Natural Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

inicapem

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2009
Earth
i don't know. My smoke of choice is American Spirits in the blue pack, because i like the taste the best. I only smoke about 3-4 cigs a day (alwys feel like i MUST smoke after i eat), but want to stop all together and haven't been able to yet. I only have a greencig at the moment which is not working for me. Sometimes makes me crave analogues even more. Been waiting awhile on my order of M601/602 with higher nic strength juice. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
Once you touch flame to the end of an analog, there's no difference between them.

Really? Even w/o all the chemical additives of the big tobacco manufacturers? (Someone else had even suggested growing their own tobacco for purity of product.) I've upped my nic level of ejuice, but there are too many other properties in the analogues I am still craving, so I'm trying to wean myself off them in the meantime.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
If chemicals are not added, then chemicals are not burning and being inhaled. The natural cigarettes are still bad for you, but common sense says fewer chemicals must be somewhat better. The refusal of anti smoking to admit that smoking fewer cigarettes, smoking lower tar cigarettes, etc. has to be somewhat safer is an example of their hypocrisy. At the same time they condemn lower tar and nicotine cigarettes, the FDA's plan is to lower nicotine. At the same time they quote the numbers of chemicals in cigarette smoke, they add new ones in the fire-safe cigs. They are a dangerous group where health is concerned, for their ONLY agenda is money and forcing people to conform to their views. If there is a safer cigarette that could be developed, we will never see it as long as anti-smoking retains power.

Reactions: VapingTommy

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
A very large part of the harm from cigarettes comes from tar, and that's still going to be there in natural smokes. I used high quality RYO for 12 years before I quit and there is a difference in taste. I had a hard time smoking a standard cigarette as it tasted like a mouth full of chemicals. The question of is there a difference in the harm done?

Perhaps a little bit... maybe, sort-of, there's a possibility. But if there is it's not much better. The major part of the harm is still there. As someone mentioned above you would be much better off trying some Swedish snus to supplement your PV. It's a proven reduced harm tobacco product and very effective. Check out the smokeless tobacco section on the forum and you'll find lots of people to help you out.

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
I'm still trying to make the complete transition from tobacco to just vaping(down to 7 smokes a day). In the meantime I was wondering if these specialty "natural" smokes (i.e. American Spirit, etc.) are really any less dangerous than commercial cigarettes?
I've asked doctors (including one dr. who smokes [!] & thus probably isn't coming from anti-smoking propaganda on this one) about this before. The answer is no.

It's the burn products that harm you the most by far.

The differences between burning one kind of tobacco and another are medically far less significant than the burning itself.

Remember that "natural" is not a regulated term.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
I've asked doctors (including one dr. who smokes [!] & thus probably isn't coming from anti-smoking propaganda on this one) about this before. The answer is no.

It's the burn products that harm you the most by far.

The differences between burning one kind of tobacco and another are medically far less significant than the burning itself.

Remember that "natural" is not a regulated term.

Yet, most people consider cigars less harmful. Since most people don't inhale cigars, then it must be the inhalation more than the burning that makes cigarettes more dangerous.

Vaporista

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa

So essentially you are saying even if you organically grow your own tobacco and roll it yourself, it's still as bad for you as going to the store and buying Marlboros?

It's like this. The combustion changes the properties of what you will consume. A good analogy would be that eating boiled chicken is safer than eating charred BBQ chicken which they say has more carcinogens.
But the real litmus test is in knowing if that chicken meat was free range with no added growth hormones and antibiotics -if it was then the BBQ burning/blackening of it will not change the carcinogenic end result but if the same chicken was battery farmed and raised on a diet of toxic by proucts and pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormones whether you boil it or burn it on the BBQ you're double F*&^%d.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
For all practical purposes, yes. Smoke is smoke, and none of it is good. Cigars and pipes are not as bad because you don't inhale, but still not the ideal. Inhaling any kind of smoke into the lungs is not a good thing.

Better to grind it up and make nasal snuff or snus. Just eliminating the smoke will vastly decrease the harmful effects of tobacco.

Mordred

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
For all practical purposes, yes. Smoke is smoke, and none of it is good. Cigars and pipes are not as bad because you don't inhale, but still not the ideal. Inhaling any kind of smoke into the lungs is not a good thing.

Yup, this seems to be the medical concensus. You could smoke dried broccoli and still have about 95% of the risks of smoking cigarettes.

That said, tobacco companies are not lying, those additive free cigs ARE safer, it's just that they're only like 1% safer, so they're misleading customers into thinking the health benefits are much greater than they really are.

Other alternatives, such as snus are proven to be 98% safer than cigarettes, and, while there is no solid evidence yet, I suspect that e-cigs would come close to that figure too.

One thing to consider: In the poorest regions of the world, people with no access to electricity or gas use wood/dried dung to cook their meals, heat their water and, to an extent, their huts. This created indoor smoke, which in turn is thought to be amongst the chief reasons for these people's low life expectancy.

Bottom line : smoke is bad for you, avoid it if you can.

Edit: That said, don't obsess about it either. sitting at a campfire won't kill you, nor will second-hand smoke.

Giantfan

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
I kind of became a tobacco expert in my quest to find a safer way to smoke tobacco, and my research tells me that unfortunately, natural tobacco is as bad or worse than regular cigarettes.

You are actually getting more tar when you smoke natural tobacco, like American Spirits.

Lower TSNA's don't appear to have much of an effect either unfortunately.

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
he "Natural American Spirit" cigarette, marketed here as "100% Chemical Additive-Free Tobacco." American Spirit cigarettes contain 36 percent free-base nicotine, compared with 9.6 percent in a Marlboro, 2.7 percent in a Camel, and 6.2 percent in a Winston.

heres the entire article site whatever 2. Smoking smarter?

Thanks for the articles. Interesting.

I always wonder at my friend who rolls his own American Spirit in "natural" papers without a filter, and thinks he's communing with [bleeping] nature or something.
I mean, I think people should do what makes them happy if they'll bear the consequences and all ... but denial is a powerful thing.

Reactions: VapingTommy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread