Need help figuring out what nic level to get for when stressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
VA
I was a pretty light smoker, but I'm a chain vaper so I use 6mg liquids. In the last month I had some situations where I was extremely frustrated/stressed/overwhelmed and I had cigarettes around me so I bummed one or two and smoked to get a bigger and quicker nic fix.

I always did mouth to lung, but when I switched from auto to manual ecig I started doing lung hits, not intentionally just gradually and naturally progress. So when I lit up.. without thinking about it I did a lung hit. Tried to go back to mouth to lung, but I still reverted to lung hits out of habit several times. When I was a smoker it took me around 10 leisurely minutes to smoke my UL 100s cig, finished these (same cigs) in less than half that. Got a nice nic head rush, but it did the trick and I simmered down curbing the urge to toss my phone out the window onto the freeway.

So my thought was to buy a bit of liquid at a higher nic level for those moments, to A) Get the nic fix without a cigarette B) To prevent a meltdown when I'm pushed that far and I can't get a nic fix because there's no one to bum from. I'm just not sure what nic level to get for max results without it being too harsh/strong.

Not sure if I want to get a higher nic premade juice, but just got an idea to maybe get an unflavored nic liquid base to add to my usual liquids (not to the whole bottle but maybe a little in a small tank)to give a little kick. Just not sure what nic level to go with for either option. Appreciate any advice, suggestions, or personal experience with this, so thanks in advance.

Last edited:

alsmom

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Crypton, Colorado
I was only smoking ten analogs a day when I switched to the e-cig, but I started on 21mg, weaning myself down now, usually 18 or for the last two days 11mg juice. I would carry an extra cart with a higher nicotine level for those stressful times, but remember not to chain vape a much higher level, well, you will do it once and then never do it again :)

Sally_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
VA
I was only smoking ten analogs a day when I switched to the e-cig, but I started on 21mg, weaning myself down now, usually 18 or for the last two days 11mg juice. I would carry an extra cart with a higher nicotine level for those stressful times, but remember not to chain vape a much higher level, well, you will do it once and then never do it again :)

Of course, for the most part I was a social smoker I, only 'needing' a cigarette when stressed. Going from having to smoke outside, having to bundle up when cold or eat up by mosquitoes, to being able to vape inside I do it far more frequently. I plan to only use the higher nic liquid for a few drags to help me simmer down and relax a little.

Sally_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
VA
Been going back and forth on the two ideas I have and I'm still unsure which would be the better option of the two. The reason I thought about perhaps getting a high nic unflavored liquid is this, I could add it to any liquid I have, by adding a little of the base to a clearo then fill with any liquid I have in my collection. Downside, no idea what the nicotine level would be, depending how much I add (knowing me I would probably eyeball it since it's only a clearo sized batch) Just ordering a premixed liquid I'm stuck with whatever flavor that might be.

Regardless of the method I opt for I'm still uncertain which nic would be best. :?:

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
Vaping unflavored isn't bad tasting. I order a tiny 5ml bottle of 24mg unflavored and add it to whatever liquid I am using when I want some nic. I currently use 0mg but have been feeling like it's just not working lately so a few drops in my tank does it. I also like to vape unflavored with koolada in it and a few nicotine drops. It's a nice change from all the flavors I use.

TheColdHandedVG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
New York, USA
I was a pretty light smoker, but I'm a chain vaper so I use 6mg liquids. In the last month I had some situations where I was extremely frustrated/stressed/overwhelmed and I had cigarettes around me so I bummed one or two and smoked to get a bigger and quicker nic fix.

I always did mouth to lung, but when I switched from auto to manual ecig I started doing lung hits, not intentionally just gradually and naturally progress. So when I lit up.. without thinking about it I did a lung hit. Tried to go back to mouth to lung, but I still reverted to lung hits out of habit several times. When I was a smoker it took me around 10 leisurely minutes to smoke my UL 100s cig, finished these (same cigs) in less than half that. Got a nice nic head rush, but it did the trick and I simmered down curbing the urge to toss my phone out the window onto the freeway.

So my thought was to buy a bit of liquid at a higher nic level for those moments, to A) Get the nic fix without a cigarette B) To prevent a meltdown when I'm pushed that far and I can't get a nic fix because there's no one to bum from. I'm just not sure what nic level to get for max results without it being too harsh/strong.

Not sure if I want to get a higher nic premade juice, but just got an idea to maybe get an unflavored nic liquid base to add to my usual liquids (not to the whole bottle but maybe a little in a small tank)to give a little kick. Just not sure what nic level to go with for either option. Appreciate any advice, suggestions, or personal experience with this, so thanks in advance.

I do exactly what you are thinking of doing and it works great. I have a mini protank 3 that I keep filled with an 18mg/ml liquid. My ADV is a 12mg/ml juice so it isn't a huge jump but it definitely does the trick. Just get a cheap little tank for like $15 or less and keep it filled with a high nic juice and that should definitely help.

Rodeorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Guthrie, OK
Um, nicotine isn't what calms nerves in a cigarette. Nicotine is a stimulent, increasing heartbeat and blood pressure, the opposite of calm.
It may have been nicotine that brought you back to cigarettes (debatable), but it was the other toxins that depressed your nervous system.
If you're stressed, LESS nicotine is key; and of course vaping is a coping mechanism in and of itself.

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
after a lot of cig cravings durig stressful times, i found my answer. I normally vape 12 or 18, and i was a high VG lover. But now i found that when i'm stressed chain vaping some 18mg with a 50%PG blend that has a good throat hit and lots of flavor works for me, and i'll take deep lung hits. I found that strong citrus has a great throat hit, also nirvana vapor's coconut burfi and anything from five pawns.

Sally_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
VA
Um, nicotine isn't what calms nerves in a cigarette. Nicotine is a stimulent, increasing heartbeat and blood pressure, the opposite of calm.
It may have been nicotine that brought you back to cigarettes (debatable), but it was the other toxins that depressed your nervous system.
If you're stressed, LESS nicotine is key; and of course vaping is a coping mechanism in and of itself.

It's not so black and white as that. As an example, AD/HD (Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder) is commenly treated with stimulant medications because despite the fact it's a stimulant it has a calming effect. My niece has AD/HD, she regularly uses caffeine to curb her hyperactivity.

Furthermore it is not 'debatable', it has been shown that vaping isn't as effective of a nicotine delivery system as a cigarette, hence the need for different nicotine levels.

Excerpt from http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/in...ecf-interview-dr-konstantinos-farsalinos.html

'Although we used experienced vapers, the levels of absorption were around one third of that from tobacco – you’d need to vape for 35 minutes to get plasma nicotine levels similar to smoking one tobacco cigarette in five minutes.'

Last edited:

Jamfreek

Mar 21, 2014
MD
The trick is to find different flavors/vendors that taste best at different nic levels. I have 2- 12mg juices that are part of my rotation, as well as 2- 6mg juices. The 12mg's (right now- Five Pawns-Castle Long, and Nicoticket- Virus) are kind of a different vape as opposed to my 6mgs which are more on the fruity, and bakery side of flavors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

When I started vaping I used to keep a small tank - it was a v-nano - with some 24mg liquid in it, next to my computer at home; occassionaly I'd take a drag on that; but during the day, I would be using my main tank with low to 0 mg in it.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
When I started vaping in November with the intent on quitting after my last half pack, which I did, began with 18mg nic, it wasn't enough, so my distributor increased it to 24mg. That was what enabled me to dump analogs.

Now I'm going to try a 18mg bottle & see how it goes. Having 4 flavors, it won't hurt to try with one first.

You do bring up a great point, I need to grab a bottle of the unflavored, some sites carries a whopping amount of it for the price of a premium 30ml bottle of e-juice. Good to water down too strong of a flavor also.

Cat

Sally_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
VA
When I started vaping in November with the intent on quitting after my last half pack, which I did, began with 18mg nic, it wasn't enough, so my distributor increased it to 24mg. That was what enabled me to dump analogs.

Now I'm going to try a 18mg bottle & see how it goes. Having 4 flavors, it won't hurt to try with one first.

You do bring up a great point, I need to grab a bottle of the unflavored, some sites carries a whopping amount of it for the price of a premium 30ml bottle of e-juice. Good to water down too strong of a flavor also.

Cat

Glad it helped, it really does come in very handy. I originally just bought a plain vg/pg base liquid to use when trying to taste test a bunch of liquid samples with a bridgeless attomizer to try clean out a flavor before trying another. Can't tell you how many liquids I probably would have tossed due to overpowering flavors that were made vapeable for me by diluting them with base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread