Navy Nest vs. Standard (EHPRO Kayfun Lite V2 Plus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I tried a lot of coils, dual, single, sub-ohm, 1.3 Ohms etc. in the last few weeks using 28ga and 2mm, 2.4mm and 1.5mm coil diameter.

Ironically, the best result with my Kayfun Lite V2 is with a standard micro (?) coil, about 8ish wraps at 1.3 Ohms AND a "normal" but picture perfect wick, using organic cotton.

(When I say "normal" wicking method I mean using the recommended 45 deg. "Z" shape of my coil/wick, with this little offset to the side, then on top and on bottom of the "Z" the wick is going down straight to the deck, barely touching the deck (on the side of the channels). The channels are mostly free with the wick at the side or only a very tiny part of the wick reaching into the channels.

Today I tried a Navy nest on the same coil but I am not impressed respective I don't see a difference. (Whether the flavor is muted with the Navy Nest I can't 100% say. It's POSSIBLE when I assume that with the Navy nest the channels are more covered while with the normal "Z" wick the channels were more open.

I am speculating (and claiming here) that a "fancy" wick like the Navy nest would only show an advantage when you're sub-ohming, but for normal single coils 1.3++Ohms that a normal "Z" wick is entirely suitable, if not better. (I probably couldn't tell a difference right now, maybe the difference I think to see right now is placebo....or simply "fresh" wick vs. old one)

Edit: I am aware that a generalization of "what wicking method is best" is nonsense. I did a normal wick again after the Nest and I *think* the flavor w/ the normal wick is better, but then I also always have to be more careful there w/ dry hits. (A tiny difference in wicking etc. can make all the difference). The "best" wick IMHO really depends on the device, the depth of the juice channels etc. I can see that with my EHPRO and tiny juice channels, having the channels all the way clear may have a benefit for better juice flow, therefore better flavor. With a device like The Russian 91 which has deeper juice channels it might look totally different again, there it might not matter if strands are wrapped above the channels since the channels can supply more juice out of the box anyway. Just my $0.01. It's always a trial & error thing to find what works best.

Last edited:

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Currently I am using a "non-45 deg offset" coil and wick, wick just straight down front and back and it works great. (Actually the best wick I made so far). I also used a little bit more cotton than what I usually do. With the Navy nest, I think there was some subtle difference which I can only describe as "drier and cotton-y", if that makes sense.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
here's how I wick my Kyfuns.. Using cotton balls. I use 3/32 and 7/64 core size. Unroll ball, tear-off a piece about 2-3" long and 1/4" or so in diameter, lightly roll into a loose cylinder, pinch thinest end, insert in coil, if too tight, back out tear a layer off, re-roll and pinch and insert, even up the wick in the coil and install chimney base, cut wick approx 10mm above edge.. Then with smallest screwdrivew I have, push ends down into well, being sure to COVER the wick holes. install top cap and tank fill, blow excess out the air hole, and vape away. No breakin flavor, no leaks, just good flavor.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I re-wicked one like that now, basically feed the wick through the chimney DRY, then cut off approx. 10mm above and used a screwdriver to stuff the wick down on the sides..and then primed the wick. Awesome so far, no dry-hit.

I also took a closer look at my tiny juice channels today, I THINK having noted some nicks/grates in the metal...and the channels are so tiny it's easy that cotton pieces or just whatever crud etc. could clog them. So I took a brush and went with it over the base and the channels. I think it might have helped too. So far so good.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I re-wicked one like that now, basically feed the wick through the chimney DRY, then cut off approx. 10mm above and used a screwdriver to stuff the wick down on the sides..and then primed the wick. Awesome so far, no dry-hit.

I also took a closer look at my tiny juice channels today, I THINK having noted some nicks/grates in the metal...and the channels are so tiny it's easy that cotton pieces or just whatever crud etc. could clog them. So I took a brush and went with it over the base and the channels. I think it might have helped too. So far so good.

Yeah, about those juice channels.... Every video or write-up I have seen tells you to keep those channel clear of the wick. I find the Opposite works better. I wick with the GOAL of covering, almost but not quite plugging those holes with the cotton. Heck when I use silica, I make sure a few strand run down the channel into the tank. Now I have opened up my grooves a bit, really just cleaned up the machining, deburred them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread