Need help on cell phone purchase ... maybe a Blackberry Curve....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScotTex

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2010
Houston, Texas
I just have an old RAZR I use with T-Mobile's 'pay as you go' plan, I can buy a 24 hour internet pass for $1.50 and I would only need to use that a few times a week. I don't make many calls so keeping minutes is not an issue for me.
Anyway:
I've always wanted a phone that could access the internet either through Hot-spots or 3G.
One that will work with my T-Mobile SIM card.
Has a 2 megapixel camera or better and a removable memory card.
And charges like my RAZR, using a standard USB-mini plug.
It doesn't have to be brand new, just a nice design, good screen and web browser..

I am eyeballing something like this deal on ebay for an unlocked, refurbished Blackberry Curve... Any help appreciated.
(Edit: I deleted the link now, because ebay links go bad more frequently than I vape.)

Last edited:

ScotTex

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2010
Houston, Texas
I guess you guys and gals buy new phones like I do (Only when I absolutely HAVE to) LOL

I found that T-mobile now sells this 'Comet' phone for prepaid users: YouTube - T-Mobile Comet Review

It's $200 (Out of Pocket) but I can easily make that up in 6 months saved from not having a monthly plan. Anyway, it looks pretty good and has that Android software on it which seems popular.

Hope this helps others using Prepaid T-Mobile.

Last edited:

Kevin Freeheart

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Live Free Or Die
I'd suggest picking up a second-hand G1 from T-Mobile. That was their first Android phone so it's bound to be cheapest. That said, any Android phone from T-Mobile will work pretty much the same way.

It runs Android which will give you access to the features you listed as well as a ton of them you'll come to find once you have, you can't live without.

It will use a SIM card, so you can pop in a pre-paid T-Mobile SIM or one from any other GSM provider. You can throw in a microSD card of whatever size you feel is prudent to store pictures and music.

It will have wifi so you can use that where you have internet that way.

antihero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
S. California
I would definitely recommend a Curve (speaking from experience and those around me who love theirs) or a G1 (Android made simple and fun). I personally use an unlocked iPhone 3G running on t-mobile, can be a little tricky nowadays to get a hold of one unlock-able with all these updates blocking exploits but I like it. Hope to replace it with the upcoming Nexus S within the coming months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread