere.

Have to admit that I learnt the hard way myself and had a SMOK Procolour as my first foray into proper mods, didn't serve me well for long. But the Vaporesso Switcher that was bought to replace it is still going strong, just been superceded by other mods and relegated to the emergency vape stash.

Reactions: Don29palms

jaybee84

Apr 1, 2020
I just found one of my older ones, it's a Sigelei Fuchai 213 Plus I believe.

A buddy gave it to me when he quit vaping (cause of his wife).... I don't know why I tossed it aside, but found it about an hour or so ago and really like it. Not even sure where he got this thing, probably the 1 store we all went to that went out-of-business 2+ years ago heh.

I just want to keep it simple, hopefully this one doesn't act up or anything, very happy I held onto it for times like these.. Found a few others that work fine, but this was probably the nicest, I was just too lazy and got comfortable with the Smoks. I'll gladly try something new... but I'm going to be stubborn about my Uwell tanks hehe.

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_163838798.jpg
    IMG_20200401_163838798.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 16

Mobc1990

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2019
Johor Bahru
Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is healthy and doing well during these times.

My final Smok Mag finally broke, as it just turns on and does nothing.. it's fairly old so it's time for something new anyway.

I am looking for anything, preferably Smok but not going to be picky if the price is right... That will allow me to continue using my Uwell Valerian Tanks w/ the .15 resistance and 95-125 watt coils. The coils my tank uses are the Uwell UWC-VAL20 and I've always loved them!

Despite my Mag and older Aliens (using my Alien 220W currently) going up so high, I really don't need anything that goes over 125W... So maybe that will help my price-range.

I was looking at the Smok Priv N19... it had a good price, I was just not sure if it was a good one. I'll take any recommendations honestly, got plenty of time.... I honestly never vape over 80Watts anyway, so as long as I can find something reliable, that will last as long as these Smoks have I'll be happy...

Thanks guys hope someone can help direct me to what would be good, sadly all our local shops here in NJ are out of business thanks to the Governor taxing juice and cigs to the point that people simply can't afford to shop at local stores :(
If you will like to continue using a smok mod.I read that smok morph 2019,or Mag P3 is great.I had a smok mod on my way on shipment.The lockdown has caused me to be stuck in another country,hoping that I can receive the mod without other problem as I had already paid

• Agree
Reactions: gsmit1

Mobc1990

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2019
Johor Bahru
I just found one of my older ones, it's a Sigelei Fuchai 213 Plus I believe.

A buddy gave it to me when he quit vaping (cause of his wife).... I don't know why I tossed it aside, but found it about an hour or so ago and really like it. Not even sure where he got this thing, probably the 1 store we all went to that went out-of-business 2+ years ago heh.

I just want to keep it simple, hopefully this one doesn't act up or anything, very happy I held onto it for times like these.. Found a few others that work fine, but this was probably the nicest, I was just too lazy and got comfortable with the Smoks. I'll gladly try something new... but I'm going to be stubborn about my Uwell tanks hehe.
Look great,enjoy your vape☺️☺️

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Smok has always been the master at making mods that are extremely attractive junk. That said, I'm sure they have some decent mods here and there. There are those that are Smok fans, and then there are those that are are Smok haters (I fall into the latter group).

As far as your Smok mag lasting you 2 years, well, I have mods that have lasted 3 times that and are still working. Just sayin'.

For $20, I say you have little to lose. If it sucks or quits working in a short time, you didn't lost much.

I say at that price keep the Smok Priv and look for another mod in the meantime.

As far as the Sigelei Fuchai 213 Plus, like all other mods, some people love it, some hate it. I have read a lot of opinions that Fuchai's Temp Control is garbage, but I don't do TC. My Fuchai 213 Sqonkers work fine (single 18650/21700). But I can tell you that they don't perform well on older batteries where other mods I do just fine with them. The chips on the Fuchai seem to not handle old batts with a large voltage sag too well. But this is a small problem for me as a low wattage vaper. I think one of the weakest points of the Fuchai line of mods is the battery door. Be kind with it and the mod in general.

Sigelei is another one of those companies that people either seem to love 'em or hate 'em. Personally I'm on the fence and I neither love them nor hate them. One of my longest running mods is the Sigelei 30W mini. Of course, it's only still working because I installed a stainless steel 510 when the brass 510 stripped. But the mod still works. It, too, does not perform the greatest on older batts with high voltage sag but it works for me, being a low wattage vaper.

But hey, your Fuchai Plus was free, so nothing to lose there if you end up hating it.

Last edited:

jaybee84

Apr 1, 2020
    Smok has always been the master at making mods that are extremely attractive junk. That said, I'm sure they have some decent mods here and there. There are those that are Smok fans, and then there are those that are are Smok hater (I fall into the latter group).

As far as your Smok mag lasting you 2 years, well, I have mods that have lasted 3 times that and are still working. Just sayin'.

For $20, I say you have little to lose. If it sucks or quits working in a short time, you didn't lost much.

I say at that price keep the Smok Priv and look for another mod in the meantime.

As far as the Sigelei Fuchai 213 Plus, like all other mods, some people love it, some hate it. I have read a lot of opinions that Fuchai's Temp Control is garbage, but I don't do TC My Fuchai 213 Sqonkers work fine. But I can tell you that they don't perform well on older batteries where other mods I do just fine with them. The chips on the Fuchai seem do not handle old batts with a large voltage sag too well. But this is a small problem for me as a low wattage vaper. I think one of the weakest points of the Fuchai line of mods is the battery door. Be kind with it and the mod in general.

Sigelei is another one of those companies that people either seem to love 'em or hate 'em. Personally I'm on the fence and I neither love them nor hate them. One of my longest running mods is the Sigelei 30W mini. Of course, it's only still working because I installed a stainless steel 510 when the brass 510 stripped. But the mod still works. It, too, does not perform the greatest on older batts with high voltage sag but it works for me, being a low wattage vaper.

But hey, your Fuchai Plus was free, so nothing to lose there if you end up hating it.

Couldn't say it better.. I am more stubborn than I am in regards to Smok, after starting with eLeaf's products I obviously thought Smok was like the best when I saw their mods which are very popular, kids at work had them.. so I got one.

I don't vape at crazy levels or do anything special like "dripping".. I just want to vape my .3% nic juices which is around 60W and 100W. So having the nice longer batteries on the huge Smok Aliens and Mags is nice for long days, but annoying IMO sometimes.. but imagine most mod boxes have 1-2 batteries obviously. I liked my Smok 80w baby osub but that had a faulty battery door.

Very interesting you mentioned the Sigelei! Fuchai specifically. Great mod my buddy gave me that he must have spilled juice in and was acting funky. Yesterday it was working 100%, I don't know what happened over night but it had pretty much 90% batteries before I went to sleep and when I woke up this morning it's batteries were at like 10% and the screen was flickering and kept shutting off (think I remember it doing this when he gave it to me.. reason I put it aside). I simply replaced them with fresh batteries and it's working 100% again.

I'm not exactly a Smok lover, but they've done me well as like I mentioned started with an eLeaf iStick 30W Starter Pen, then 1 or 2 30W eLeaf iSticks/iPicos which all broke.. probably a few clones offline but even one from the local shop acted up.. as they ALL had the "short-atomizer" issues, I just thought eLeaf made crap..

The Priv will be nice, I'll keep my eyes open but really don't want to buy anything else unless needed. I just wanted something that appeared to be light, was fairly cheap, and hoping it works out nicely as I trust the site I purchased from as I have purchased from them before and had 0 issues.

We unfortunately do not have many shops left here in NJ, and the ones we have mark-up the prices so much on everything.. I can't blame them they are trying to stay alive during the reign of our new Governor who has taxed e-cigs/juices, banning flavors, etc.. We've already lost a lot of shops, our Governor doesn't care.. he even raised the taxes on traditional cigarettes moments after basically killing the vape industry in NJ :(

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Very interesting you mentioned the Sigelei! Fuchai specifically. Great mod my buddy gave me that he must have spilled juice in and was acting funky. Yesterday it was working 100%, I don't know what happened over night but it had pretty much 90% batteries before I went to sleep and when I woke up this morning it's batteries were at like 10% and the screen was flickering and kept shutting off (think I remember it doing this when he gave it to me.. reason I put it aside)

I would ditch that mod.

My Sigelei/Yihi 30W mini as well as the IPV mini (same chip) have a parasitic drain (sorry, forgot the technical term) and will drain the battery until it gets so low that it vents (happened twice to me). But it takes a few weeks of no usage for that to happen.

If your Fuchai is draining the battery from 90% to 10% overnight, well, I'd personally ditch that mod without even thinking about it.

Reactions: jaybee84

jaybee84

Apr 1, 2020
    I would ditch that mod.

My Sigelei/Yihi 30W mini as well as the IPV mini (same chip) have a parasitic drain (sorry, forgot the technical term) and will drain the battery until it gets so low that it vents (happened twice to me). But it takes a few weeks of no usage for that to happen.

If your Fuchai is draining the battery from 90% to 10% overnight, well, I'd personally ditch that mod without even thinking about it.

Interesting.. this mod was in a box and not used for at least 2 years until I found it yesterday. Worked great all day as mentioned, I may have exxagerated the battery % but it was certainly over 50%... thought it was a little higher, but sounds exactly like what you described.

Tossing new/fresh batteries in obviously fixed it for now. As long as it works at home that's fine.. I most likely won't take it out... not that there is anywhere or anything to do or go with the lock-downs/quarantines.

I am going to keep it handy here in the home "office"... I'll see if it does the same thing over night again. Kind of lame but not an issue if it just needs fresh batteries in the morning.. but yeah hopefully the Priv will keep my happy if I am out and about or mobile, I've always got the Alien220 which is still vaping like a champ.

I am sure I'll find something nice, going to look at other manufacturers. Someone mentioned the Vaporesso GEN.. I am leaning towards grabbing that as it's roughly $50'sh on the site/store I use.

Reactions: Mordacai

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Even from 50% to 10% overnight without usage is a high rate of parasitic drain.

As long as it works at home that's fine.. I most likely won't take it out

It's not about public safety. It's about safety.

I'll see if it does the same thing over night again. Kind of lame but not an issue if it just needs fresh batteries in the morning

Putting new batteries in it does not "fix" the ridiculous parasitic drain problem (if in fact it does exist).

You can experiment if you want, I would not leave it overnight with batteries in it. If anything, I would leave it outside with a battery in it during the day for a few hours (5?) and see where the battery level is after that.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    For high wattage vaping the steamcrave Hadron looks dammed tempting and interesting.
    http://www.steamcrave.com/hadron220-p00080p1.html

Plus you can go and say to folks that looks like a vape mod, only smaller.

But dual 21700 will keep any high wattage user happy all day, and the yet to be released Squonk addon is an interesting idea indeed. As it's kind of 2 mods for the price of one.

And with the uncertainty over vaping in the US, Squonking with an RDA is relatively easy to do. And you can get a lot of decent clone/copy high end RDA's for very reasonable prices. And wire and wicking is easy to source and cheap.

• Agree
    Reactions: Opinionated
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread