My Tilemahos X1 experience (and issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadgrateful

Aug 25, 2016
Let me start off by saying I'm predominantly a MTL vaper, but occasionaly enjoy a temperature controlled vape from a dripper. I bought the Tilemahos X1 after seeing several V2 reviews online. I was a fairly early adopter and received my X1 at the beginning of June. For comparisons sake, I regularly use a kayfun Lite plus and also a Kabuki.

Before I go into the good and bad points, I should mention that I'm running this tank on a Dicodes Dani Box and occasionally on an Istick Pico.

The good

The build quality, finish and threading (mine is the shined version) is second to none. It's really really really well made and looks like it could survive a nuke.

The ease of putting in a coil/spring is very handy and as yet I've not had one fail or come loose. I've made my own from Kanthal all the way up to 1.6 Ohms and they fit in the gap perfectly (and stay in there nice and tight).

Works well in temp control. But you may have to use slightly different than expected settings. The stainless steel springs work with the suggested coefficient, but I'm running the zirconium ones at 120.

Refilling is a breeze (so long as you remember to screw down the juice flow first).

The bad

Wicking is a real PITA... Seriously I've tried absolutely every method outlined on every video and in every forum post. All with bacon bits 2.0. Every single time I start getting dry hits. They don't taste as bad with the Zirconium springs, but it's gotten to the point where I am no longer using this tank... If I open the juice control right up then it's better for a while, but they eventually return. I must have wasted 50mm of juice trying to get this thing wicking right.

My tank cracked :( It was fine with everything except some Apple Scrumple Juice which absolutely destroyed it. Not the fault of the X1 though in this case. I now use the stainless shined tank (even though I won't be using such acidic e-liquids in the future).

The vape is very harsh on the back of the throat. Especially with the lower resistance Zirconium springs. I end up having to run my mod with much lower power than normal and even then it's still too harsh. My current solution is to use kanthal at a higher resistance which makes for a much smoother vape suitable for MTL (still with a nice throat hit, but not so scratchy feeling).

Flavour... It's...OK I guess. Definitely comparable to my Kabuki and slightly better than the Nautilus tanks, but not up to Kayfun standards. The build quality and looks are much nicer though.

Unfortunately for me, the pro's of the springomizer are massively outweighed by the hassle of wicking this thing. Mostly because I can't access the build deck without emptying the tank, and I can't afford to keep throwing juice away. It simply isn't as nice a vape as my Kayfun's.

Imeo, if your reading this, can you please tell me where I can buy the internals to change my X1 into a regular Tilemahos V2?

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Dead, you are not alone with your issues. Many people had the same wicking issue like you. But the springomizer requires less cotton to work. If you put the cotton you usually put on your atomizers, you will have dry hits. So please put thinner cotton inside spring and you will have the vaping pleassure you want!

Reactions: subwayaznm

Deadgrateful

Aug 25, 2016
Thanks for the response Imeo. I've tried with thin cotton (bacon bits and Japanese). But unless I'm using my home made Kanthal springs (1.4-1.6ohm) it still can't keep up most of the time.

Do you recommend trying rayon instead perhaps? The strange thing is, that when the wick is saturated, the coil pop's and crackles more than any other tank I have. So it seems to me that for some reason it's just burning off the juice too fast. Even at a relatively low voltage (3.7-4.1v).

NandyDC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
San Juan, PR
In my case Rayon never works but with Japanese always works. Being using the same coil and wick for almost two weeks and the flavor stays stellar so far. My setup is a Zirconium spring coil with japanese wick temp controlled at 400F. The best vapor in a long time, vapes until the tank is empty, refilled countless times. What I do is, if the coil is 2.5mm I cut the wick 3mm, remove one of the outer layer and cut it flush to the channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deadgrateful

Aug 25, 2016
Cool, thanks for the tips NandyDC! So, is that with Koh Gen Do cotton (the pads). If so, I'll try your method today. I really think that my slightly lackluster flavour is to do with how saturated my wick is. Because every so often I get a great flavourful hit. I really want to get this thing performing!

What temp Coefficient are you running your zirconium at?

Reactions: imeothanasis

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
In my case Rayon never works but with Japanese always works. Being using the same coil and wick for almost two weeks and the flavor stays stellar so far. My setup is a Zirconium spring coil with japanese wick temp controlled at 400F. The best vapor in a long time, vapes until the tank is empty, refilled countless times. What I do is, if the coil is 2.5mm I cut the wick 3mm, remove one of the outer layer and cut it flush to the channel.

Where are you getting your Wire from please?

NandyDC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
San Juan, PR
Cool, thanks for the tips NandyDC! So, is that with Koh Gen Do cotton (the pads). If so, I'll try your method today. I really think that my slightly lackluster flavour is to do with how saturated my wick is. Because every so often I get a great flavourful hit. I really want to get this thing performing!

What temp Coefficient are you running your zirconium at?

Yes Im using the pads KGD. For the TC Im using the Pico at M1 (0120).

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
I must say this about most of these Tanks. They are good Tanks once you have them set. But at their best they still are not a Tank that lends itself to "Chain Vaping". They will not keep up. Two hits give it about a minute and your good for another two.
That has been my finding and I own a v2, v2+, X1, and a Ithaka.
And all will deliver good flavor given that opportunity

NandyDC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
San Juan, PR
I know that the Tile is a little temperamental tank, God knows how frustrated I had been sometimes but for most of the time is good. Is the only tank I trust for my all day vape in and out, and I chain vape almost all day until I hear my wife voice saying "hey enough" [emoji26]

Cant wait to have the VIR adapter for the Esterigon or other 18650 batt mod.

Deadgrateful

Aug 25, 2016
I guess I'd have to agree with those sentiments. The most frustrating thing for me (with any rta) is when you think every thing is figured out, all variables taken into account and then it just stops performing as expected. That's the experience I've had with the X1.... My second attempt wicking was perfection, and I could chain vape with 50/50 juice. But I've never found that sweet spot again and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

My Kayfun lite pro delivers a slightly less interesting vape (and less satisfying), but more reliably and with marginally better flavour. I'm going to persevere though, certainly some people here have got their set ups down to a fine art!

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
This is what I've been doing in my Tilemahos (Springomizer) and it works great:

(excuse the low light / quality pictures)

Cut a small piece of stainless steel mesh, of around 1.3mm x 2.5mm (I use 400 as is the one I have):

a1rgnq.jpg

1z6ruph.jpg

Roll it with the help of a pin:

slmwwn.jpg

Remove the pin and continue rolling it, it should fit loosely inside the spring:

2zp4b6h.jpg

Another view of the final length:

2v99gky.jpg

Insert the spring.
I'm using a zirconium spring that I just cleaned.
It is very important to ensure that both sides of the spring fit tight in the slots, to have a good electrical contact.

25qxf1d.jpg

As I do not have cotton pads, I extended a piece of cellucotton (cotton, not rayon), and wrapped it around the stainless steel mesh rod:

295d8rc.jpg

5kksoy.jpg

Insert the cotton wick as you usually do, this time it has a stainless steel mesh core.

Pull the wick from one side until you feel the mesh rod is flush with the channel, you can adjust it by pulling from the other side. Both ends should be flush with the channels, without interfering with the liquid flow control / mouthpiece.

2m2b42a.jpg

Cut the wick flush to the channels:

dxol6s.jpg

103ajyx.jpg

Prime it with liquid:

34gkgzk.jpg

Assemble the remaining parts (mouthpiece, tank), fill it, screw the top cap, and start by opening the juice control 1 or 2 turns.

Enjoy.

29zpjld.jpg

The mesh helps to keep the cotton at its place, it is very common that after opening and closing the juice flow control, it moves the ends of the wick, leaving gaps between the channels and the wick, affecting the correct wicking.

And of course, the mesh helps to maintain a proper liquid flow and acts as a reservoir.

You can reuse the stainless steel mesh rod when you need to change the cotton.

:)

Deadgrateful

Aug 25, 2016
ArielMX, I sense your a very determined and patient man! An engineer or designer by trade perhaps?

I don't have any stainless mesh where I am currently, but I'll try this back in the UK. Does this not make the wick a little tight in the coil?

I'm going to post a pic of my wicking this eve and will hopefully get something more suitable to (semi) chain vaping.

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
ArielMX, I sense your a very determined and patient man! An engineer or designer by trade perhaps?

I don't have any stainless mesh where I am currently, but I'll try this back in the UK. Does this not make the wick a little tight in the coil?

I'm going to post a pic of my wicking this eve and will hopefully get something more suitable to (semi) chain vaping.

:D I work in IT (degree in computer science, IT infrastructure).

I guess it depends on how much stainless steel mesh and how tight it's rolled, and the amount of cotton used to wrap it up.

The one you saw in the pictures, had a tight fit, but has been working fine since last night (no dry hits or wicking problems), I have opened the liquid control more or less 3-4 full turns.

I'm not sure if you can appreciate in the picture how open the liquid control is:

1qfhgn.jpg

You can play with the mesh size and the amount of cotton used to wrap it.

Now the problem I see, is to ensure good electrical contact.

:)

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Ariel, are you running TC or simply wattage??

Right now in wattage (Power) mode (the mod has a SX350J-v2 chip).

I'll let the atomizer to cool down and I'll try to run it in TC mode. Last time I used it in TC mode, I configured a TCR of 0.00088.

Edit: It looks like it is working fine with a TCR of 0.00088, 25.0 Joules, 26ºC "Compensate temp", 0.556 ohms.

Last edited:

Deadgrateful

Aug 25, 2016
I run mine with a tcr of 0.00120 at 30w with the zirconium spring. Works perfectly with 50/50 juice so long as I don't try chain vaping. I've found out that (for me at least) the intensity of flavour is very much dictated by how saturated the wick is.

As was already mentioned in this thread, so long as you don't chain vape, things are pretty good.

Deadgrateful

Aug 25, 2016
Sooo, short update time... I've now tried a much thinner wicking method, with and without a couple mm in the channel. With the Zir spring I literally cannot go higher than 3.6 volts without burning the hell out of the juice/coil. This puts me at about 18 watts which gives a very weak vape. Back to the drawing board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread