My taste buds must be about shot in regards to e-juices!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if I am the only one having this problem with e-juice taste.
Quit smoking entirely Mar 2013 after decades of heavy smoking.
I have excellent 1100mah batteries and a good dual coil atomizer with lots of vape and clean wicks.
(My husband has the same kind of apparatus)
He uses menthol/mint e-juice which I can taste well at the same strengths as my flavors.
(Shame I can't stand the taste of menthol, mint, spearmint etc)
I can taste a tobacco flavor of different kinds. This is what I started off using, however I tired of the tobacco favor and wanted the taste of fruit.
However, any other straight fruit flavors I use and have tested have very little to NIL flavor to me - hardly can taste or smell them.
Raspberry and pomegranate are the only ones out of scores of others I get somewhat of a taste and happen to like
At our local vape shop I have even paid an extra buck to have them add an additional shot of raspberry to a flavor...and NO difference.
I can't smell the flavors as I vape either, as others comment smelling.
I tasted a cola which sparked my taste buds a bit but as with the raspberry and pomegranate I frustratingly want to get MORE FLAVOR rather than just a hint of.
It doesn't matter what mg strength it is. 0-24 mgs -it's all the same. These e-juices from local vape shops are the norm pr/vg blend.
I recently received a LIQUA cola, apple, citrus.. from online vendor. Can taste a hint of it but tastes like flat watered down cola.
(I drink water enough each day - also I have NO problem in tasting and tasting foods including fruits)
Wondering if I made my own juices if I could up the flavoring content and gain pleasure in vaping. Perhaps using super concentrates now available in fruit flavors. It will be my next step in persuit of vaping happiness. :)

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I would suggest branching out a little and trying some different vendors - Ahlusion is excellent for fruit as well as naturally extracted tobaccos. DIY is definitely another way to go though I prefer to buy pre-made. Just a quick question - do you let the juices "steep" (ie tops off bottles for a couple of days, and shake occasionally, then lids back on and shake occasionally for a week before trying? This allows any alcohol to evaporate and for the flavors to shake hands. Lastly you may need a higher PG - a 70/30 or 80/20 to get the stronger flavors. Good luck and keep vaping.

Last edited:

wyetterp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Murrells Inlet, SC
You should consider that smoking destroys your taste buds and your sense of smell. They will repair themselves, but you probably haven't been quit long enough for that to have happened completely.

This is what happened to me during the transition. I started taking zinc vitamins & it greatly improved within a week. I had to use the zinc for about 2 & half months before my tastebuds where fully repaired. Know I feel like I have super smell sometimes.

My understanding is that cigs are so inlaid with so many chemicals & minerals you suffer from a kind of mineral deficiency after stopping that causes the taste buds to go.

Hang in there & good luck.

dave180

Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Rochester, NY
Wondering if I am the only one having this problem with e-juice taste.
Quit smoking entirely Mar 2013 after decades of heavy smoking.
I have excellent 1100mah batteries and a good dual coil atomizer with lots of vape and clean wicks.
(My husband has the same kind of apparatus)
He uses menthol/mint e-juice which I can taste well at the same strengths as my flavors.
(Shame I can't stand the taste of menthol, mint, spearmint etc)
I can taste a tobacco flavor of different kinds. This is what I started off using, however I tired of the tobacco favor and wanted the taste of fruit.
However, any other straight fruit flavors I use and have tested have very little to NIL flavor to me - hardly can taste or smell them.
Raspberry and pomegranate are the only ones out of scores of others I get somewhat of a taste and happen to like
At our local vape shop I have even paid an extra buck to have them add an additional shot of raspberry to a flavor...and NO difference.
I can't smell the flavors as I vape either, as others comment smelling.
I tasted a cola which sparked my taste buds a bit but as with the raspberry and pomegranate I frustratingly want to get MORE FLAVOR rather than just a hint of.
It doesn't matter what mg strength it is. 0-24 mgs -it's all the same. These e-juices from local vape shops are the norm pr/vg blend.
I recently received a LIQUA cola, apple, citrus.. from online vendor. Can taste a hint of it but tastes like flat watered down cola.
(I drink water enough each day - also I have NO problem in tasting and tasting foods including fruits)
Wondering if I made my own juices if I could up the flavoring content and gain pleasure in vaping. Perhaps using super concentrates now available in fruit flavors. It will be my next step in persuit of vaping happiness. :)

Howdy, thought I'd chime in here as I originally had the same issues as you. I was a 10 year smoker and generally had a very bland sense of taste. I quit smoking and started vaping in May, I tried everything, and like you, couldn't taste ANYTHING. It was infuriating, I just wanted to smoke a cigarette for the flavor alone. I ended up ordering the root beer flavor from Mad Vapes and that's what did it for me. It wasn't full on taste, but it was good and the spice of the root beer helped a ton.

Just give it some time your taste buds should come back stronger than ever, along with your sense of smell (which sucks when you're at the gym, a whole other side of stink you never noticed).

Edit: Mt Baker Vapor allows you to order additional flavor shots in their juices, but beware, certain juices will become very perfumey, it's best to use the live chat with one of their employees to ask before.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the valuable info and encouragement. 44 yrs of smoking ...what do I expect? Blessed I checked out aokay with chest xrays recently. I will NEVER go back to regular cigarettes again. Vaping has been my savior. Recently had GBladder surgery and vaped in the hospital bed for over a week. No one cared and it took the edge off. held on to my e-cig for dear life LOL.
I use to be a professional singer from age 4 til my 30s til my voice went downhill. Once a soprano, I can barely sing bass LOL...get a note out.
Could I be so lucky for some of my voice to return too LOL. can only hope.
i will look into those zinc vitamins pronto!
Blessings to all - diane

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
Don't let it worry you. Everyone's body and metabolism is different. It takes some longer than others to cleanse the decades of nastiness that we absorbed and that grafted itself into our fleshy membranes and tissues.

It'll take a little while. After nearly 3 months, I'm still hacking stuff up.

Can you smell the e-liquid itself, from the bottle?

I can't always smell the exhales, but I can taste them. And if I step out of the room I was vaping in, and step back in, then I can smell it. But then again, we are all different.

Our tastes, and what we can taste, are different. You should see the facepalms go up when I review something some else reviews with totally different results! It's hilarious, and embarrassing to get totally different ideas from the same juices. But that's what makes us unique individuals. Just enjoy what you discover you enjoy. And sometimes change things up and grab something you might not think you would enjoy... it might surprise you (and no, I'm not talking crab juice or bacon, either ;) ).

Oh, and congratulations on surviving your surgery while vaping!

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
Try some of Roar's fruit juices. Theirs are the best. They take a good 2 to 3 weeks to steep but are worth it. That bing said, I don't necessarily taste the different fruits the same way I taste them with actual fruits but the vapes are still excellent.

you can steep them until the cows come home, but I also never get more than a passing hint at "fruit flavor"- I get a hint of something , mostly the hint of $ evaporating from my wallet.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Thanks to all for the valuable info and encouragement. 44 yrs of smoking ...what do I expect? Blessed I checked out aokay with chest xrays recently. I will NEVER go back to regular cigarettes again. Vaping has been my savior. Recently had GBladder surgery and vaped in the hospital bed for over a week. No one cared and it took the edge off. held on to my e-cig for dear life LOL.
I use to be a professional singer from age 4 til my 30s til my voice went downhill. Once a soprano, I can barely sing bass LOL...get a note out.
Could I be so lucky for some of my voice to return too LOL. can only hope.
i will look into those zinc vitamins pronto!
Blessings to all - diane

Vocal chords are muscles also. They need to be exercised regularly. I'm a singer too and never lost my singing ability. I did lose some high ranges but have been working them since quitting smoking. I will never get back that pure tone but I am getting back into some of those higher ranges. At first the chords would make my neck/chords sore. Just don't overdo it. Give them time to rest just like when you lift weights.

I'm 53 and smoked for over 30 years. I love that I can hold a note far longer and not have it waver while trying to take it farther. Sing every chance you get. It can come back! :)

Skauth

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2013
Austin, Texas
I agree wholeheartedly with Robino1. As a fellow singer, and former smoker I experienced drastic degradation of my range and tone from cigarettes and cigars. For a long time I thought I had ruined my voice.

However, I couldn't stop the singing in the car and to my surprise, several months after quitting the strength and purity of my voice began to come back. Like a prayer answered, I swear. I don't think my tone will ever be as clear as it was before I started smoking, but my range is better than ever and my voice now has a slight smokiness/rasp that my peers love, even envy!

But if you give up on your voice and stop practicing, this won't happen for you. Have faith and keep singing (and vaping)!

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
There's very good advice from the posts already. I've been smoke free for a year and a half now after more than 40 years of smoking. I'll throw something new into the mix. There are quite a few threads on taste buds going on vacation from time to time. I finally found a vendor that mixes flavors to my specs and to top it off he's 20 minutes away from my home.

Among the many threads that deal with the no taste experience, I remember reading that when we vape the flavor doesn't come through from inhaling into the lungs, neither does the absorption of nicotine. Our sense of smell and taste is closely related to our nasal cavities. If you're not already doing this, try it. Inhale into your mouth and not your lungs. Instead exhale the vapor through your nose first and take another drag into your mouth, inhale a little bit into your lungs and then exhale through your nose and/or your mouth. There's quite a few threads for vapor inhaling techniques in the forum.

I hope you figure out how to make your vaping experience more enjoyable.

Dusif

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Denmark
Im having a similar problem... I can taste and smell my juices (non steeped) like a boss... The first 2 days and then theres absolutely nothing left... But if i then switch to another juice i can somewhat taste that... After a short hour ill change back and the first couple of puffs will be heaven... Then back to nothing/burned (even on a protank)... Now ive started mixing myself (loads of flavor) and ordered a genesis style tank (heard they give better taste)

But you should try switching between the juices once an hour

KatyLoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tulsa
I was a 40 year, 2.5 PAD smoker until about 7 months ago. Since I quit, my senses of taste and smell have not improved one bit and I stopped waiting for it to happen. Bad allergies probably have something to do with it. What I've learned to do is just stay away from the lighter fruity flavors. Lime works well for me ( I mix it myself at high concentrations), also cinnamon, mint, cola and tobacco flavors.

So much helpful input!
I will have to prod myself to start singing when by myself to the radio or wherever; will be encouraged by your posts! (My speaking voice has been effected thru the yrs as well, however has smoothed slightly in the last month)
Hmmmm, just tested this. Yes, I can smell my current juices somewhat by smelling the bottle...only...but can not smell the vapor...nor is there much taste, as mentioned.
Menthol, mint, spearmint juices I can taste the most and in some cases strongly, except I dislike these flavors...dang it LOL.
Pomegranate is the next one, 2nd on the short list...which I can taste tho not as strongly as mint, however, like the taste.
3rdly is raspberry, which is a FAV of mine, but can only get a hint of that wonderful taste.
Cola comes in 4th. I like to mix the raspberry in with cola.
cinnamon can be noted a bit but I am not fond of.
Rest of oodles tested...nothing...nada....zip lol
Within a couple of days I am going to order what it takes to DIY with the super concentrate fruity juices from VZ once I sort of figure some of this DIY out from reading on ECF, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread