The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

need advice - driper tank for noob

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by miroko, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. miroko

miroko Senior Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Hey all.

So, in a week my istick will arrive and I was thinking in trying the drip scene.

Right now I have a e-vic rocking a nautilus mini (love this tank), decided to bought the I stick because I'm afraid the e-vic will fail on me, so I decided on a box mod, and the istick is awesome for my needs,( very small with 20w max, don't need more) and I was going to buy a 2nd nautilus.

After reeding many threads here on ECF I was like......instead of nautilus I could buy a drip tank and try the drip tanks.

And here I am, asking you guys that know about that stuff to advise me in a good dripping tank.

I don't want to cloud chasing, I'm more interested in flavor, I have 2 in mind, wich is the fogger and the big driper . But if you know other tanks that don't leak and with good airflow best suited for a noob feel free to say.

I already have kantal a1 28g , Kho Gen Do cotton, a ohm reader and a torch. ( gonna start rebuilding the nautilus bvc coil).

Sooo, can anyone help a fellow vaper tacking his first spteps in the driper world?

Thanks in advanced

2. p7willm

p7willm Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 11, 2014
    Lansdale, PA, USA
    The Fogger is a tank, similar in design to the kayfun. The big dripper is over $100, unless you are talking about a clone.

For a first dripper I would get something simple, like a TOBH.

The Pontus is an original design by EHpro and costs about $40 and has a tank, kind of like the big dripper except it is glass.

3. eyerhere

eyerhere Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 7, 2013
    Warren Mi
    There is no tank on a dripper, hence the name. You drip juice directly onto the coils. At twenty watts you will not get the results that others get using higher watt devices. Look into a kayfun or fogger or squape reloaded. They will suite your mod better IMO.

4. Soignee

Soignee Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2014
    Austin>SWFL
    Dirppers and Tanks are different animals.

Looking for a Dripper as a starter for flavor, Magma's are super easy to build on, great flavor.
    As stated above the TOBH is a great starter as well. Super easy to build on, great flavor.

I give the nod to the Magma though.

5. NealBJr

NealBJr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Ok.. there's some confusion here. First, let me educate you on the terminology.

1)Dripper... used to make a coil, and the person drips the Ejuice onto the wick and coils.. when the coils start to run dry, you drip more on. They are usually very basic in design
    2)Tank... Usually has a tank that holds a few ML of juice. Usually the wick draws the juice from the tank to wet the coils.
    2a) Clearomizer.. usually a small tank with prebuilt wicks. sometimes these wicks are replaceable.
    2b) Cartotank.. A tank wraped around a cartrige atomizer that has a hole punched in it to re-wet the filler
    2c) RBA... Rebuildable Atomizer.. where you rebuild the coil and supply the wick yourself.

Now, there is a "hybrid" type, that is probably what you call a driping tank. That is like a dripper, but instead of manually dripping the juice in, you usually push something that will drip juice from the tank into the coil. The big dripper is one of the few types. The other is called the 3d.. where it soaks the coil by pressing the button. Yet another type is called a squonker, where the ejuice bottle is below the atomizer, but when you squeeze the bottle, it pushes juice up to the coils. The REO is the only one I know that uses the "squonking" technique.

The Fogger is a RBA tank... there is no dripping involved. It is a good tank, and is a dual coil design. However, it will leak if not built properly, or when the tank starts to get low.

If you're starting to learn how to build, I would recommend a Kayfun or Kayfun lite. I always recommend a single coil to begin with. I cannot attest to the big dripper, but the design looks promising. I wouldn't recommend the fogger, since trying to wrap two coils around two posts can be very frustrating. One atomizer I also recommend, is the squape V2. Even though it's not as popular, it is by far the easiest to build IMO.

6. WharfRat1976

WharfRat1976 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    RDA- Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer

7. miroko

miroko Senior Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Thanks guys, I guess I was a little confused. Lol

About the kayfuns, I've reed that they are very similar to nautilus mini (taste wise), that's why I was going for a driper, lots of people saying dripers are awesome for flavor.

I guess I will go with the big driper ( clone) I have a store near me that has the big driper for 25 € (stock off), and looks like it's not so hard to rebuild. ( judjing from YT vids).

A big thanks to all

8. miroko

miroko Senior Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Lisbon, Portugal
    OK guys, just droped here to share what happened 10 mins ago.

In this store near me, yesterday I told the guy if he could reserve the big driper until today ( was waiting for some replies here) they had the last one for 25€ (stock off), and he said "sure" and remove it from the display and put my name on it.

Today I walk to the store and the guy said to me " oh, sorry, yesterday, when we were about to close someone come in and I sold it, really sorry, I forgot you reserve it".

I was like "realllllllly" I saw the guy take it from the display and attached a sticker with my name on it......how in the hell he "forgot"????????

I was pissed, but came home and searched a site in Spain with lots of gear.
    And all I can say is, best thing that happened to me, very glad the guy in the store sold the big driper ( will never buy anything in that store again).

Found the big driper for 15 € and a magma for 12€.

All in all will get 2 recommended dripers for the price of 1. ( if I bought in that store).

So, nice way to start my Friday (a bad morning turns out to became a beautiful day)

9. rusirius

rusirius Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 8, 2014
    DE
    Nice to hear! You won't be disappointed! Both excellent drippers... You'll find the magma easier to build. The BD is a little bit of a pain in comparison because of depth of the juice well versus the posts. Regardless if you're like me you'll find the BD quickly becomes your go to! I use it more than any other atty I own! It's just that good... The Pontus was my first RDTA, but I definitely like the BD more.

Just to clarify slightly on what's already been said...

RDA - Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer
    RTA - Rebuildable Tank Atomizer
    RDTA - Rebuildable Dripping Tank Atmoizer

Most of the RTAs are based on the kayfun... Considering where you're coming from the first thing you're going to have to adjust to is the massive airflow (i.e. extremely loose draw) that you're going to get out of these... You can crank the airflow down, but keep it loose.. You'll eventually get used to it and never want a tight draw again! The fogger is good, but as pointed out, is a little more difficult to build than a kayfun. The orchid is the closes I've ever found to a dripper in a tank... It's a tank don't be mistaken, very much like the fogger in terms of build... However the flavor from it definitely comes very close to a lot of drippers....

The RDAs are like the magma... No tank, sometimes a juice well which can hold a little excess juice to keep feeding the wick(s) for a short time...

And of course the RDTAs which are essentially a dripper base with a tank mounted above.

The REO's I don't know that I really classify as an RDTA... More in a class of it's own generally refered to as a "bottom feeder".

10. miroko

miroko Senior Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Thanks again for all the enlighten, like I said I'm still a noob regarding vaping.

At first I didn't like much the dripers because the people I know use them for cloud chasing, and I'm more for flavor. That's why I started with nautilus and the bvc coils ( a friend told me that's the best tank flavor wise) at first I found it great, great flavor and the first coil last for almost 1 month. I thought even if I need 2 coils a month its 5€ , not a big deal.......and I was so wrong, lol. If all the coils worked it would turn exactly like that, but the problem is , for every 5 pack, only one or two works right. And 14 € month only for coils ( or more ) it's a big deal. It's the equivalent to buy 500ml of diy base at 6mg nic and 1 bottle of flavor (10 ml).

That why I made the jump and started making my own coils.

11. rusirius

rusirius Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 8, 2014
    DE
    Absolutely.... it doesn't get much cheaper than kanthal and cotton or rayon! But the best part isn't even the price.... It's exactly what you've obvserved... 1 or 2 out of 5 is because someone sitting at a table who doesn't really care about your vape is making those heads.... On the other hand, when you make your own you KNOW it'll be right... At least once you find out what "right" is... :) Each and every coil you make will pass the highest quality assurance on the planet... your own!

12. miroko

miroko Senior Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Sorry for resurecting this thread but just to give a heads up to the folks that helped me.

Magma and big driper come yesterday, but not the iStick, so I made a 2.1 ohm single coil on the big driper ( to get the full 11W from e-vic) and I couldn't be more happy.

HO MAN !!!!!!!!!! The flavor......this gad damn flavor.....almost all my juices taste different, lol, my only grip now is thinking why did I bought my nautilus and why I stick with it for so many time.....time wasted IMO. I guess the magma will sit for some time in the box until I get bored with the bog driper.

My nautilus have a full tank on it, and I look at him and think "naa, you suck,sorry" lol.
    I know that for most of you guys this is old news, but for me was night and day.

Ho, other thing that makes me really happy, no more money wasted on coils.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.