Need help with a harsh taste / TC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

karledmnd

Nov 10, 2018
South Africa
Hello, im new to this place, and i was wondering... can i use temperature control with my TFV12 Prince Q-4 coil? i read that the coil is made out of kanthal, and my g-priv 2 does not have a option for kanthal (idk if any mod does).. What do you guys recommend? Any TFV12 coils out there that would support TC? Or should i get a rda?

The reason i want to change to TC is that i get a harsh feeling in my throat when i exhale (im using a 3mg nicotine liquid, with 65VG) If you guys have any ideas how to get rid how that harsh feeling, give me some ideas! I've tried different Wattage levels but it still doesn't feel like it..

All ideas are appreciated!

Thanks, Karl

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Now i'm no tank expert, but i'm pretty sure there's no tfv12 coil for temp control.
For this you'd need either a SS,Ni or Ti coil (SS being the most common one used).
You don't necessarely need an Rda either, you could use an Rta with wire or coils made of the above materials.

Can't help for harshness unfortunately, as i've never really bothered or liked smok tanks.
I use a single coil rda at .6 0hms with Kanthal wire at 30 watts and get more than enough clouds but more importantly flavor for days.

I also doubt Tc will be of any help for that harshness but we have a few folks here who uses this that might be better suited to answer that one than me.

• Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would up your VG. Also, if your nicotine level is too high, that can cause harshness as well.

TC is probably NOT going to help with actually juice issue harshness quite frankly. I mean, if you puff for a bit on a cool tank and you still get "harsh" well, TC is not going to remedy that.

What other juices/nic levels/pg levels have you tried? I would start there, personally.

Anna

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
Have you tried Nic salts (or Salts Nic)? I used to choke on any juice with higher than 3mg nicotine. I just made a juice with the Salt Nic at 8mg that I have no trouble vaping at almost twice the wattage. The Salt nic juice also works with TC as well. If you're looking for a new tank, you should check out the Vaporesso Cascade and Cascade Baby tanks. The GT line of coils is excellent and you can use the Ccells for TC.

Skwij

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
i read that the coil is made out of kanthal, and my g-priv 2 does not have a option for kanthal (idk if any mod does).

Thanks, Karl

Wattage mode is for Kanthal coils.
Your coils should have a wattage range printed on the outside. Those are good guidelines, usually.

Start with lower wattage than the lowest printed on the coil, then slowly work upwards to the low end. Vape there for a while before upping the wattage more.
Sometimes being over eager to get to the rated wattage can cause a coil/cotton to taste harsh, when a gentle break-in doesn't take all that much time and is better for the taste and longevity of a coil. Generally. Usually.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Wattage mode is for Kanthal coils.
Your coils should have a wattage range printed on the outside. Those are good guidelines, usually.

Start with lower wattage than the lowest printed on the coil, then slowly work upwards to the low end. Vape there for a while before upping the wattage more.
Sometimes being over eager to get to the rated wattage can cause a coil/cotton to taste harsh, when a gentle break-in doesn't take all that much time and is better for the taste and longevity of a coil. Generally. Usually.
THis is good advice. As an example I have a favorite mesh coil with a recommended minimum wattage of 50, when it's new I start at 27 and work up in 3 watt increments until I hit 40. 40 is as high as I get with these coils.

I don't often hit the recommended minimum. I like to vape hot enough to get good flavor and prevent leaks caused by flooded coils.

Last edited:

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
TFV12 will not do TC. Those coils are hardcore and that is more than likely the problem. Clearly, turn down the wattage and the airflow. If you want to do TC mode you should find a tank that has stainless steel coils or just get an RDA. Stainless steel does TC mode and wattage mode.

Things like Nickle(Ni) and Titanium(Ti) also do temperature control but they DO NOT do wattage mode. They can be dangerous to vape. If you're running TC mode on some Ni coils and it jumps out of TC mode(it happens sometimes) into wattage mode you can have some serious problems. So for TC mode always use Stainless Steel. It's safe in TC and wattage mode. I highly recommend the Drop RDA.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Also, if your nicotine level is too high, that can cause harshness as well.

Also lowering nic will also help

OP said:

im using a 3mg nicotine liquid, with 65VG

Any lower and he'd be at 0. Although it is possible he added that detail with an edit.

As far as I know the only smok tank that has TC coils is the tfv4 mini or the tfv4. Otherwise go with an RDA. Or see if there's a rba for your tank.

You are correct that there are no SMOK branded TC coils for anything other than the TFV4, however, there are NON-Smok branded TC coils that work in the Smok BB and BBB tanks. I believe it was an eLeaf coil. Since OP doesn't have those tanks I am not going to worry about digging up the details though. Let me know if that changes.

I have never tried TC on any factory built coil heads so I can't speak to that, but I have used TC on a single coil RTA for over a year now, and now I won't vape any other way. The only time I get a bad taste is when it's time to change the wick and clean the coil (about once per week with all day every day use).

If you want tank recommendations let us know if you prefer mouth to lung (tight or loose) or direct lung vaping style. Off the top of my head, I would suggest the Innokin Ares for tight MTL or Serpent SMM for DTL (or loose MTL if you change to a small bore drip tip). There are plenty of other good RTAs though, we just need to know what you like.

karledmnd

Nov 10, 2018
South Africa
Have you tried Nic salts (or Salts Nic)? I used to choke on any juice with higher than 3mg nicotine. I just made a juice with the Salt Nic at 8mg that I have no trouble vaping at almost twice the wattage. The Salt nic juice also works with TC as well. If you're looking for a new tank, you should check out the Vaporesso Cascade and Cascade Baby tanks. The GT line of coils is excellent and you can use the Ccells for TC.
Living in a small town in Estonia.. everything vape related is pretty hard to get, never heard of Nic salts but ill look into it :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
@https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/members/karledmnd.339069/
Most of us who use TC mode prefer Stainless Steel coils (SS316L wire). SS wire varies resistance linearly with heat and allows the mod to accurately control the voltage fed to the coil based on the resistance change with heat.

You might want to explore rebuildable atomizers and wind your own coils using SS316L wire.

Harsh taste is almost always caused by high wattage with a coil that can't keep up juice flow. Try lowering wattage to find the sweet spot for flavor. Once you've over-driven the coil you run the risk of scorching the wicking material. Start low and experiment. Once the flavor becomes harsh, back the wattage down. Once you've experienced harsh taste there's the probability that the wicking has been scorched. It's probably time to install a new coil and wick.

Rebuildable atomizers will use the wire in the link below. 26ga and 28ga are popular with most vapers. It's far cheaper to buy a rebuildable atomizer and use wire from a spool of SS wire along with Rayon Cellucotton from Sally's beauty supply for the wicking (the blue and white box). There's plenty of advice on rebuilding RBA's here on ECF.

Amazon sells Sally's cellucotton, but If there's a Sally's near you they stock it in the stores.
CelluCotton Beauty Coil 3lbs.

Stainless wire is here.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ss316l+wire&sprefix=ss316l,aps,202&crid=18A491D4MGU86

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
65% PG? Yeah, that might be the cause.

I've used 60pg and 70pg as my daily vape most of my vaping life. I've used 50/50 for a while and switched back tp 70pg because I like the increased flavor of PG. It's not the best for clouds, but I'm a MTL vaper anyway.

When I first started vaping most were using as high as 90pg/10vg and 80pg/20vg for flavor and MTL vaping.

Reactions: karledmnd

karledmnd

Nov 10, 2018
South Africa
Update:
I changed my vape juice out for another brand, primed the coil and oh my god the difference is huge!
Although i used 65VG/35PG before, and now use 70VG/30PG i don't think that makes too much of a difference,
i think the juice brand i used before was bad, not sure though :p
Anyway - case solved, happy vaping everyone! :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread