Need help with dual coil RBA builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqonker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2015
I have been using used single coils ( 28 guage .07-.08 2.0mm ID) I have tried many times to get into dual coils but just cant get them right - I dont get any increase in vapor or flavor. I like using 22mm atties and I feel like I'm not using the atties to their full potential with a single coil in them. Any one have any suggestions?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I have been using used single coils ( 28 guage .07-.08 2.0mm ID) I have tried many times to get into dual coils but just cant get them right - I dont get any increase in vapor or flavor. I like using 22mm atties and I feel like I'm not using the atties to their full potential with a single coil in them. Any one have any suggestions?

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Nothing wrong with single coil setups... I actually prefer them and feel I get a better vaping experience overall with one coil.

To address your concerns, though, you'll need to keep in mind that resistance is key with building your own coils. For example, if you used to use a single 0.5 ohm coil and are trying a dual 1.0 ohm coil setup, your end resistance will still be 0.5ohms and will vape quite similarly... maybe slightly better. That higer total wattage is what you're after. Try building lower with heavier gage wire... that's one of the benefits of multiple coils.

Reactions: WonderDude32

sqonker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2015
Nothing wrong with single coil setups... I actually prefer them and feel I get a better vaping experience overall with one coil.

To address your concerns, though, you'll need to keep in mind that resistance is key with building your own coils. For example, if you used to use a single 0.5 ohm coil and are trying a dual 1.0 ohm coil setup, your end resistance will still be 0.5ohms and will vape quite similarly... maybe slightly better. That higer total wattage is what you're after. Try building lower with heavier gage wire... that's one of the benefits of multiple coils.
Ok I will try that. What atty do you use mostly? Thank You

Reactions: Cloudmann

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
With dual coils, each coil MUST be identical, otherwise they won't work efficiently. Keep an eye on the number of times you wrap, one of your coils may have one more wrap than the other, and end each coil the same way.

Say you're using a coil jig where you wrap the wire around a post, if you start under the post, your end lead needs to end ABOVE the post, and the next coil needs to be wrapped identically.

Try sleeper builds, rip tripper has instructions on doing sleepers on youtube. Anytime I wrap duals, I build a sleeper.
A sleeper is basically two coils made from the same piece of wire, running through the positive post; if built right, everything heats up more evenly than two separate coils. Separate coils ARE easier, but not as efficient.

Dual coils are typically built in parallel. What this does is split the resistance in half...as others have said above, if both of my coils are each at 1ohm, then the total resistance becomes .5ohms. If I built a quad coil, where each coil were 1ohm, the total resistance would become .25ohms

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

What ohm coils have you been using.

What power source are you using.
If you are using a mech then once you are happy with one coil, you just add a second coil for twice the vape.
But if you are using a vw-only mod, when you add the second coil, you'll need to double the wattage

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
My first suggestion is to get the resistance up. If you are running dual coils at .07-.08ohms, you are running in the danger zone for MOST mods and if you are on a mech then definitely danger zone for ALL available batteries. I dont even think thats safe for TC builds(correct me if im wrong because i dont know much about TC builds).

I'm hoping that was just a typo. For me the best vape comes from about .4-.7 ohms in a dual coil build. That is subjective of course but safety first.

sqonker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2015
Thanks for all the suggestions - I will try them all. I am currently using a mech - a LP Reo Grand with an ODIN atomizer. I typed the initial post wrong - i build my single coil at.7 or .8 and I use Sony vct5 batteries. I notice it takes a lot longer for both coils to heat up. I have been wrapping on a drill bit so i may try one of the coilmaster things or a jig. Ill work on it and let you know how it goes. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Have you tried the VTC4s? Nothing wrong with the VTC5 but its a 20A battery that gets hot quick when it pushes between 15-20A. The VTC4 is a great 20A cell that can push 30A safely, but also gets hot very quick when above 20A. If you plan on building lower resistance than a .7 then the VTC5 can probably handle the load but you might get better results out of a VTC4 in the .5-.7 range.

sqonker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2015
Have you tried the VTC4s? Nothing wrong with the VTC5 but its a 20A battery that gets hot quick when it pushes between 15-20A. The VTC4 is a great 20A cell that can push 30A safely, but also gets hot very quick when above 20A. If you plan on building lower resistance than a .7 then the VTC5 can probably handle the load but you might get better results out of a VTC4 in the .5-.7 range.
No I havent tried those - I was hearing that the vct5s were the best so i got those. Ill get the vct4s and try them. Thank You

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread