The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Need a new mod - Gripper or Vamo

Discussion in 'Canada Forum' started by larktdl, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. larktdl

larktdl Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 7, 2009
    Strathmore, AB
    I need a new mod (yesterday in fact). Geez, always mid week when things fall apart / blow up.

Anyways, I am leaning towards the Smoktech Gripper, VV Vamo or the eLite VV.

What are your thoughts / suggestions about these devices, they all seem good.

BTW, if I could get it Friday that would be sweet ... Unlikely I know.

2. Projectguy

Projectguy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Oakville, ON
    Tom there is a very effective "Wanted" section in the Classifieds section. Just get yourself verified and have at it.

3. charliecrc1

charliecrc1 Full Member Verified Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Calgary,Alberta
    The gripper was tempting for me but after watching some reviews, I would probably destroy it.
    If you are not like me than I think it might be awesome. I like he box style though.

4. rayboy55

rayboy55 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 11, 2012
    Quebec Canada
    I would go with the vamo from canvapes with wattage it is very close to the Zmax and for $50 can't go wrong....the gripper is so fragile it's unreal !!!

5. larktdl

Oct 7, 2009
    Strathmore, AB
    After some hesitation, I pulled the trigger to purchase the Vamo. I watched the review on the device by some british guy in the UK === I agree with his very good point of "what do you expect for $50". I just don't have the money to shell out for a Provari or even the Zmax for that matter. Should have the new vapeware next week.

From Canvape.com

The Vamo
    Trust Fire charger
    (4) Efest 18350 batts
    (2) Efest 18650 batts

All for under $120.00
    I guess I should be setup nicely for the next 6 months?

In the interim, I have to use the old faithfuls - (1) Joye ego 650 C mod upgrade & (1) Joye ego 1000

BTW, I was thinking of getting the gear from Jugheads ... (the gripper) but I couldn't go for it because NO BATTS for the device?

Thanks to everyone that posted comments ...

6. bwbroo

bwbroo Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2012
    Roseburg, Oregon
    All roads lead to wattage for me, that is my next step. Check to see what version it is. v1 had problems-fixed on v2. You'll find on this site. Type in search vamo. I ordered one and canceled it, til I know what version it is.

7. larktdl

Oct 7, 2009
    Strathmore, AB
    On Canvape web listing for the device, it is version 2.

8. KillFace

KillFace Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Toronto, On.
    Is there any benefits differences to the multiple battery set ups? Can the Vamo reach full power on just an 18650?

9. larktdl

Oct 7, 2009
    Strathmore, AB
    I think the difference is ,,, if you use (2) 3 volt batteries (stacked) the available voltage is 6 volts ...
    More volts = more watts in comparison to using one battery.

Of course, I am just guessing about this.

10. larktdl

Oct 7, 2009
    Strathmore, AB
    Order shipped, should have the gear on Wednesday (which is good because that is the wife's night out :)

11. KillFace

Jan 24, 2012
    Toronto, On.
    I know that's always the case in non-VV/VW mods, but my Provari, for example, uses just one 18650 and gets up to 6V and 14.5W.

I'm wondering what the amp limit is on these things. Seems like a good 2nd step device for some friends of mine.

12. doots

doots Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 22, 2009
    I think you made a wise decision. The mod looks really nice and priced reasonably/

13. bsidb

bsidb Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 10, 2012
    Leroy,NY
    I also think you made a wise decision, I traded away my gripper, it was not accurate,kinda cheesily built, im waiting on a vamo from a co-op as I type, I saw that same review..

14. larktdl

Oct 7, 2009
    Strathmore, AB
    I think the limit is 4 amps.

Hmmm, now I am confused about using 2 batteries. Guess we need Mindfield to explain this ....

15. tygertyger

tygertyger Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just heard tonight about a possible safety issue with the vamo..... searched and found this.... take it for what it's worth, but figured I'd share it so at least you can see and make your own decision....
    Safety issue with Vamo Mod

16. trepalium

trepalium I'm a Panda Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN

This was brought up in a vamo coop recently. Some liquid electrical tape on the metal around the contact and your good to go. I know they are shipping ours with some paper washer of sorts. I think I'm probably going to do the aforementioned anyhow. It's really not a huge issue, and can be remedied easily.

17. larktdl

Oct 7, 2009
    Strathmore, AB
    Yip the Vamo version 1 has a problem which was quickly fixed by the manufacturer. Version 2 is already out and is the version sold by Canvape. Thanks for the info folks.

18. KillFace

Jan 24, 2012
    Toronto, On.
    So the V2 doesn't have this potential shorting problem?

19. larktdl

Oct 7, 2009
    Strathmore, AB
    I am confident that V2 corrects the short issue in V1 ,,, however might be better to get the info from the vendor.

20. shades

shades Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 3, 2009
    Perth, Ontario
    IF the design was done right, the difference between the two batteries should not make a difference, other than battery life :) although some mods in the past needed the 2 batteries to provide you with the full range of settings.

I can't remember which ones, I seem to be recalling the evo? might have been one.

The reason for this is the type of circuit, or better yet the type of chip they used to give you the VV.

With a stacked battery configuration being the deciding factor, one would assume they are using a buck converter, which takes the high voltage and drops it down. So if 2 batteries were needed, and the max voltage was 6V's they internally with some electronic bits and pieces they chopped the voltage to 6 V , as stacked batteries would be 7-8 off the charger.

Then as you decreased your voltage with the buck you get lower voltages, and high voltages meant they are just now lowering as much any more.

In the case of something like the Provari or zmax that uses either a single battery or dual battery and can provide you with the same range ( on paper ) then it is probably a buck/Boost ( more voltage than the battery is ) regulator that can do either depending on the voltage available.

The difference is the drain on the battery.

So it isn't the voltage from the battery that determines the wattage but the regulator ( buck/boost ) which will increase or decrease the available voltage based on your settings and of course the resistance that provides the current.

Might be hard to believe but I tried to keep that short and sweet lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.