Need Help from the Experts, Building my 1st Mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEATHTOCIGS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
TEXAS
I think I need help from the experts. I want to build a DNA20 box mod. I have seen a tutorial on this forum for a MILO - DNA20. These were great instructions but left me with some questions. I am not an expert at electronics or soldering.

1. Should I use stranded or non stranded wire?

2. Is soldering applied to both sides of the board (the picture looked like it may have been).

3. Are there any pcb connectors that could work that would eliminate the need for soldering altogether?

4. The instructions started with desoldering and removing the tactile fire button. Is this really necessary? The information on the evolve website lead me to believe if you wired a switch to the correct through holes in the board, the DNA20 would recognize it and bypass the onboard firing option in favor of the installed button. I was wondering if this was only a space constraint on the Milo mod?

5. I wanted to use different buttons, there are many options on the Mad Vapes website that I found quite confusing. Does it matter what amp rating the buttons have for the DNA20? Whats the difference between a switch thats normally off and one thats normally on. Is one better for this application than the other. Will both work to controll the up down wattage control?

6. I want to make this an 18650 mod. I thought I saw on another post that the DNA20 should use non protected batteries. Is that true, because all of the 18650s I have are protected?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

MattBott

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I think I need help from the experts. I want to build a DNA20 box mod. I have seen a tutorial on this forum for a MILO - DNA20. These were great instructions but left me with some questions. I am not an expert at electronics or soldering.

Straned, for sure. Non stranded is too much of a pain to work with.

2. Is soldering applied to both sides of the board (the picture looked like it may have been).
Just the side where the bare wire is sticking through. Not the side with insulated wire. This can be on either side of the board.

3. Are there any pcb connectors that could work that would eliminate the need for soldering altogether?
Not that I'm aware of.

4. The instructions started with desoldering and removing the tactile fire button. Is this really necessary? The information on the evolve website lead me to believe if you wired a switch to the correct through holes in the board, the DNA20 would recognize it and
bypass the onboard firing option in favor of the installed button. I was wondering if this was only a space constraint on the Milo mod?
You do not need to remove the built in buttons. Some people are removing then to make the board thinner.

5. I wanted to use different buttons, there are many options on the Mad Vapes website that I found quite confusing. Does it matter what amp rating the buttons have for the DNA20? Whats the difference between a switch thats normally off and one thats normally on. Is one better for this application than the other. Will both work to controll the up down wattage control?
Amp limit doesn't matter for the DNA20. You want a 'normally off' button for all three. A normally off means that when the button is NOT pushed, it is "off" (the circuit is NOT complete), then push the button for "on" (the circuit IS complete). Normally on means that when the button is NOT pushed, it is "on" (the curcuit IS complete), then you push the button for "off"

6. I want to make this an 18650 mod. I thought I saw on another post that the DNA20 should use non protected batteries. Is that true, because all of the 18650s I have are protected?
I don't think I've seen that anywhere. Though you should use IMR high drain batteries (most of which are not protected).

From the DNA20 spec sheet:
A single cell rechargeable lithium chemistry battery is recommended. Either a lithium ion or a
lithium polymer type can be used. Any battery used should be rated for a MINIMUM of 7 amps
continuous discharge current. High C rated lithium polymer or IMR cylindrical cells are strongly
preferred.

One 18650 that I know meets this requirement is the Panasonic CGR18650CH.

jmarkus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
CA USA

i personally like stranded, but you can use either

not sure what you mean, but just solder the connection as you normally would

no, you need to solder. you can solder pins on, but youll still need to solder no matter what.

4. The instructions started with desoldering and removing the tactile fire button. Is this really necessary? The information on the evolve website lead me to believe if you wired a switch to the correct through holes in the board, the DNA20 would recognize it and bypass the onboard firing option in favor of the installed button. I was wondering if this was only a space constraint on the Milo mod?

you dont need to desolder anything, only if the case is super tiny and the onboard switches are in the way and get pressed by the case. onboard buttons still work even if you install your own in the through holes.

you can use super cheap small tactiles or as big as you want. no amp rated switch is required, use anything you want. normally open is a switch thats in the off state and pressing the button turns it on (closed). you want normally open for this application on all buttons for the dna20. youll need one for up, one for down and one for fire for a total of 3. or you can choose to use a pot and eliminate 2 buttons, but once a pot is installed, you loose the ability to rotate the screen.

the dna20 requires 7amp discharge rate. any high drain imr 18650 (aw is a great brand) will be perfect, protected batts wont have the discharge rate you need

Last edited:

jmarkus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
CA USA
I see what you mean, apologies to Mattbott and Jmarkus. I used the wrong terminology. I said normally on or off. I should have asked normally open or closed. I can see now that I want normally open switches which means they are off (circuit not closed).

exactly!! no apologies needed. now go build that mod and show us how you did, you crazy kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread