Need a little tank help/suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustin25ship

Verified Member
Jun 8, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've been vaping for about four months now. Started on cartomizers but hated that I could never see how much juice I had in there so I switched over to clearos/tanks (whatever they're called, not entirely sure). So far, I've bought;

Kanger Protank
Kanger EVOD bcc
Vivi Nova
iClear 30
iClear 16

Each of them seems to have their pros and cons. Basically my question is, is there anything I'm missing? Is there another tank out there that I just haven't heard of yet that's really good? I'm probably going to buy a Protank II and try that out, but is there anything else? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lombaowski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
DC via the 313
I find these SMOK LOCKING DCT tanks to be exceptional for the price point. I have a Phiniac custom tank that I really like as well, but for about $11 with a carto these Artemas tanks are awesome. Just get a carto tool for refill and these things are easy, peasy, Japanesey. 6ml of juice, dependable and pretty indestructible.

Last edited:

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
dustin25ship said:
Basically my question is, is there anything I'm missing? Is there another tank out there that I just haven't heard of yet that's really good? I'm probably going to buy a Protank II and try that out, but is there anything else?
Yeah, you missed the next step after the cartomizer: the cartoTANK. :laugh: Myself and many others have found that cartotanks produce better flavor than a clearomizer. They take a few more minutes to set up, but once they are they are maintanance free. Just a little more of a learning curve than a clearomizer.

You apparently gave up on cartomizers because you couldn't see your juice level. With a cartotank, you can see the level of your juice, and have a larger capacity of juice too.

A cartomizer can be placed into a tank to allow longer periods of vaping than when used alone. Juice levels can be easily monitored in the tank. Holes are required to allow juice from the tank to enter the cartomizer.

laser-drilled.jpg tool-punched carto.jpg

The first pic above is of a laser-drilled "pre-punched" cartomizer. Note the small hole near the bottom of the cylinder. These cartomizers with holes are ready to be filled and inserted inside of a cartotank. The second pic shows a carto that was tool-punched by hand.

Un-punched cartomizers can be used in tanks, but require the user to make their own holes. A carto punch tool can accomplish this. Use only the silver stainless steel cartos for tanks, not the black ones. I recommend for beginners to purchase the pre-punched cartos initially. One or two holes is adequate for all but the most thick e-liquids.

tank lengths.jpg

Basically, both cartomizers and tanks are available in two lengths, standard and XL. The length of the carto must be the same length of the tank. Carto manufacturers name their different length cartos differently as the above image shows.

Is it a carto, a tank, or what?

Tank Help for a Noob

Cartotank Setup Guide

IBTanked Cartotank Review (and how to choose a cartotank)

Something Safe for Cinnamon & Citrus Flavors

IBTanked-large-small.jpg IBTanked-on-Spinner.jpg

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
One more question, so with the carto-tank, the only thing that would need to be replaced periodically is the carto inside the tank? When I was using just cartomizers, I had to replace them about once a week with a new one. Is it the same principle within the tank system?

Yes and you'll generally find your carto lasts much longer when used in a tank because it never runs dry which is a carto killer. Great links from Bad :thumbs:

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
One more question, so with the carto-tank, the only thing that would need to be replaced periodically is the carto inside the tank? When I was using just cartomizers, I had to replace them about once a week with a new one. Is it the same principle within the tank system?

Yes, more or less however you will probably find they last longer. Because it's always saturated from juice in the tank and never runs dry you manage avoid vaping them dry and burning them.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Awesome. So are these cartotank systems generally more well liked in the community than the things I've been using? (Protank, Vivi Nova, etc)

Clearos are generally more liked because they're more convenient and economical. I find cartos give a more robust and flavorful vape but it's all up to the individual.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
How about another BCC option or two?

The SmokTech Aro is a nice glass tank similar in construction to the Evod, with a metal sleeve around the glass. They don't take Protank/Evod coils, but these work like a champ and look good doing it. Like the Evod, the drip tip is part of the tank and doesn't come off.

Another option is the Kamry X10. This thing is a BEAST with a 4ml capacity. It takes the Evod heads, but it isn't supposed to be compatible with the longer stem Protank heads being sold by Kanger. However, I'm using one of those in mine right now, so there's that. The drip tip is removable.

dustin25ship

Verified Member
Jun 8, 2013
Pennsylvania
How about another BCC option or two?

The SmokTech Aro is a nice glass tank similar in construction to the Evod, with a metal sleeve around the glass. They don't take Protank/Evod coils, but these work like a champ and look good doing it. Like the Evod, the drip tip is part of the tank and doesn't come off.

Another option is the Kamry X10. This thing is a BEAST with a 4ml capacity. It takes the Evod heads, but it isn't supposed to be compatible with the longer stem Protank heads being sold by Kanger. However, I'm using one of those in mine right now, so there's that. The drip tip is removable.

Thanks for the reply. I do like the look of the Aro. Very similar to the EVOD bcc. I also like the Kamry X10. It has a pretty cool look to it. I may have to give that one a shot since I already have a stockpile of the EVOD heads, and if they work in that it just makes sense.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Awesome. So are these cartotank systems generally more well liked in the community than the things I've been using? (Protank, Vivi Nova, etc)

:laugh: That's a loaded question. The answer to that is going to depend upon who you ask, and what success they have had with a variety of juice attachments. I think its a safe bet to say anyone who uses cartotanks, or a variety of different juice attachments, they'll say they favor cartotanks if flavor is the priority. Clearos have the reputation of muting flavors.

I haven't really had any issue with ANY juice attachment that I've tried in the last few months. (We won't get into my love/hate relationship with my RBAs)

Besides my cartotanks, I've tried the Vivi Nova, Protank 1 & 2, Evod, and iClear 16 & 30. (I helped my daughter audition these when choosing her first mod setup.) With any of the clearos I would occassionally get a dry hit (no vapor). I would turn up my voltage and do a couple of 3 - 4 second pulse fires (dry burns?) and that would fix the problem. I'm guessing the coils were gunked up.

Out of the clearos I tried I liked the Vivi Nova the least and liked the Protanks and iClear 30 the most. None of them provide the flavor I'm used to with my cartotanks, but the iClear 30 comes close. I suspect it has something to do with its 16 wicks. I've always wondered how just a few string wicks (like most clearos use) could produce the same flavor as a big wad of polyfill totally surrounding the heating coil like a cartomizer can.

I mean, look at the wicks in the iClear 30. 8 wicks for each of the 2 coil heads.

Last edited:

Big Mac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
Howdy Dustin, I just gotta give ya my 2 cents as well.

I started with vivi nova minis, I still use them as well as a couple of large vivi novas. Moved to RBAs and have played with RDAs. When I tried carto tanks (on and off, in between the list of what I've used), I always had problems with gurgles, leaks, burnt taste, ect. I never used cartos by themselves. Use these on my lavatube, zmax, and a few different mechs, home built mods, groove, gripper, twists, ect.

One night I was having problems sleeping, and got into a conversation with another who wasn't able to sleep that night. We talked about a number of things, but he was a carto tank guy that had answered a couple of questions for me in the forums. We talked a bit about carto tanks, and between that conversation, forum posts and his blog posts, I was told what I was doing wrong, how to correct it and now carto tanks are my main nic delivery device. I don't have expensive tanks, a few from IBTanked, an Artemis or two, a couple of boge F-16s, a few other unidentified tanks (just don't remember where thy came from) nothing special. I have some boge cartos, some smoke tech as well, and have tried others, I buy them prepunched. If you keep your eye open you can get them at very good prices, especially if you are willing to buy a batch of 50 or more.

I can and will only speak for myself, cartos tanks are the way to go. Easy to use, great flavor, no hassles, not time consuming. My vivis have their place....I rebuild the coils myself, the small ones I use the same type wick they come with, use these to test new juice, easy to clean, don't have to replace heads all the time and good for testing. The large ones I use cotton to rebuild, and use occasionally, especially with my daughter bogarting my juice. When I find the right taste to juice I'm trying to DIY or purchase, then it goes into a carto tank.

Good luck, do whatever pleases you, do what is best for you. Read the links that have been provided in this thread.

Oh yeah, that guy who couldn't sleep.......it was Baditude. Thanks once again my brother. For me, you made vaping what it should be...easy, enjoyable, with a repeatable experience.

Big Mac

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Cartotanks are great flavor producers, but they have a bit steeper learning curve. Once you figure out how to prime the cartridge and get it going right, they're pretty nice performers.

The good ones are, that is. The knockoff junk being sold on [that site which shall not be mentioned outside of the FastTech thread] are nothing but a headache in a 4ml tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread