Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Humm, mil-spec covers a bit more than meeting a drop test procedure pulled from an enormous spec. Not that I think the Aegis isn't a good mod but I was thinking about the quality of the electronics (parts grade) and shock/vibe/thermal testing.
According to a claim the manufacturer made the origional ageis passed some definition of milspec testing. They then spent a couple of years designing the legend to also pass the testing. It failed only on the drop test and in a particular way. There is data online if you want to google it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You know, this stuff somehow seems tailor made for me (although it's been a bit since I have dunked a mod in a cup of coffee) yet somehow, I am also kind of afraid to use it. I'mma gonna wait.

I would use it on my phone except like my phones always last for years longer than anyone else's.

I would have paid dearly for this stuff during my son's "let me dunk my phone into the toilet" phase. It was not that they weren't WARRANTIED (they all were) it's just my belief that if you dunk your phone into the toilet, you deserve to LIVE with that knowledge as you continue to use your phone. I consider it a very fair natural consequence.

Oh well, they probably sent the "refurbished" phone that had been dunked in someone ELSE'S toilet. Etc.

The irony is my son is now working on fixing phones and computers and all that jazz. I am seriously considering sending him my broken Procyon to see if he could fix it. I only understand 1/4 of what he says these days, they keep bonusing the kid up because he is gifted at selling accessories during the repair process, etc. My kid could sell you a dead dog though, he is a natural born entrepreneur, man.

They want to train him to be a manager! I am a proud mommy.

Okay... that went some unexpected direction. I think I'm going to ask the KID about it though because I bet he will have a dissertation on the subject. LOL.

Anna

GreySG

Dec 27, 2013
AL, USA
According to a claim the manufacturer made the origional ageis passed some definition of milspec testing. They then spent a couple of years designing the legend to also pass the testing. It failed only on the drop test and in a particular way. There is data online if you want to google it.
Yeah, I did look up the specific test that was passed.
Here is a quote about the drop test itself:
"For the record, MIL-STD-810G is the standard you’ll often see, more specifically Method 516.6 Procedure IV (Transit Drop Test). It’s buried in a document that’s more than 800 pages long. You can download it at EverySpec if you’re interested, but to save you the time, it states that the drop surface should be 2-inch thick plywood over concrete. The device in the case will sequentially be dropped onto each face, edge, and corner for a total of 26 drops. After each drop, the device is visually inspected for functional and structural integrity.
However, manufacturers are allowed to use up to five different samples while testing. That means each case is potentially only being dropped five or six times and the orientation can be changed for each drop, which doesn’t test for cumulative damage. It’s also being dropped onto plywood, not a sidewalk."

Here is the link (about phone cases but the same test):
Military Drop Test Standards For Phone Cases Aren't Strict | Digital Trends

Not saying that Geekvape went in this direction but when I referred to a mil-spec mod it covers a bit more than one test out of hundreds.:)

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
If he does have a dissertation on this spray stuff, record it and give us a post of it. It is an intriguing product.

You know, this stuff somehow seems tailor made for me (although it's been a bit since I have dunked a mod in a cup of coffee) yet somehow, I am also kind of afraid to use it. I'mma gonna wait.

I would use it on my phone except like my phones always last for years longer than anyone else's.

I would have paid dearly for this stuff during my son's "let me dunk my phone into the toilet" phase. It was not that they weren't WARRANTIED (they all were) it's just my belief that if you dunk your phone into the toilet, you deserve to LIVE with that knowledge as you continue to use your phone. I consider it a very fair natural consequence.

Oh well, they probably sent the "refurbished" phone that had been dunked in someone ELSE'S toilet. Etc.

The irony is my son is now working on fixing phones and computers and all that jazz. I am seriously considering sending him my broken Procyon to see if he could fix it. I only understand 1/4 of what he says these days, they keep bonusing the kid up because he is gifted at selling accessories during the repair process, etc. My kid could sell you a dead dog though, he is a natural born entrepreneur, man.

They want to train him to be a manager! I am a proud mommy.

Okay... that went some unexpected direction. I think I'm going to ask the KID about it though because I bet he will have a dissertation on the subject. LOL.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I shall. I just talked to him so it may be a bit.

I am DEFINIELY sending him my Procyon. It's not like he could make it worse, and if I have a "natural repairer of mods" on my hands, well, that would be GOOD and also, he could repay me for my AWESOME health insurance I placed him on (it only cost me 20 bucks more a month because my company subsidies health insurance heavily because they employ a lot of young single moms.

So he's got until 26 .I don't think HR was happy, but man blame Obama, not me. I was a young single mom once, and I had to BUY my own insurance for a long time.

This was back in the day before preexisting conditions were this big thing. I could actually buy it. I miss those days.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread