Need advice on coils for my new Smok Nord

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElOgre

Mar 18, 2019
Hello All,

I recently got a Smok Nord and was using it regularly today with a brand new mesh coil with 0.6 ohm. I started vaping in the afternoon and now in the evening sometimes when I take a big hit or take a hot for a few seconds I get a burnt taste sometimes. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I usually wait about 3-5 seconds before I take another hit. I don't know what's going on. Sometimes I get a burnt taste, other times I don't. I vape laying down on my bed sometimes. That's when I started to notice a burnt taste sometimes. Can anyone offer any advice? I didn't let the tank run empty and refilled the tank all the way before vaping this evening.

Reactions: stols001

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Some devices (coils) don't do well with that much VG (doesn't "wick" as easily) Sounds like you either need thinner juice (less VG) or choose different coil. I generally use juice with 65-70% VG. Be patient... lots of advice coming your way (many people here don't really like Smok products, but even those seem to like the Nord)

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
Thanks for that info! I just added some ejuice that is 60/40. So does less VG mean that the wick will rehydrate faster?

Normally yes, because it's thinner. Test your coils by sucking on em without firing. If you suck hard enough you should flood the coil. If it doesn't flood there's a problem. It means the juice isn't getting through the cotton. Badly made coils can do this. Some coils e.g. Nautilus coils use very little cotton but it is densely packed.

The inattentive factory worker can easily make a hash of them and ya can suck on em with the airflow closed until your eyes are bulging out of your head, but they ain't gonna wick for ..... At that point they either go in the bin or your eyes will end up across the room.

So test by dry puffing, gently at first, and gauge how well they wick with the juice in use.

• Useful

ElOgre

Mar 18, 2019
When I put the 60/40 juice I sucked on the mouth piece several times until I could taste the new juice, in fact a little of the ejuice got on my tongue. I tested it a few times and can't really taste the burnt taste. Should I start using 60/40 juice only in my Nord? Cuz I kinda prefer the throat hit with that ratio tbh. Thanks for the info!!

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
If it's wicking fine and you prefer it then go for it. You might find the higher vg will work taking dry puffs between live puffs.

If you flood the coil completely just take the drip tip off, turn the mod upside down and flick it until the excess juice goes flying into the carpet. Don't do this when the wife is looking.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
Hello All, I recently got a Smok Nord and was using it regularly today with a brand new mesh coil with 0.6 ohm. I started vaping in the afternoon and now in the evening ... get a burnt taste ... Can anyone offer any advice?
Unfortunately there's nothing we can do except to try 3rd Party After Market coils of which I just ordered a bunch, OR, abandon Smok/tech all together. Please DO NOT vape with a Burnt or Dry or FlavorLESS taste!! It's unpleasant, bad for your lungs, and the taste will NOT improve.

Might be able to offer some credibility around this coz I just recently bought TWENTY NEW Smok Nord coils in the past couple of weeks from various authorized dealers. All are 1.4 Ohm / 15 Regular coils / 5 Ceramic. Additionally have a couple 0.6 sub Ohm MESH lying around but ain't tried 'em yet. eLiquid is 70-PG/30-VG, or 50/50 Nic Salts.

IMO Smok Nord coils are seriously theee worst in the industry. I'm royally ticked off that every 2nd Smok Nord coil is DEFECTIVE or GOES BAD after just a COUPLE of DAYS of use. Many have the same complaint. EACH coil is supposed to last AT LEAST one week, and with a nominal amount of vaping around 1.5 weeks. Ceramic is more airy and worse than Regular.

Smoktech should NOT be doing this to customers who TRUST them and buy their products. You get a 5-pack of coils for $10 to $15 but in reality you get ONLY two good coils. Smok should know better and should be ashamed of this disservice, inconvenience, and waste of money.

PS >>> if you're a Pod or AIO user, and also ticked off by the low QC of Smok Nord COILS, please email Smoktech Customer Support!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ElOgre

ElOgre

Mar 18, 2019
Unfortunately there's nothing we can do except to try 3rd Party After Market coils of which I just ordered a bunch, OR, abandon Smok/tech all together. Please DO NOT vape with a Burnt or Dry or FlavorLESS taste!! Not only is it an unpleasant experience, it's not great for your health, and the taste will NOT improve.

Might be able to offer some credibility around this coz I just recently bought TWENTY NEW Smok Nord coils in the past couple of weeks from various authorized dealers. All are 1.4 Ohm / 15 Regular coils / 5 Ceramic. Additionally have a couple 0.6 sub Ohm MESH lying around but ain't tried 'em yet. eLiquid is 70-PG/30-VG, or 50/50 Nic Salts.

IMO Smok Nord coils are seriously theee worst in the industry. I'm royally ticked off that every 2nd Smok Nord coil is DEFECTIVE or GOES BAD after just a COUPLE of DAYS of use. Many have the same complaint. EACH coil is supposed to last AT LEAST one week, and with a nominal amount of vaping around 1.5 weeks. Ceramic is more airy and worse than Regular.

Smoktech should NOT be doing this to customers who TRUST them and buy their products. You get a 5-pack of coils for $10 to $15 but in reality you get ONLY two good coils. Smok should know better and should be ashamed of this disservice, inconvenience, and waste of money.

PS >>> if you're a Pod or AIO user, and also ticked off by the low QC of Smok Nord COILS, please email Smoktech Customer Support!!

Where can I buy the aftermarket coils, are there any specific ones that you recommend?

• Optimistic
Reactions: LaZeR

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
Last edited:
Reactions: ElOgre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread