Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgetmonster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2009
Kent, UK
Hi All,

Just thought I would pop in and give you my take on the SB. I don’t normally write reviews (and it shows) but this device is impressive so thought I would give it a go.

Packaging and Delivery
The delivery was super fast (as usual from Toby). Despite the **** ups from our great postal service, Toby went above and beyond the call of duty to pick these bad boys up and got the majority of them out on time. So thank you Toby :)

It arrived in a sturdy box and incredibly well packaged - no rolling around of parts and the actual SB was wrapped in soft tissue paper and then again in corrugated card which fully protected the SB from any scratches or knocks. The charger came in a plastic protective pouch and the batteries in a plastic re-usable container (very useful). There was also the 901 adapter which was placed in a small resealable plastic bag (Almost lost this as I had forgotten I ordered it - doh!)

Charging the batteries
This was the frustrating part (as always). The springs on the charger that hold the batteries in are very stiff and I found a little cumbersome to use. I guess this will become easier with use. One word of warning though - I didn't seat one of the batteries correctly and it literally shot out of the charger like a missile launcher - so be careful.

I didn't really note the time I put them on charge but I would guess they took somewhere between 6-8 hours before the green lights were on.

Again, be careful when taking the batteries out - those springs are strong!

Quality
The quality and finish of the SB are second to none. It is sooooo well made its untrue. The Finish on mine is flawless and oh soooo very shiny. (Shiny things makes me happy).

The thickness of the tube walls must be close to 4mm so this thing ain’t gonna break easy. The button is just incredible. Not only does it look the part but it has a very positive action. It is very easy to press and there is a noticeable click both when pressing and releasing. IMO this has to be the best button I have seen and used on a PV. The button is also recessed into the tube wall which will prevent a lot of accidental presses whilst carrying around. Again, the recess just looks amazing.

The location of the button is perfect for this device allowing for the button to be accessed on top with your forefinger or indeed upside-down with your thumb.

The adapter / atty recess is of high quality and I had no problems screwing in the 901 adapter. I will say however that I do find it tricky to remove the adapter as it is pretty small. The easiest way I found is to connect an atty to the adapter and to remove both together. If you want to remove just the atty, then i find that pushing the adapter with one finger whilst unscrewing the atty works best. If I don’t do this the adapter comes off as well.

To get the battery in you need to unscrew the two parts. For me it almost seemed to glide. I felt no grating like I have done on other mods.

First impressions
When I got the SB my first thought was wow this is big - and it is. It’s by far the biggest mod I have but it feels right. Its big, it’s heavy (for a PV) but it fits nicely in the hands and feels solid. You know you are holding a very well made piece of equipment. IMO it’s the complete opposite of the Janty Stick which felt like a cheap bit of plastic that would smash if you dropped it. If I dropped this I would hurt my foot or knock out one of my cats :)

After just a day or so of use I have got used to the size and weight. When i pickup my SD now it feels like a toy - so small, so light yet it wasn’t that long ago when I thought the SD was huge.

Design
What can I say - it’s a battery tube. What makes this different to the other battery tubes is the quality of the finish, the shine, the style and quality of that button, even the way it’s been recessed.

I was worried that because it was round that it would roll of the desk onto the floor (like the SD) but it stands up on its end! This was probably not thought of in the design stages (if it was – my apologies) but I find this so useful (little things please little minds - I know).

The Vape
It vapes like a dream, plenty of lovely thick vapour every time. IMO the amount of vape and throat hit are the same as the GG and the SD, if anything I would say that the vapour feels slightly warmer but that might just be me.

The battery just lasts forever. I did change it this morning after a day’s use but I believe it would have lasted much longer.

Conclusion
To anyone looking to buy a mod I would highly recommend the SB. It is built to a VERY high standard, it looks good, it feels good, it’s gonna last and it’s very versatile. Not only can it take 901, 510 and 801 attys but it can be run as a 3.7v or 6v device. Did I say it looks dam good? No? Well it does.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
In your bushes, watching you undress
Well done, but a word of caution... do not leave the SB standing upright!! You will flood your atty, clog it up and on top of that, eventually juice will leak out and create a small mess.

You do want it lying on its side. I keep a microfiber cloth in my carrying case now, and use that to lay it on to avoid scratches.

Iky

Jun 18, 2009
north east uk
Hi All

I agree with with everything gadgetmonster said it was an excellent review.

However my first use was disapointing, I put it down and picked up my 901.
I will attempt to explain, I have been ciggy free for 173 days and in that time I have had 3 x 901 1x 510 and 1 x janty dura, I have gone from 36mg to 6 mg trying to find the right tobacco taste and strength, nothing unusual most of you will have had the same experience. The problem for me with the other e-cigs is the length of time the battery lasts. great when you first get them but after a few charges well you all know the answer.
My mate next door bought the SB and I tried it and it was fantastic, (I will explain at this point I was a heavy smoker and take a long hard puff on whatever e-cig I am using) The throat hit and taste was perfect I had found my dream.

I got straight onto toby and ordered the SB and as usuall with toby it arrived very quickly, I had ordered 3.7 v batteries and started to charge them (it took 7hrs 23min) and then I was ready the excitement was building up to that first puff :p Total Disapointment :shock: There was vapour but no throat kick or taste :mad: after a while I realised there was too much air being sucked into the vapouriser I tried a slow controlled puff and it worked ok. The lesson I learned from this is unless I can change my smoking habit I am going to have to use 6v batteries.

Conclusion

Different people have different smoking habits and what suits one may not suit another dont give up you will that happy place but it can take time.

The one certainty I have is that the silver bullit is the best thing since sliced bread but for me it needs 6v batteries not 3.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread