National Park Service Outlaws Vaping in National Parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
If you're going camping at Yellowstone, fishing in Big Bend, or air boating in The Everglades
National Parks leave your vaping gear behind.
The National Park Service, under the direction of Jonathan B. Harvis has issued
a policy memorandum placing electronic nicotine delivery systems in the same class
as traditional cigarettes, effectively banning their use in National Park Service-managed facilities, vehicles and publicly shared spaces.
The rationale for this decision is that according to them (NPS) the nicotine
content in second hand vapor (LOL..) can be hazardous to National Park Service
employees and patrons.

You can read the memorandum at the following dot gov link.
I assume it's OK to post this url as it isn't to a merchant
but a link to a "quality" United States Government web site.
If my assumption is incorrect I beg ECF moderators to
edit out the URL from this post and ask the members to
look for the information in a search engine.

See:
NPS Policy Memorandum 15-03: Use of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems

Hazy :smokie:

Addendum: note that this memo is not a "law" but a departmental regulation
which effectively outlaws vaping with no need for legislation.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaraC

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
You're probably right to post it in this subforum, but there's a discussion already going in another:

Vaping now banned in national parks. | E-Cigarette Forum

Yup, you're probably right, nicnik. I did post this apparently old news in the correct subforum.
What can I say? I looked around in General Vaping discussions and didn't see it referenced
anywhere so...my bad :) Thanks for pointing it out.

And there's an even bigger discussion going on here...
Do You Vape? Not In U.S. National Parks! | E-Cigarette Forum

Sure is bigger, DC2. I haven't gone through the whole thread, only checked it out
since you pointed me to it. I had already read the article in the OP's (kakaiser56) link
since I also subscribe to the WatchDog Arena but I want my info out of the horse's mouth, if you will.
Since I guess you guys have already read both threads, please let me know
if anybody posted a link to the official memorandum then I'll delete my post so as to not be
redundant. Yes, the watchdog article does have a link to the official memo...but, my bad ;)

Regards to both of you,

Last edited:

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
I also subscribe to the WatchDog Arena but I want my info out of the horse's mouth, if you will.

Me, too. Thanks for the link to Jarvis's official memo, Hazy.

This statement by Jarvis is typical of the amount of thought he seemingly put into his reasons for issuing his memo:

"The Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently analyzed the ingredients in a sample of cartridges from two leading brands of ENDS..." blah blah

Jarvis's "recently analyzed" link goes to an "analysis" done by the FDA way back in May 2009
on a couple of brands of first generation cig-alikes.

Yeah..the year 2009 is considered "recently" in the view of Jonathon B. Jarvis.

That's what blind, closed-minded, uncomprehending copy/pasting can do, Mr. Jarvis.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
Me, too. Thanks for the link to Jarvis's official memo, Hazy.

This statement by Jarvis is typical of the amount of thought he seemingly put into his reasons for issuing his memo:

"The Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently analyzed the ingredients in a sample of cartridges from two leading brands of ENDS..." blah blah

Jarvis's "recently analyzed" link goes to an "analysis" done by the FDA way back in May 2009
on a couple of brands of first generation cig-alikes.

Yeah..the year 2009 is considered "recently" in the view of Jonathon B. Jarvis.

That's what blind, closed-minded, uncomprehending copy/pasting can do, Mr. Jarvis.

You're welcome, Lara. Indeed, there is no thought or reasoning involved in this decision.
There is a reason. Though it is likely that some bozo complained
about somebody vaping at a park some time, the reason is that the pressure is on
to inconvenience vapers and the vaping industry so much that we accept their
legislation for taxation without a fight.

Regards,

Reactions: LaraC and DC2

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
if anybody posted a link to the official memorandum then I'll delete my post so as to not be
redundant. Yes, the watchdog article does have a link to the official memo...but, my bad ;)
I haven't seen any post directly linking to it, just links where it is quoted and/or linked to.

There very well might be people who monitor the Legislative News subforum and not those other two, and this subforum is probably the best fit. I didn't know about that thread DC2 posted, and I don't have the patience to read it all. This thread has links to the other two, so this one is the most thorough, for those who just have to read it all, which I'm trying hard not to be doing.

Regards to you too, Hazy.

Reactions: HazyShades

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
I haven't seen any post directly linking to it, just links where it is quoted and/or linked to.

There very well might be people who monitor the Legislative News subforum and not those other two, and this subforum is probably the best fit. I didn't know about that thread DC2 posted, and I don't have the patience to read it all. This thread has links to the other two, so this one is the most thorough, for those who just have to read it all, which I'm trying hard not to be doing.

Regards to you too, Hazy.
Hi NicNik,
By this point I've read both of the other threads in their entirety.
Yea, I read it all given the time..But I didn't have the time prior to posting my OP
so I did a perfunctory scan of the forum and subforums and must have missed it.
In any case, I'm very careful to post stuff in the appropriate sub-forums
because I've been corrected by the mods in the past...matter of fact my very first post on ECF
got canned by r1 'cause it was in the wrong sub-forum.

Hey as long as our fellow vapers read about it, no matter where, is what counts.
Be good,
Hazy :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread