My vape's throat hit is pretty harsh, do I need to replace my atomizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_DDMM

Mar 6, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Right now my set up is a 1000mah eGo CTwist and dripping w/ a 510 atomizer(high resistance if I remember correctly) and a drip tip. I've had my atomizer for 7 days now and bought a new 12ml bottle of Pink Spot's Pear O Melons w/ 6mg of nicotine 2 days ago. Since then every puff I've taken has been a lot harsher. Could it be the new flavor or is it my atomizer that needs to be replaced? I've searched long and hard for an answer before posting and couldn't find an answer so I apologize if this has been answered before.

Also for future references how do you tell if you need to replace your atomizer?

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Did you try a lower voltage on the Twist? that's the first thing, but if you already did and its harsh, it could be that atomizer is burnt at the coil... did you over heat it at any point?
Sometimes that happens early on, and then the harshness stays.... but there's a difference between "harsh" and "burnt" too.
Does it happen even right after dripping?
You may not be dripping enough (but over-dripping is worse because you get less flavor and less vapor).

You should have a set of atomizers anyway.... I recommend hybrid atomizers for best flavor and vapor (avidvapers' Aero or Vapage's AMG hybrid b/f - which you can use to drip on too). hybrid is a cross between 510 and 306 in a 510 body.

I doubt you have a high resistance atomizer unless you are really cranking the Twist up... get a cheap multi meter to test resistance.

if we had more info like that we'd be better able to help.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
not that soon, an atomizer will last about a week of heavy vaping before it needs cleaning... just soak in cheap vodka for about 20 min. and then rinse with water and dry out a bit...
if you overfeed your atty, best to blow it out from the connector end and start over; nothing worse than flooded atty. maybe except for a dry one ;)
Data I have so far.... just started.... is that atmos are only good for about 4 fill cycles before needing either cleaning or replacing. More experienced vapers might say, clean them every fill cycle. I mean, EVERYthing works best when it's new.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Your atty is probably just dirty and needs a cleaning and dry burn to restore it back to close to new perormance. I would suggest to rinse it good with warm water at the sink, blow it out from the top to clear the airflow holes, then dry burn. If the coil has a hard crust of burnt juice on it you may have to pick some of it off, don't leave any on or you will taste it.

Generally I'll run an atty till the coil pops, should be able to go through a bunch of cleaning cycles before that happens most of the time. A cheap multimeter would be good to have to check your attys to see if they are shot . The other option is to treat them like the disposable things they are meant to be and just toss them when they don't perform up to snuff anymore, I prefer cleaning them myself, much cheaper.

Last edited:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
try a cleaning ... won't hurt... but it could be the juice... 6mg shouldn't be harsh but i can't think of anything else.... if you keep at this you go through a learning curve and there are so many options out there... you'll be able to tailor your vaping needs to a tee. :)

I'm not sure if I've over heated it. How would I be able to tell? But it's still harsh after dripping, even at 3.2 volts. It doesn't taste burnt, just harsh at my throat every hit.

I'll look into getting one. Thanks for the tip!

And it might be a regular one, not a high resistance. I forgot. Ahah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread