MY SS wick cant keep up with my low ohm coil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-Woodz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Huntington Beach CA
Gear:
K100 with IMR AW battery
"chobra" Cobra Clone coil reads 1.0 ohms
~50/50 6mg juice
stainless steel wick 400 mesh, hollow.

This is my first mech mod, the thing hits and tastes great. The problem is, i can only rip it for about 4 seconds before the entire coil glows and i get a sour hit.

Small cigarette style hits taste amazing and produce more vapor than my chobra did on the ego twist when taking lung hits. The problem is, i like being able to take longer drags. I thought perhaps it was a hot spot, but the entire coil glows evenly. Tilting helps, but not enough.

Should a try a ceramic wick? different Mesh? I dont like silica and will prob never use it, so thats not an option.

My coil isn't even sub ohm and this is a problem, i cant imagine wrapping a .6 coil and trying it with the way things are working out right now.

i have tried about every SS wick tutorial i could find to try tweaking my technique. solid wick, hollow, 45 degree cut at bottom, spreading the top with a toothpick, etc.

How do i get this summofa..... to wick faster?! :vapor::vapor:

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
Gear:
K100 with IMR AW battery
"chobra" Cobra Clone coil reads 1.0 ohms
~50/50 6mg juice
stainless steel wick 400 mesh, hollow.

This is my first mech mod, the thing hits and tastes great. The problem is, i can only rip it for about 4 seconds before the entire coil glows and i get a sour hit.

Small cigarette style hits taste amazing and produce more vapor than my chobra did on the ego twist when taking lung hits. The problem is, i like being able to take longer drags. I thought perhaps it was a hot spot, but the entire coil glows evenly. Tilting helps, but not enough.

Should a try a ceramic wick? different Mesh? I dont like silica and will prob never use it, so thats not an option.

My coil isn't even sub ohm and this is a problem, i cant imagine wrapping a .6 coil and trying it with the way things are working out right now.

i have tried about every SS wick tutorial i could find to try tweaking my technique. solid wick, hollow, 45 degree cut at bottom, spreading the top with a toothpick, etc.

How do i get this summofa..... to wick faster?! :vapor::vapor:

I'd maybe revisit the solid wick, I see you're back to a hollow one. A solid wick will always have better capillary action. Also; do you have an open hole on the deck or all they all closed (ie. extra wick holes, fill hole)? Some people can get away w/ leaving them all plugged (if their wick has some space for air to escape) but most can not..

c00lkatz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
You can try #500 mesh, but I didn't see much of a difference personally. From the sounds of it your tank is "vacuum locked" or whatever the terminology. Basically you need to open up your tank. Either leave the fill screw/plug out (whatever your "chobra" has for filling) and/or make your wick a smaller diameter so that there is enough room between your wick and wick hole for air to escape (should also help with wick-to-base shorting as well).

Also, when you're adjusting your coils, make sure you are using a pretty well charged battery. I know some say to use an almost dead battery to dry burn, but that really is only to protect you from popping a coil. If you're in sub ohm territory, you're using an already hard to pop size wire anyway. Higher voltage will create hot spots where there were none before with a lower voltage. I always pulse on a fully charged battery. With 28 gauge Kanthal, I have yet to pop a coil.

Another thing to check, you may be getting enough juice to the wick, but you may not be getting good contact with your coil to your wick. It only takes one "hot spot" to seem like it's burning up and give you a harsh or burnt hit. Make sure that your coils not only glow at the same time, but that they also glow evenly. Even if they light up from the middle out, all at the same time, if one is noticeably brighter than the others, you have the potential for burning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread