Need advice on Nic strength. Vets please chime in as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronus6

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2011
Florida
Thanks for reading!

Okay, here's the deal. I'm a noob. I want to quit analogs. But I'm not a ....., I've done my research. I've even experimented with "store/mall bought" E-cigs (garbage). I've researched, here and elsewhere. I've watched reviews etc.

In a couple days (payday :) ) I'm going to take the plunge. I (think) I know what hardware I want/need to make this work. A Riva 510 from LF, with a few add-ons (LR atomizers, drip tip, maybe some carto's too...).
I'll probably buy two of the "Lite" starter kits, just for the spare batts and atomizers.
I Fully realize I will probably end up on a box mod or something (damn, those pipe mods at epipemods.com look sweet!) in a few months.

Now here's the rub, and what I actually need some "experienced" advice on.

I'm a no BS smoker. 42 years old, been at non-stop since I was 15. I used to smoke Marlboro Reds, about 1.5-2 packs a day. For the last 2 years I've been rolling my own. Filter-less Bugler, or sometimes Daugthers and Ryans Three Sails (it's a shag-cut pipe tobacco that rolls beautifully...I buy it 14oz at a time...). I smoke about 30-40 hand rolled cigs a day.

What's been giving me grief is juice. Not flavor, hell, we are ALL different as far as flavor goes. But STRENGTH! I'd thought I'd just go with "high" strength (24mg/ml) stuff and be done with it. But there was a nagging suspicion that it wouldn't be enough.

After reading all the way though this (mess of a) thread [http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/194622-who-else-vapes-30-36-milligrams.htmlWho else vapes at 30 to 36 milligrams ] I'm a little more concerned. I've seen 36mg for sale a few places, but a few people in there mentioned 48 and 50mg (!!??!!) stuff! I've yet to run across anything like that. I'd hope I don't need it either! But still....

Anyone else out there a non-filter, roll your own, heavy kinda smoker? If so, just what nic did it take to get you to kick?

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
I would never go over 24. I am 51, smoked a little over a pack a day. I like 18mg. It's the closest to cigs I've found, maybe even 15mg. If I were you I'd start out with 18 and see what you think. Too high and you'll get the nic fix but won't be able to vape as much as you want to. That's part of the experience, IMO. Be very careful if you go over 24...

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Vapor Station has good tobacco flavors in up to 36 nicotine. My sister smoked Marlboro about as long as you have and I ordered her Tampa.

I believe FSUSA also has 35.

I would see how you do with that. You may be very surprised and not need as high as you think you do. I'm a long time smoker too and I'm happy with 24. I do have some 30 for times when I need it but it's rare anymore and I've diluted it.

You don't get the 'immediate' nicotine hit vaping as you do with cigarettes. So if you don't get that, it's not because of nicotine level. It's more of a slower progression or a build-up if you will. I'd start out with some 24 and 35 because you might find the 35 too high. See how you do with it.

Good luck!

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
All I can tell you is that you'll probably have to do some experimenting with this. You can't base your vaping nicotine level on what you smoked. Plenty of hard-core, non-filtered smokers are just fine at 24mg, some can't vape past 18mg and others will need 36mg. Rarely does anyone ever need to move up to 48mg, but it does happen. We don't suggest staying at that level any longer than you need to.

I was an Ultra Light filters smoker and I had started out at 18mg. That wasn't enough, so I moved up to 24mg for a while, then went between 24mg and 18mg. I now vape 18mg exclusively.

My advice to you is to get 24mg and 18mg to start. If 24mg doesn't seem to be enough, then move up the nic strength.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello and welcome to ecf... I smoked for over 40 yrs and started out on pallmall reds......when I was around 10ish or so.......would sneak them from my dad.....mybad, lol.....I quit smoking as soon as I picked up an ecig last Aug. I had rolled my own for about a year --then because of the price. I started ecigs at 18-24mg.....during my jucie discovery phase(what I liked, what I did'nt, etc) I found that I really didn't want a tobacco taste so started experimenting with all different kinds of flavors.......because I have found several different all day vapes, I cut the nic to 12 so I could hit it more often. I am now in the process of starting to cut back to 6mg........but remember, I vape all day long. Don't know if this will help, but we absorb nic differently than when we smoked analogs. With analogs the nic is absorbed directly into the lungs.....not so with juice.....most of the nic in the juice gets absorbed in the mouth, nose and throat area. You won't have an immediate feeling of getting a nic rush like with a analog and can quickly over-do the nic because we keep vaping. I think this is why some people get a headache etc...
:)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I would suggest starting out with the 24 and 36 and maybe get one bottle of 18. Part of the equation that is forgotten many times is that nicotine is one of the two parts that provides the throat hit or a better term IMO, the "inhaled feel" of a cigarette. You may not need 36mg nicotine, for the nicotine but instead for the throat hit. The other part of the throat hit equation is warmth of the vapor which comes with more powerful batteries. Although I regularly recommend the 3.7 volt Riva PV's for new vapers, you may be better served by getting a better battery device such as the 5 volt GLV2 or a good variable volt PV. This may help provide you the throat hit you need and be able to use 24mg or even 18mg liquid. There have been a number of post from vapers who lowered their nicotine levels after stepping up to a 5 volt or variable volt PV.

BTW, the closes liquid I found to Marlboro is Liberty Flights, PG version, "Home Counties".

Good Luck

Last edited:

SuziesMom

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
NY
Welcome! I've considered myself pretty hardcore with the nic too, and it did take 36 mg juice at first. After a few weeks it felt too strong for as much as I liked to vape- and found that as long as I had something with a decent throat hit that I was plenty satisfied with 24 mg. As long as it hurts a little I'm happy.

Grab some Boge 2 ohm cartos if you feel like treating yourself. They give tons of fairly warm vapor.

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
morning coffee is my trigger, even worse than drinking alcohol. I have from 18-33mg nic juices. mornings 24-33. if I vape 33 I don't need as much and have actually gotten that queezy feeling from vaping too much. as the day progresses I toss a milder blend carto on and can vape without OD symptoms. even a small bottle of higher strength nic for those first couple days. I wish I had gotten some stronger stuff for those days myself. I vaped near constantly for 3 days, barely slept and I too was a 30yr hvy smoker. I wanted to give up smokes bad when I got my e cig kit and just fought through it. for some it was easy, myself it took willpower for a few days. I never made it a full day going cold turkey, and it was easier but not easy for me.

once the chemicals leave the body it will be easier. and if you need some throat hit, try low resistance stuff. another one of those things I wish I had tried early on as it makes it feel like smoking much more than the cool smoothness (though some juices taste better on standard)

grab some lr and sr attys/cartos and a number of juices. try not to experiment with too many flavours at the ame time or you get like a flavour overload and they all start tasting like crap, or that one bad flavour stays with you. if you can swing it, I try to use a different carto or atty for each flavour, as sometimes the blended flavours are awful (and sometimes you find a combo that is awesome). the experimentation is part of the journey and I feel part of what keeps us busy and minds off the death sticks.

Cronus6

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2011
Florida
Thanks for everyone's input!

I think I'm going to stick with "standard tobacco" flavors (although that Sweet Caroline from iVape sounds yummy, hey! I'm southern and the "sweet tea" thing just kinda works...), with 15ml at 18mg and 15 at 24mg. And maybe a 5ml at 36mg just to be safe (for my 1st order of course). If the 24mg doesn't cut it, I should have time to order something stronger.

Thanks to wv2win for the heads up on "Home Counties" from LF. I'll be sure to try that with my hardware order from them!

Yes, LR's are a must to try IMO! Plan on getting one right off the bat.

As long as it hurts a little I'm happy.

Nailed it! [I may have to steal that for a sig ;) ]

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Id go 18mg and 24mg and maybe get 1 bottle of 36mg for when you really need it.You can always cut it if its to strong.I had some 36 at first for those morning cravings with my coffee.Then I just didnt need it anymore.

What she said ^^^

I had a terrible time for the first two weeks of vaping. 24mg just didn't cut it. I was climbing the walls. I just about chucked my e-cig in the trash. As a last resort, I got a bottle of 36mg juice.

I was very able to get off analogs by doing 36mg for about 3 weeks. After that I did 24mg and when ever I would get one of those "Gotta Have A Smoke Right NOW" moments. I'd take a couple of hits of 36mg and things were back to normal.

People react to the Nicotine in e-Juice differently so don't feel bad if you need more mg's than some people. Everyone is different.

One note: When you first start vaping, Drink a lot of water. The PG in e-juice can tend to dehydrate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread