The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Nail Art w/Top coat

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by Porphy, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Porphy

Porphy Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

Jun 12, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Here's my first 510 cosmetic mod(s). It's nail art decals applied and a clear topcoat to seal. Total "craft time" is about 5 minutes per e-cig.

[​IMG]

Steps:

1.) Assemble - Nail Art (your choice of graphic), Fine thread emery nail buffer, clear topcoat (in bottle or spray).

Note: For these I used regular nail clear topcoat in the bottle. The finish is thick. I would suggest spray.

[​IMG]

3.) Buff the area you wish to apply a graphic to. If you want to topcoat the whole battery then buff the whole battery.

4.) Apply nail art in the fashion you wish.

Warning! - Consider the design of your e-cig and how it relates to chargers, PCC's, etc. I made the mistake of strapping a decal on my wife's battery at the connecting end. It will now only fit into the PCC charger. The decal and topcoat will add a minimal bit of girth to your e-cig, so snug fitting fixtures will either not work or scrape off decals. Topcoat alone should be fine.

5.) Apply the topcoat over the decal or entire area depending on the look you are going for. Mine are totally topcoated and as a result MUCH shinier than the original matte black and now match the shiny plastic carts we get.

Note: If doing both the battery and atty, attach them. Topcoat the battery first while holding the atty then allow it to dry. Once the battery is dry hold it and apply topcoat to the atty.

After it dries - Viola! Easy-peezy graphic ghetto art for your e-cig. Low cost, easy to do, and as durable as the parts are. Since the parts are bound to die at some point other methods might not be cost effective.
    -------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------

Big Thanks to Vconrad and a couple others (sorry lost the thread where I got this idea) for giving me the idea and the means to make it happens.

Now as soon as my Bedazzler rhinestones get in I'll do the "Jeweled LED" mod that Vconrad figured out. Showing us how D'ligt E-cigs is making a 25 dollar profit off a half cent mod LOL. I'll post the new e-cigs when I hook em up!

2. SudokuGal

SudokuGal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2009
    USA-Florida
    Great! Glad I have to go to Walmart today so I can try my hand at this.

3. vconrad

vconrad Full Member ECF Veteran

Jun 28, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Nice job Porphy. I love it!

4. Robert

Robert Moved On

Jun 18, 2009
    San Diego, CA.
    Funny you should post this- I've also been using some nail stuff to make the 510 atty better, just this morning I had an idea. Detail to follow! It's Drying

5. Porphy

Jun 12, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Dude! If you find a place that sells "manly" nail art hook me up with a link. The best I could find was a chain, and while it looks cool, I'd prefer a skull, flames, 4 armed-world-domination-bent-flesh-eaten-zombie-cyborg...you know something with muscle.

Edit: in reflection to what I just wrote the hilarity of trying to find "manly" nail art hit me, but I know it's out there!!!

6. Jennee26

Jennee26 Super Member ECF Veteran

May 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    :lol: Porphy - I think I have seen skulls, but not the 4 armed-world-domination-bent-flesh-eaten-zombie-cyborg. LOL.

7. kellie

kellie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2009
    Binghamton, NY

Ebay has tons for a sheet of 20 for $2 just type in skull nail decals or giants nail decals :D or
    http://cgi.ebay.com/20-WATER-SLIDE-NAIL-ART-DECALS-SKULL-HEAD_W0QQitemZ180389658901QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a000fc115&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    or here ya go custom made for you
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-MADE-YOUR-WAY-SET-OF-20-NAIL-DECALS_W0QQitemZ230332282550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a0dfb6b6&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

8. Cori

Cori Super Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2009
    USA
  9. Porphy

Jun 12, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Thanks Cori and Kellie great links. Found some skulls, daggers, etc. now to pick the perfect ones.

10. SharonLM

SharonLM Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Been doing the same thing for over 2 months now. Same decals purchased at the same place.....great minds think alike ;)

See my avatar. My Screwdriver looks like that too, but my AdapteR has a beautiful Rose on it.

I don't use the topcoat and don't buff. The nail decals go on nicely without it too. Plus they come off if you want to peel them off and the remaining residue is easy to get off.

11. Kelly79

Kelly79 Guest

Jul 7, 2009
    Alaska
    Here's mine, I also have modded my bluetooth earpiece to match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SharonLM

That's pretty Kelly! I like the borders and the heart!

ETA: Decorating the Prodigy and Screwdriver was easy, the AdapteR doesn't look as good and I may do something different than the large rose I have on it, but the Copper that I have coming is going to really be a challenge to feminize!

13. Kelly79

Kelly79 Guest

Jul 7, 2009
    Alaska
    the heart is actually on the cart, all my carts have a sticker to indicate the nic level and to help line up the atty cause the teabag filler with the 901 must be lined up or it doesn't fit well.

14. SharonLM

That's a novel idea!

15. Porphy

Jun 12, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Nifty work there! Yeah the topcoat isn't needed to get the graphics on. It just shines up an e-cig nicely and acts as an extra sealer. If you want to take the decals off before the battery/atty dies then just use the nail art alone.

@ Kell79 - how does your 510 battery do in the charger with the nail art on the bottom like it is? I did a ring of flowers on my wife's first battery and now it'll only fit in the PCC charger.

16. SharonLM

Since I have mine on the Screwdriver, Prodigy and Adapter I hopefully won't be losing the tubes that hold the batteries...;). It does personalize them doesn't it? One of the members sent some nifty pictures of nail art that Amazon carries. There's lots of variety!

17. Kelly79

Kelly79 Guest

Jul 7, 2009
    Alaska
    it's a 901, so no conflict with the charger, I don't know how the 510's are but the 901 have a female atty connector and a male batt connector ; the external part of the batt doesn't go into the charger very far.

18. Kelly79

Kelly79 Guest

Jul 7, 2009
    Alaska
    you can probably also use the decals made for making dollhouse miniatures, they have some pretty ones.

19. Trypwyr

Trypwyr Full Member ECF Veteran

Jul 10, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    What about the decals available online for plastic models? Sometimes you see some really cool ones on the warplane models... should be able to find some quite manly ones.

Tryp

20. Kelly79

Kelly79 Guest

Jul 7, 2009
    Alaska
    BTW on one of my USB chargers(general DSE), and one of the wall charger the batt does go in, but most stickers won't cause problems, just the gem ones do, but the specific 901 USB charger fits those fine cause when they screw in they are flush not recessed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.