Need help and input on mw/mm2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I believe the answer is not in the math but in the physics of the coils. The larger surface area of the 18 ga will transfer more heat to a larger quantity of juice. In addition, the 18 ga will heat much faster which will produce more vapor at a greater speed. My opinion is based solely on what the vape will yield. This is slightly a moot point as vaping with 18 ga kanthal at 200 watts is not realistic. It's simply too hot.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Coil1

200 watts – 18g Kan/.293ῼ = 374 mW/mm2 – 447.06 mj/k

Coil 2

12.6 watts – 30g kan/1.2ῼ = 374 mW/mm2 – 7.01 mj/k

Will these be a vape that is the same? Given that juice, topper and mod are the same?

If not WHY

The 18awg, once it eventually gets up to temp, will evaporate more eliquid because it covers more area of the wick.

The 30awg will heat up almost instantly but since it is a much narrower coil it will not evaporate as much eliquid.

You can use several strands of smaller wire in parellel that will cover the same surface area as the larger wire and will heat up much much faster.

There are many other variables but this is a simple answer to your question.

I believe the answer is not in the math but in the physics of the coils. The larger surface area of the 18 ga will transfer more heat to a larger quantity of juice. In addition, the 18 ga will heat much faster which will produce more vapor at a greater speed. My opinion is based solely on what the vape will yield. This is slightly a moot point as vaping with 18 ga kanthal at 200 watts is not realistic. It's simply too hot.

See above

Reactions: WonderDude32

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Coil1

200 watts – 18g Kan/.293ῼ = 374 mW/mm2 – 447.06 mj/k

Coil 2

12.6 watts – 30g kan/1.2ῼ = 374 mW/mm2 – 7.01 mj/k

Will these be a vape that is the same? Given that juice, topper and mod are the same?

If not WHY

No.
They will be the same temperature.
But the 200 watt vape will use up juice 20 times faster than the 10 watt vape.

Reactions: TFL!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Thank you
Now at what mW/mm does cotton scorch?

if the cotton goes dry, the coil will get too hot and scorch the coil.

the mW/mm does not correlate to a strict temperature;
200 mW/mm corresponds to around the amount of power per unit area of vaporize a layer of eliquid.
2000 mW/mm would vaporize it superfast and likely dry your cotton before more liquid could arrive
20 mW/mm would probably vaporize too slow to be usefull.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
No.
They will be the same temperature.
But the 200 watt vape will use up juice 20 times faster than the 10 watt vape.

I am trying to understand this. Both coils have the same heat flux of 374 wM/mm2, granted 30g heats up faster then 18g, So same temp on both, but less mass on one. same heat flux on both

The part of the equation that you are missing is the size of the coil. The 18awg and the 30 awg surface temp would be the same but the 18awg coil is covering 15.87 times more surface area as compared to the 30awg coil.

Last edited:

Kahina

Verified Member
May 16, 2015
Land of many beaches.
The part of the equation that you are missing is the size of the coil. The 18awg and the 30 awg surface temp would be the same but the 18awg coil is covering 15.87 times more surface area as compared to the 30awg coil.

The other part of the equation the OP is missing is the air flow required to carry that heat away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread