my USB Pass Through.. not that great.. why??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneakerpimp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
The O.C.
so i got this thing figuring it would be great at home and save the life of my batteries…

usb_passthrough_e_cig_variable_voltage-.png

works great with my carto and dripper set ups. been using it daily for 10 weeks but yesterday i noticed something: in switching out tanks i found that my vv mod, egos and even my mech gave a much better vape. all my coils are 1.9 ohm (+/- 0.2) and my vv's normally set at 3.2vb or 3.7v; ego and mech of course are 3.7v.

the vape is richer and seems cooler and smoother.

why is this?

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I use these often. I use a 2 amp wall wart and 1.8 ohm coils on a T2 or Evod. I usually set mine to 3.6v (pink I think) or, if I need I bit more hit I might crank it up a notch to the 4.2 (red?) setting. The other 2 setting 3.0v (blue) and 4.8v (green) are useless for my purposes. I find them to be a good device, especially for use in the car on long road trips.

Benzin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Cancun MX
I dont own one of those, but i think i know why you are not getting good results from yours.
¿what are you pluggin that USB cable into?
If its the USB port of your computer, or one of those small wall/usb adapters, you most likely have a current limitation of about 500mas (milliamps). While your mods use batteries with at least 2.5amps (or 2500mas)

Long story short, your charger/pc port might not be supplying enough current for the pass through to work properly.
- look at the charger, it should have a label saying the maximun current output it supports (current, not volts).
try a larger capacity charger

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I use it periodically, it's always hit like a beast for me. Plugged into my laptop (which has high-current USB outputs, to my surprise!)

I'd agree with Benzin, though. Whatever you're driving it with probably won't supply enough power.

(Edit) Or perhaps you're running it too hard, and the carto can't keep up?

Last edited:
It could be your wall wart. 2 ohms (give or take some) requires 1.8 amps output to produce full power--and most wall warts are either not quite up to that or worse.

Plugged into your computer, for instance, you're probably limited to 0.5 or 1.0 amps and only generating half the wattage or so.

X6X8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Paris, Tx, USA
Would you consider building a coil for one of the voltages available on the usb? If so, you should be able to find nirvana.

Considering your coils, you're running about 4.9 to 6.0 watts at 3.2 volts, and 6.5 to 8.0 watts at 3.7 volts with your batteries. This is a larger range of wattage acceptability than I like, so I'm not sure what you would consider your sweet spot.

The available voltages on the usb are 3.0, 3.6, 4.2, and 4.8. You indicate that you like a cooler, richer vape, so I'd recommend that you not use the 4.2 or 4.8 voltages with the coils you mentioned. The 3.0 volt setting would provide 4.3 to 5.2 watts, and the 3.6 would be 6.2 to 7.6 watts. Depending on that variance given for your coils. 1.9 ohm (with no variance) at 3.6 volts would be ok for me.

About 6.8 watts is my sweet spot. So I try to build my coils at 2.6 ohm for 4.2 volts on the usb (red) and my X6 battery (blue).

I use these same pass throughs and prefer them if I'm where I can plug in. At home, and in the car, they are all I use. The USB is constant, and the vape never changes.

In my opinion, a battery vape gets cooler and less satisfying with use. At least my X6 does. But I still use my battery if I'm on the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread