Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Success for each of us is very individual. For some people so long as they aren't smoking they have succeeded, for others they want to put it all behind them, to include vaping someday. I am in the later category.

It has been brought to my attention that not everyone on the forum knows I stopped vaping. (Thanks @Katdarling ) So I thought I'd share with those who are old timers as well as newcomers my story; my own journey to a smoke free, and currently vape free life.

I began vaping a little hopeless. I had tried to quit smoking so many times, using every method known to man, quite unsuccessfully. So I had little to no hope vaping would actually help get me off the smokes and saw it as just another money pit.

However, my health had finally deteriorated to the point walking to my mailbox required rest stops to catch my breath, and doing simple housework was making my lips turn blue.

Something had to give so it was with desperation that I bought an Ego battery with a ce4 kit on June 4, 2014. My first ejuice was purchased from Carolina Flavors back then.. same day.

I was dying miserably, so I was giving myself one more chance to quit smoking. I had my doctors approval, she was very supportive and explained vaping was much safer than smoking, and that it was a valid way to quit. But I'm not sure it mattered, I wasn't personally hopeful it would work .

So, on the day the ego and ejuice arrived in the mail I charged the battery read the instructions and proceeded to put down a 32 year long 2 PAD smoking habit.

I didn't smoke for two full weeks and it wasn't always easy as my husband was a smoker who smoked around me. But I was determined. Through the coughing, hackin and withdrawal hell, which I had both in spades, I stood firm and chain vaped my rear end off.. I'm not even sure I put that ego down to sleep, it was my lifeline.

But I made it through. At the two week mark I had a moment of weakness and broke down and lit up. My God that was horrible. The taste? Wow..I hadn't remembered it tasting quite that bad, but my cinnamon roll and baked goods ejuice had me spoiled by this time. I put out that cigarette and didn't pick another one up again.

My health improved dramatically, I could breathe better than I could ever remember breathing. My blood pressure dropped and my unrelated pain levels dropped as well. I was a new person, with a new lease on life.

After a year of vaping I realized I was leaving the house without my vape and not missing it, that I was going longer and longer periods of time without vaping. And for the first time it struck me, I wasn't addicted to vaping the way I was addicted to smoking. And for the first time I realized, I can quit vaping! So the next day I threw away all my vape gear to make the break easier, and proceeded to attempt to quit vaping.

Well, there were many things I hadn't taken into consideration, the fact that I had a 32 year hand to mouth habit was definitely one. Quitting was more difficult than I had first imagined and I was ill prepared for the difficulty level.

At the first stressful moment I caved and bummed a smoke from my husband who was still smoking in the house... and one cigarette led to another which led to a pack which led to a carton and before I knew it I was smoking again.

At one point I realized I was stupid smoking when all I had to do was buy more vape gear, so i bought another ego etc (it worked the first time) and proceeded to quit smoking again. Yea! I was successful ... again.

This time I was scared to even try to quit vaping again. I saw myself as a hopeless addict and vaping as the only thing that stood between me and cigarettes. But that mindset isn't a positive one for my soul, so at one point I determined to try quitting vaping again. August 2016 I believe it was.. (I never wrote that down though so can't be positive)

I made a very serious attempt to quit that time, and I took lesson from my previous failure - i didn't throw away my vape gear, went a couple weeks without nicotine first, and was emotionally prepared for what was to come.

I succeeded... I was quit until about February 2018, about 5 months.. and then when I caved it was at least for a vape and not a cigarette.

When I came back to vaping last year i always said that one fine day I was going to wake up and be ready to put vaping behind me for good, I'd just be done, no warning at all.

That day was February 28 2018. I woke up and never took the first drag. I was, and am, just done. This is different than the other two quit attempts by far and that I can't explain. And while i can't promise that I'll never vape again, I've hit the pinnacle for me... I'm not smoking. I'm not an addict. I can walk away from vaping and it's not even that difficult this time. I'm satisfied.

Almost 4 years ago I was a smoker who was so addicted my kids told me I was going to die an old lady sucking on oxygen with emphysema still trying to suck down a cigarette... my son actually laughed when I told him I was going to try to switch to vaping.. said I'd never be able to quit.

And here I am today, just free. Free.

I have all of you long timers to thank, as all of you helped me learn and helped me get to this point. I have the inventors of vaping to thank as well, without them I'd be dead.

In short, if your on the fence about vaping don't be. It can save your life if you let it. You get out of it whatever you want to get out of it.

And I wanted freedom. I got it.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Without a hesitation or even the slightest of doubt, this has to be in my top 10, maybe even top 5 posts on ECF.

Opi, that was brilliantly beautiful. You painted a picture of your vape history that can only be seen via the heart.

Needless to say, I for one, wish you ENORMOUS congratulations on finally finding your freedom. You've been, and will continue to be, an inspiration to all who have and will come to know you.

With fond appreciation, and a smile that just won't stop.......

upload_2018-3-17_15-51-36.jpeg

KD~

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Without a hesitation or even the slightest of doubt, this has to be in my top 10, maybe even top 5 posts on ECF.

Opi, that was brilliantly beautiful. You painted a picture of your vape history that can only be seen via the heart.

Needless to say, I for one, wish you ENORMOUS congratulations on finally finding your freedom. You've been, and will continue to be, an inspiration to all who have and will come to know you.

With fond appreciation, and a smile that just won't stop.......

View attachment 729887

KD~

:wub:

Thank you so much for the compliment. :oops:

And thank you for the congratulations! :thumb: it's amazing!

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
I know where you are coming from. About a year or so ago I found myself in a situation where I couldn't vape for about 8 hours. I was surprised at how easily, after the initial jitters, I got through the situation. By the time I could vape, I wasn't really in a rush to do so. Just out of curiosity I decided not to vape the rest of the day. I was able to pull it off. I felt like I could quit if I wanted to, although I have no real desire to do so. That being said, congratulations to you on your success.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I know where you are coming from. About a year or so ago I found myself in a situation where I couldn't vape for about 8 hours. I was surprised at how easily, after the initial jitters, I got through the situation. By the time I could vape, I wasn't really in a rush to do so. Just out of curiosity I decided not to vape the rest of the day. I was able to pull it off. I felt like I could quit if I wanted to, although I have no real desire to do so. That being said, congratulations to you on your success.

And sometimes thats enough... just to know that we are doing what we are doing from choice and choice alone.

Congratulations !

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
And sometimes thats enough... just to know that we are doing what we are doing from choice and choice alone.

Congratulations !
I was probably more pessimistic than you in 2009 when I started my journey. I'm a trucker, and my goal was to only stop smoking in the truck. I didn't even really consider the possibility of quitting smoking altogether. It actually happened more or less as an accident for me. I still had a carton of smokes in the truck when I quit.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I was probably more pessimistic than you in 2009 when I started my journey. I'm a trucker, and my goal was to only stop smoking in the truck. I didn't even really consider the possibility of quitting smoking altogether. It actually happened more or less as an accident for me. I still had a carton of smokes in the truck when I quit.

If my health hadn't gotten as bad as it was, I never would have even tried it.

I was working when I heard of vaping. A new business had moved into the neighborhood and the owner was going around and giving out his card and offering 50% off to all the smokers in the neighboring businesses.

He was very nice, but I chalked up everything he said to a load of crap and vaping I decided was another stop smoking money pit.

I wrote it off and never thought about it again until I literally could not breathe. Then I remembered what he said, and went to my doctor to ask her opinion of vaping.

By then I was just desperate, I literally felt like I was suffocating..

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Success for each of us is very individual. For some people so long as they aren't smoking they have succeeded, for others they want to put it all behind them, to include vaping someday. I am in the later category.

It has been brought to my attention that not everyone on the forum knows I stopped vaping. (Thanks @Katdarling ) So I thought I'd share with those who are old timers as well as newcomers my story; my own journey to a smoke free, and currently vape free life.

I began vaping a little hopeless. I had tried to quit smoking so many times, using every method known to man, quite unsuccessfully. So I had little to no hope vaping would actually help get me off the smokes and saw it as just another money pit.

However, my health had finally deteriorated to the point walking to my mailbox required rest stops to catch my breath, and doing simple housework was making my lips turn blue.

Something had to give so it was with desperation that I bought an Ego battery with a ce4 kit on June 4, 2014. My first ejuice was purchased from Carolina Flavors back then.. same day.

I was dying miserably, so I was giving myself one more chance to quit smoking. I had my doctors approval, she was very supportive and explained vaping was much safer than smoking, and that it was a valid way to quit. But I'm not sure it mattered, I wasn't personally hopeful it would work .

So, on the day the ego and ejuice arrived in the mail I charged the battery read the instructions and proceeded to put down a 32 year long 2 PAD smoking habit.

I didn't smoke for two full weeks and it wasn't always easy as my husband was a smoker who smoked around me. But I was determined. Through the coughing, hackin and withdrawal hell, which I had both in spades, I stood firm and chain vaped my rear end off.. I'm not even sure I put that ego down to sleep, it was my lifeline.

But I made it through. At the two week mark I had a moment of weakness and broke down and lit up. My God that was horrible. The taste? Wow..I hadn't remembered it tasting quite that bad, but my cinnamon roll and baked goods ejuice had me spoiled by this time. I put out that cigarette and didn't pick another one up again.

My health improved dramatically, I could breathe better than I could ever remember breathing. My blood pressure dropped and my unrelated pain levels dropped as well. I was a new person, with a new lease on life.

After a year of vaping I realized I was leaving the house without my vape and not missing it, that I was going longer and longer periods of time without vaping. And for the first time it struck me, I wasn't addicted to vaping the way I was addicted to smoking. And for the first time I realized, I can quit vaping! So the next day I threw away all my vape gear to make the break easier, and proceeded to attempt to quit vaping.

Well, there were many things I hadn't taken into consideration, the fact that I had a 32 year hand to mouth habit was definitely one. Quitting was more difficult than I had first imagined and I was ill prepared for the difficulty level.

At the first stressful moment I caved and bummed a smoke from my husband who was still smoking in the house... and one cigarette led to another which led to a pack which led to a carton and before I knew it I was smoking again.

At one point I realized I was stupid smoking when all I had to do was buy more vape gear, so i bought another ego etc (it worked the first time) and proceeded to quit smoking again. Yea! I was successful ... again.

This time I was scared to even try to quit vaping again. I saw myself as a hopeless addict and vaping as the only thing that stood between me and cigarettes. But that mindset isn't a positive one for my soul, so at one point I determined to try quitting vaping again. August 2016 I believe it was.. (I never wrote that down though so can't be positive)

I made a very serious attempt to quit that time, and I took lesson from my previous failure - i didn't throw away my vape gear, went a couple weeks without nicotine first, and was emotionally prepared for what was to come.

I succeeded... I was quit until about February 2018, about 5 months.. and then when I caved it was at least for a vape and not a cigarette.

When I came back to vaping last year i always said that one fine day I was going to wake up and be ready to put vaping behind me for good, I'd just be done, no warning at all.

That day was February 28 2018. I woke up and never took the first drag. I was, and am, just done. This is different than the other two quit attempts by far and that I can't explain. And while i can't promise that I'll never vape again, I've hit the pinnacle for me... I'm not smoking. I'm not an addict. I can walk away from vaping and it's not even that difficult this time. I'm satisfied.

Almost 4 years ago I was a smoker who was so addicted my kids told me I was going to die an old lady sucking on oxygen with emphysema still trying to suck down a cigarette... my son actually laughed when I told him I was going to try to switch to vaping.. said I'd never be able to quit.

And here I am today, just free. Free.

I have all of you long timers to thank, as all of you helped me learn and helped me get to this point. I have the inventors of vaping to thank as well, without them I'd be dead.

In short, if your on the fence about vaping don't be. It can save your life if you let it. You get out of it whatever you want to get out of it.

And I wanted freedom. I got it.

I absolutely LOVE this story, and LOVE your perspective & presentation of it. Standing ovation, and I have a strong feeling that I'm far from alone!!!

There are a rare few, if any, feelings that compare to setting a goal, then HITTING that goal. I/we are THRILLED for you, Opi, and whether you decide to stick around or leave, your mark here is undeniable and forever.

I also don't think I'm alone in hoping you stick around, but that's easy for me to say. It's what YOU feel that counts, and whatever you decide, we're sure glad that you came. Your insight, knowledge, and perspective, have helped many on their own personal journeys achieve their own personal goals.

Here, our dear, is to battles won. :toast:

And THANK YOU for sharing!!! :thumbs:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I absolutely LOVE this story, and LOVE your perspective & presentation of it. Standing ovation, and I have a strong feeling that I'm far from alone!!!

There are a rare few, if any, feelings that compare to setting a goal, then HITTING that goal. I/we are THRILLED for you, Opi, and whether you decide to stick around or leave, your mark here is undeniable and forever.

I also don't think I'm alone in hoping you stick around, but that's easy for me to say. It's what YOU feel that counts, and whatever you decide, we're sure glad that you came. Your insight, knowledge, and perspective, have helped many on their own personal journeys achieve their own personal goals.

Here, our dear, is to battles won. :toast:

And THANK YOU for sharing!!! :thumbs:

:toast: Cheers!

As for staying, I really don't know. I want just to say I conquered and then get on with my life .. pass the torch onto others to spread the word.

But then, my whole family now vapes. If I don't drop by then I won't know when the latest and greatest is released and able to be purchased for my son, for instance, who has a love for the latest and greatest.. lol.

I still have to make ejuice and build coils for a husband who vapes (yes, I spoil him rotten, I even fill his tank for him and charge his batteries.. lol - I am the vape fairy, and yes my husband calls me that) So sharing an occasional recipe and/or benefit from someone else sharing one of their own is a benefit indeed.

So, perhaps I won't leave altogether, but rather pop in every now and again and say boo, but I definitely won't be here as much most likely.

I think it's weird as someone who doesn't vape to sit around and talk about vaping.. it just feels off.. lol.

But I do love all of you.. for real. :)

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Congrats O on reaching freedom. Just make sure you keep the vape stuff around, cleaned up and ready to go. I too have stopped several times, once for quite awhile but get the itch and pick it up again. The first time I hadn't cleaned anything before shelving it and was a chore getting it all cleaned up enough to vape on, you don't need an excuse to pick up a cigarette.

Your vaping experience is invaluable and sure hope you stick around to share with others. The non-vape chat, banter and laughs will just be a bonus.

Congrats,
Az

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Congratulations Opinionated, and thanks for sharing your quitting (all the way to quitting vaping) story, fantastic!

Congrats to you and I hope quitting vaping and I really, really hope it continues to be a smooth transition for you. Congrats and well done, it sounds like you are doing fantastic. Of course we will all miss you and hope you pop back in from time to time.

I also wanted to thank you for being so encouraging and helpful when I showed up here wanting to quit. You are one of the first people on ECF I really identified by name (LOL, it may have been the name) so thanks.

You have helped so many people on ECF, more than you even realize I'm sure. We are all pulling for you :)

Anna

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
What a heart warming, inspirational story!

Absolutely love this story. Congratulations.

Congrats O on reaching freedom. Just make sure you keep the vape stuff around, cleaned up and ready to go. I too have stopped several times, once for quite awhile but get the itch and pick it up again. The first time I hadn't cleaned anything before shelving it and was a chore getting it all cleaned up enough to vape on, you don't need an excuse to pick up a cigarette.

Your vaping experience is invaluable and sure hope you stick around to share with others. The non-vape chat, banter and laughs will just be a bonus.

Congrats,
Az

Congratulations :wub:

To the best Vape Fairy ever - a huge congratulations. I for one, hope you do stick around ECF. I love reading your advice and your stories. You are truly inspirational.
With love,
Catherine

Congratulations Opinionated, and thanks for sharing your quitting (all the way to quitting vaping) story, fantastic!

Congrats to you and I hope quitting vaping and I really, really hope it continues to be a smooth transition for you. Congrats and well done, it sounds like you are doing fantastic. Of course we will all miss you and hope you pop back in from time to time.

I also wanted to thank you for being so encouraging and helpful when I showed up here wanting to quit. You are one of the first people on ECF I really identified by name (LOL, it may have been the name) so thanks.

You have helped so many people on ECF, more than you even realize I'm sure. We are all pulling for you :)

Anna

You know, I can discuss any topic intelligently, but I get a little lost when people compliment me because I've never figured out how to accept a compliment gracefully and with humility.

So I stammer... lol. Forgive me that fault.

I thank all of you for your well wishes, compliments, excellent advice, and love..

I love you all.. I'm proud to know all of you..

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
You know, I can discuss any topic intelligently, but I get a little lost when people compliment me because I've never figured out how to accept a compliment gracefully and with humility.

So I stammer... lol. Forgive me that fault.

I thank all of you for your well wishes, compliments, excellent advice, and love..

I love you all.. I'm proud to know all of you..
Pretty graceful there.Opinionated.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I think it's weird as someone who doesn't vape to sit around and talk about vaping.. it just feels off.. lol.

But I do love all of you.. for real. :)

Sometimes, Opi, I feel that exact way about myself, and I DO vape. It's not always balanced to me to "sit around and talk about" it.

Yet on occasion, I do.

We share. ;)

And we love ya too, kiddo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread