• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Need advice RE: Canadian Customs...please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-man

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Got a call from DHL this morning regarding a package from Janty France. It contains two NEO Classics and a couple bottles of juice. Janty marks the contents simply as "Electronic device". It wasn't a problem with the first NEO or second NEO I ordered (ya...two and two more in customs...my friends are all jumping on the e-cig bandwagon!).

DHL tells me that I'm gong to have to go in and clear the package with Customs. What the hell do I tell them???

Has anyone else gone through this? What were your results?

Last edited:

TrueNorthist

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cariboo Country, BC
Got a call from DHL this morning regarding a package from Janty France. It contains two NEO Classics and a couple bottles of juice. Janty marks the contents simply as "Electronic Device". It wasn't a problem with the first NEO or second NEO I ordered (ya...two and two more in customs...my friends are all jumping on the e-cig bandwagon!).

DHL tells me that I'm gong to have to go in and clear the package with Customs. What the hell do I tell them???
If there is nic juice in the package I would simply say goodbye. Even if it doesn't have nic I'll bet they will pinch it anyway. You might get to collect the devices, if they are in a good mood. Be extremely naive and apologetic and maybe...? Oh, and don't forget to vote for the freedom to decide what is best for your own body next election.

Sorry to hear it man. Hope it works out ok.

Last edited:

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
Unless there's documentation in or on the package that says it contains nicotine they will not care. Go down and pick it up. They're not going to interrogate you about it. Tell them it's a personal vaporizer and if there's any juice in the order (which it doesn't sound like there is) tell them it's nicotine free (and only if they ask).

I think you're freaking out over nothing :p Now go get your vape mail!! :D

CanadaLady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2011
Canada
I have heard recently about this self clearing from others. They make you clear the package yourself. You need the import code? Not sure if they will provide you with one? Pay the tax on the order and that should be it. DHL should be able to provide you with the code for e-cigs. You will have to fill out some paper work. I have never done this myself, but have heard from others. And yes if there is nicotine in the package, kiss it goodbye, unless they allow you to take out the nic and just clear the hardware.

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
If it's just a couple kits (and not a commercial quantity) - self clearing should be relatively painless.

Heed Truenorthist's advice - be apologetic and naive.

DHL won't clear it because Customs has already realized that it's an ecig. DHL's new policy is not to clear anything ecig related - so they pass it on to you to self clear.

Again - if it's just a couple ecigs there shouldn't be any problem. Nic liquid will cause an issue though (ergo - apologetic and naive - explain that you didn't know and could they remove it from the package and let you have the hardware).

There are some really decent people working customs - hope you get one of them.

Good luck.

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
Question: If they haven't opened the package, do they ask you what the contents are? Or do they just open it, always? If the package is unopened, do you just tell the truth regardless and play naive?

K-man at least you have one!! I've been so anxiously waiting for my first ever ecig.

And too bad, won't be ordering anything from Janty again - not that it's their fault, it just would be fruitless :)

Last edited:

K-man

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Question: If they haven't opened the package, do they ask you what the contents are? Or do they just open it, always? If the package is unopened, do you just tell the truth regardless and play naive?

K-man at least you have one!! I've been so anxiously waiting for my first ever ecig.

And too bad, won't be ordering anything from Janty again - not that it's their fault, it just would be fruitless :)

Janty has been good so far. I have mine but then ordered one for a guy at work and then two more the day after. The two orders arrived through Hamilton within a few hours of each other, so perhaps some one caught on to the fact that there were two orders. The first order cleared but the second did not. Hopefully I'll get the second order in. That order has two kits in it!

vise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton
I really don't want to come off sounding like a broken record, but this is just another reason I always shop with a Canadian Vendor. Maybe it costs me a little more money, but I'd rather pay that than have to take the time out of my busy day to go and hassle with/educate a public servant who may or may not have had his/her cup of coffee yet and be in a grouchy mood because of it.

CanadaLady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2011
Canada
Heed Truenorthist's advice - be apologetic and naive.

DHL won't clear it because Customs has already realized that it's an ecig. DHL's new policy is not to clear anything ecig related - so they pass it on to you to self clear.

Above all true. DHL seems to be the carrier that is doing the self-clearing. Packaged opened? Most likely not, they are just making you clear because of the documentation on the package.

Oriana871

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
I really don't want to come off sounding like a broken record, but this is just another reason I always shop with a Canadian Vendor. Maybe it costs me a little more money, but I'd rather pay that than have to take the time out of my busy day to go and hassle with/educate a public servant who may or may not have had his/her cup of coffee yet and be in a grouchy mood because of it.

Try getting a Neo Classic within Canada - not possible. I try to order online within Canada no matter what I'm ordering, but I looked high and low for the Neo and had to go to Europe to get it. That's what I wanted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread