Need advice on righ gauge of wire spool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper2020

Jan 26, 2019
Hello everyone, i have been trying to build my own Fused Clapton coils on my dual post Geekvape Creed 25mm Rta but my i can't do the math to order the right diameter of wire spool for my builds.

Here's what i ordered;

Geekvape Fused Clapton Kanthal Wire 24GA/32GA and,
Steam Coil 4-Core SS 316L Flattened Fused Clapton 28G, 36G

When i build a coil using either of these wires even 4mm 5wraps(which is the limit for my tank, any larger build would short out) both my resistance reader and vape mod is reading like 0.8-0.9 omhs(usually way lower than that) which is not the range i'm targeting at. I have bought prebuilt K1 0.45 ohms in the past and they worked great for my preference. My coil reader doesn't even fire for coils built under 0.2 ohms which is not my primarily problem at this moment. And i also don't know how to use steam engine's coil building tool, maybe i am too stupid for that.. lol

I have been stuck using only 1 post of my tank since i can't get the right ohms for my usage.

I would prefer using Flattened Fused Clapton Kanthal wire on a dual post Rta, so which GA wire should i go with?

Thanks for reading.

Viper2020

Jan 26, 2019

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Ok, open Steam. The top left in the dark blue square will be your coil dimensions. Pretty self explanatory, enter your ID (Inner Diameter) and number of wraps. Keep in mind that a full wrap means your trailing lead is in the opposite direction. If both leads are pointing in the same direction, this is considered a half wrap. See below graphic.

In Wire Builder (just under the Coil Setup), choose “Clapton”. To the right of that Steam will present you with the options to build a Clapton coil. You will see a Core and a Wrap. Because you are using Fused Claptons, you have multiple cores. So in the core section, choose Parallel within the drop down to the left. You now have the option to add the amount of cores your wire contains. There is a small plus sign just to the bottom to add more cores, or subtract should you have added too many. Choose the type of wire that is used, Kanthal, Ni80, SS316 etc, and enter each gauge. This is required for every core. Keep the wire as round for that is what you are using.

Under this will be the wrap for your Fused Clapton. Keep this as a Single Wire then select the proper wire metal (Kanthal, SS316 etc) and the correct gauge.

For your Geekvape wire, you have 2 Kanthal cores at 24awg and 1 Kanthal wrap at 32 awg
For the Steam Coil, you have 4 SS 316L cores at 28 awg and 1 SS 316L wrap at 36 awg.

Just note that Steam works off of what ever wire parameters it has within its program. These parameters may vary from what you are using so the results that Steam gives may not be accurate to what you have made. Example: Steam calculates 24 awg Kanthal as 7.07ohms per meter. Your Kanthal may be 7ohms per meter.

Coil wrap counting.png

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
If I put all the values correctly according to this i should expect 0.379 ohms but my coils are only 0.8 ohms or so...

View attachment 821841
In that pic, it looks like you've got Clapton selected as the wrap, which is incorrect.

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The above is incorrect. For the Geekvape wire it should look like….

Also, that is 5 wraps with a Inner Diameter of 3.5 mm. That is doable, but the full and half wrap I mentioned above does not apply to the Inner Diameter (in the event that is why you have chosen 3.5mm)

Steam.jpg

Viper2020

Jan 26, 2019
Wrapping the wire 3.5mm
IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG

View attachment 821859
Tightning the screws all the way
IMG_2460.JPG

There is barely enough room for the metal cap to go in without contacting the coils at this point.
View attachment 821865
Testing it out on my Tuopuke 521 TAB
IMG_2465.jpg

Checking ohms on Vopoo Drag 2 and SMOK Alien 220W
IMG_2470.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG

If i were to build smaller inner diameter my ohms would've been even lower than this. So i don't know what am i doing wrong...

Attachments

• IMG_2462.JPG
    IMG_2462.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I am assuming this is the Geekvape wire. If so, Steam calculated a 3.5mm ID coil of 4.5 wraps to be 0.284 ohms per coil. Because you are using 2 coils in Parallel we divide the resistance by 2. This equals 0.142 ohms. Pretty close to what you are reading with your devices.

If you decrease the ID to 3mm and increase your wraps to 5.5 you will end up with a resistance of 0.313 ohms per coil, or 0.15 ohms for 2 coils.

What is your objective with the build?

Viper2020

Jan 26, 2019
I am assuming this is the Geekvape wire. If so, Steam calculated a 3.5mm ID coil of 4.5 wraps to be 0.284 ohms per coil. Because you are using 2 coils in Parallel we divide the resistance by 2. This equals 0.142 ohms. Pretty close to what you are reading with your devices.

If you decrease the ID to 3mm and increase your wraps to 5.5 you will end up with a resistance of 0.313 ohms per coil, or 0.15 ohms for 2 coils.

What is your objective with the build?

This is Geekvape wire. I would like to build a Kanthal Fused Clapton dual coil that is over 0.2 ohms.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
This is Geekvape wire. I would like to build a Kanthal Fused Clapton dual coil that is over 0.2 ohms.

Ok. Understand that by using 2 coils in Parallel you half the resistance. You can increase resistance by adding more wraps. But in doing so, you add mass to the coil(s) which will require more power and will be a hotter vape. Higher mass also effects how quickly a coil can heat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread