• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Need a new mod - Gripper or Vamo

Status
Not open for further replies.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
I need a new mod (yesterday in fact). Geez, always mid week when things fall apart / blow up.

Anyways, I am leaning towards the Smoktech Gripper, VV Vamo or the eLite VV.

What are your thoughts / suggestions about these devices, they all seem good.

BTW, if I could get it Friday that would be sweet ... Unlikely I know.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
After some hesitation, I pulled the trigger to purchase the Vamo. I watched the review on the device by some british guy in the UK === I agree with his very good point of "what do you expect for $50". I just don't have the money to shell out for a Provari or even the Zmax for that matter. Should have the new vapeware next week.

From Canvape.com

The Vamo
Trust Fire charger
(4) Efest 18350 batts
(2) Efest 18650 batts

All for under $120.00
I guess I should be setup nicely for the next 6 months?

In the interim, I have to use the old faithfuls - (1) Joye ego 650 C mod upgrade & (1) Joye ego 1000

BTW, I was thinking of getting the gear from Jugheads ... (the gripper) but I couldn't go for it because NO BATTS for the device?

Thanks to everyone that posted comments ...

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
All roads lead to wattage for me, that is my next step. Check to see what version it is. v1 had problems-fixed on v2. You'll find on this site. Type in search vamo. I ordered one and canceled it, til I know what version it is.

On Canvape web listing for the device, it is version 2.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
Is there any benefits differences to the multiple battery set ups? Can the Vamo reach full power on just an 18650?

I think the difference is ,,, if you use (2) 3 volt batteries (stacked) the available voltage is 6 volts ...
More volts = more watts in comparison to using one battery.

Of course, I am just guessing about this.

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
I think the difference is ,,, if you use (2) 3 volt batteries (stacked) the available voltage is 6 volts ...
More volts = more watts in comparison to using one battery.

Of course, I am just guessing about this.

I know that's always the case in non-VV/VW mods, but my Provari, for example, uses just one 18650 and gets up to 6V and 14.5W.

I'm wondering what the amp limit is on these things. Seems like a good 2nd step device for some friends of mine.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
After some hesitation, I pulled the trigger to purchase the Vamo. I watched the review on the device by some british guy in the UK === I agree with his very good point of "what do you expect for $50". I just don't have the money to shell out for a Provari or even the Zmax for that matter. Should have the new vapeware next week.

From Canvape.com

The Vamo
Trust Fire charger
(4) Efest 18350 batts
(2) Efest 18650 batts

All for under $120.00
I guess I should be setup nicely for the next 6 months?

In the interim, I have to use the old faithfuls - (1) Joye ego 650 C mod upgrade & (1) Joye ego 1000

BTW, I was thinking of getting the gear from Jugheads ... (the gripper) but I couldn't go for it because NO BATTS for the device?

Thanks to everyone that posted comments ...

I think you made a wise decision. The mod looks really nice and priced reasonably/

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
I know that's always the case in non-VV/VW mods, but my Provari, for example, uses just one 18650 and gets up to 6V and 14.5W.

I'm wondering what the amp limit is on these things. Seems like a good 2nd step device for some friends of mine.

I think the limit is 4 amps.

Hmmm, now I am confused about using 2 batteries. Guess we need Mindfield to explain this ....

trepalium

I'm a Panda
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
hoosiervapers.com
Just heard tonight about a possible safety issue with the vamo..... searched and found this.... take it for what it's worth, but figured I'd share it so at least you can see and make your own decision....
Safety issue with Vamo Mod

This was brought up in a vamo coop recently. Some liquid electrical tape on the metal around the contact and your good to go. I know they are shipping ours with some paper washer of sorts. I think I'm probably going to do the aforementioned anyhow. It's really not a huge issue, and can be remedied easily.

shades

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
Perth, Ontario
IF the design was done right, the difference between the two batteries should not make a difference, other than battery life :) although some mods in the past needed the 2 batteries to provide you with the full range of settings.

I can't remember which ones, I seem to be recalling the evo? might have been one.

The reason for this is the type of circuit, or better yet the type of chip they used to give you the VV.

With a stacked battery configuration being the deciding factor, one would assume they are using a buck converter, which takes the high voltage and drops it down. So if 2 batteries were needed, and the max voltage was 6V's they internally with some electronic bits and pieces they chopped the voltage to 6 V , as stacked batteries would be 7-8 off the charger.

Then as you decreased your voltage with the buck you get lower voltages, and high voltages meant they are just now lowering as much any more.

In the case of something like the Provari or zmax that uses either a single battery or dual battery and can provide you with the same range ( on paper ) then it is probably a buck/Boost ( more voltage than the battery is ) regulator that can do either depending on the voltage available.

The difference is the drain on the battery.

So it isn't the voltage from the battery that determines the wattage but the regulator ( buck/boost ) which will increase or decrease the available voltage based on your settings and of course the resistance that provides the current.

Might be hard to believe but I tried to keep that short and sweet lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread