• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

My Son (on dialysis) was Interviewed by NBC 5 Chicago Tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaturesEncore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2012
Chicago
momsfortress.com
First of all, I'm hoping that it's ok to post here. Please let me know if it's not. I did post this under special needs, but really wanted to hear from my new women/mommies/grandmothers friends, too.

Koby, my 17-year-old son has been on dialysis for almost a year, now. He was born with a metabolic disease, called Cystinosis, and resulting kidney disease, called Fanconi's Syndrome. In 2006, he was down to 19% kidney function, and was blessed with a donor kidney from my brother.

In February 2011, we found out that his body was rejecting the kidney. This past year has been so difficult for him. He has had 9 major surgeries, 27 hospitalizations, dialysis 4 hours/session, three days/week, and numerous other things that have really brought him down. His is a fighter, but MAN! Can't the kid get a break?!?

My husband was diagnosed with cancer 5 years ago, which was removed and treated, but that takes him out of the running for being a donor. I cannot give him one of my kidneys due to hypothyroidism and chronic hypertension. Of course, being a military family, we're about 1,400 miles away from our families, which makes testing for a match even more difficult.

The doctors said that we could start the listing process, once after he had been on dialysis for 6 months. So, we waited . . . and waited. Right at the six month mark, the donor kidney was causing all kinds of trouble, so it had to come out. This surgery put him further from starting the listing process.

As of now, over a year after finding out he was in rejection, he's still not listed. We have started the process, but there's so much red tape and so many time lapses happening, that it seems so far away. You can only imagine just how much emotional toll this has taken on him, as well as our whole family.

Tonight, though, he was back to his happy-go-lucky, resilient self. A reporter from NBC 5 Chicago's Health Watch sat down with him at the dialysis center and interviewed him for about 15 minutes, on camera, for a segment that will be airing on the 10 pm news on the 18th of April. Before and after the interview, the entire crew talked with Koby, and really brought his spirits up.

He knows he has also been my hero. But to hear someone (besides mom) praising him, and offering up their respect and admiration for his struggles gave him a new lease on life! It's just such a good feeling to FINALLY see him happy, and I just had to share!

Thank you for listening. :)

Last edited:

Lilkcceleb

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2011
Kansas City
Many prayers and love being sent to you and your family. Koby is strong, and with everyone's support, he will become even stronger!!! Many many prayers of health, happiness, wealth, strength and support will be flowing from my heart!!!

Thank you for sharing your story. You, Koby, and your family have all of my supporting prayers and love!!!

I Don't Do "Passive Aggressive", I Do "Aggressive Aggressive!"

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Thanks for sharing your story. I think it's always difficult, as a mom, to see your child have to suffer. It sounds like you are a very strong family, though, and that your son is especially strong to have gone through so many surgeries and hospitalizations and not completely give up hope. He is quite the fighter, it sounds like. How very special being interviewed must have been for him! That is an experience that not many people have. I'm sure that the interview, when it airs, will touch people's hearts and also be an inspiration for others who may be going through something similar. My prayers go out to you, your son and your husband.

NaturesEncore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2012
Chicago
momsfortress.com
Thank you everyone for your support, thoughts, and prayers. I will do my best to post the interview here, after it airs. But, I'm not sure if it's only going to be on televised news, or if it will also be on the website.

Here's the link to the NBC 5 Chicago Health section of their website, where I do see a feature on home dialysis. Koby gets his hemodialysis at a center, close to our home. So, maybe the interview will show up on this site, as well.

I will post a direct link, once it does air. Who knows? Maybe someone out there will see it, as some of you have said, and volunteer to be tested as a possible donor. That would be an answered prayer, for sure!

Thank you, everyone, once again. ((((((Big Hugs)))))) right back at ya. :)

NaturesEncore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2012
Chicago
momsfortress.com
If you feel comfortable posting a link to the interview, I'd love to see it Nature :)

I'd love to share, as soon as it has posted to their site. The video will probably be put up on their site, after the segment airs tonight.

I'll be watching! I wish you all the best.

Thanks! Woo Hoo! A local viewer!

Just sent up a prayer for BOTH of you!! My son and family have had a real hard time the last year, so I understand -- it's AWFUL when your kids suffer! I'd rather it happen to me!

I hope everything's ok, now. I've told Koby so many times, that I would take his place in a heartbeat, if I could. He just smiles, and says, "I know, Mom . . . I know."

NaturesEncore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2012
Chicago
momsfortress.com
Well, his interview did not air, but he was on tv. I guess his interview did not fit the reported storyline. He is, however, shown briefly in a few areas of the video: in the background at 0:36, starting dialysis at 2:03, and his hand/arm at 2:35. I'm assuming since his interview was not included that it's somewhere on the editing room floor. I'm hoping they'll at least send us a copy of what they recorded.

Dialysis Danger: Why Location Matters for Some Kidney Patients | NBC Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread