Need help with nic salt on RTA MTL. I'm about to quit vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

OBarbas

Oct 11, 2020
Hello
I was convinced to try vaping to quit smoking so i tried with a Vaporesso PodStick with a juice of 25mg with a 10mg of freebase nic. But that wasn't working very well because besides the scratch on the throat i had to be always vaping.
So i got my hands in some 20mg/ml nic salts ready to vape. The first one was Milky Way by Monosalts and besides the first half tank was a little harsh it got better and i definitely got my addiction satisfied (this time could get full days only vaping and no need to smoke some cigarettes between). But there is some problems:

1- economically is a little more expensive because every change on flavor as to be a new tank/resistance, the nic salt juice it's only sell in 10mg bottle and i'm new and want to try a lot of flavors
2- The flavor itself is almost none at least in my experience in this pod

Addiction part is done. So i thought it's time to invest on better hardware to improve the experience and be complete satisfied. I now have a Vandy Vape Jackaroo with a Ares 2 and can't vape in it. Every time it hurts my lungs and immediately a cough so strong that i think i will get permanent damage
Tried always between 10W and 20W, first with the 1 ohm coil provided, then with the provided wire built a 1.4 ohm and got no better. Already tried less air, with the more air it seems to not be so concentrated but still the same result. I will try to dilute to 10 mg/ml or accept defeat on vaping and sell everything to get some money back.
What am i doing wrong???? because i read a lot of people with rta system with higger nic salt concentrations saying it's fine.
Sorry the long threat, but it´s the only way to explain my all situation. I'm hopping that someone can help me because beside the low flavor it felt good to be free of conventional tobacco even that was for a short time

Attachments

• 121232397_1212315272462167_1813854322203754581_n.jpg
    121232397_1212315272462167_1813854322203754581_n.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 53

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
When I went from a pod with 35mg per ml to a tank style, I had to drop down to about 6 mg per ml, but that soon went to 3mg. I also needed to increase the VG %.
The ratio of PG to VG in a juice will change the harshness, but more VG will make the vapor thicker too. The ares tank you have may not be the one for you either, but the jackaroo can use most any topper, so long as it takes a 510 connection.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,
sorry to hear of your struggles.
IMO, lower your ARES 2 coil and thin the tails. Try to use between 6-10mg/ml juice in the ares 2.
If this is your first rebuildable, you might get the coil right in a few tries, but the art of proper wicking will take some practice.

Where are you located?

Cheers
I

OBarbas

Oct 11, 2020
When I went from a pod with 35mg per ml to a tank style, I had to drop down to about 6 mg per ml, but that soon went to 3mg. I also needed to increase the VG %.
The ratio of PG to VG in a juice will change the harshness, but more VG will make the vapor thicker too. The ares tank you have may not be the one for you either, but the jackaroo can use most any topper, so long as it takes a 510 connection.
So this tank is bad to use nic salts? I really don't understand why it hurts because nic salts was supposed not to hurt like freebase nic. In the pod at the beginning it hurts my lungs too but the it got smoother. I guess I can try to vape some clean juice with no nic to test the difference and see if the fault is in the nic concentration.
By the way what tank would you recommend?

Reactions: stols001

OBarbas

Oct 11, 2020
Hi and welcome,
sorry to hear of your struggles.
IMO, lower your ARES 2 coil and thin the tails. Try to use between 6-10mg/ml juice in the ares 2.
If this is your first rebuildable, you might get the coil right in a few tries, but the art of proper wicking will take some practice.

Where are you located?

Cheers
I
Yeah as soon as I made it I saw that it's not a very beautiful looking coil. But could get de higger ohm needed for nic salt, at least what people say. But I can't vape it anyway. I will try to make a new coil and try to dilute the nic.
I'm in Portugal

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
So this tank is bad to use nic salts?

It's not bad for salts, it's just not really meant to be used with high concentration nicotine. I own one and it's an OK tank, perfect for beginners. However, I didn't care for the coil and the wire (26g) that come with the tank. It works--for me--much better with 28g kanthal wire because I can vape at lower wattages and and still enjoy relatively fast ramp-up time. Can you get a spool of thinner resistance wire, kanthal or stainless steel (316L)?

May I suggest an interim solution? Since you already have a nice mod, get a Zlide tank and a few boxes of 1.6Ω drop-in coils. I love my Zlide, the coils are very good, and this setup will help you transition from pods to RTAs, which, while economical in the long run, can be frustrating for a new vaper.

Also, watch Phil's tutorial on your Ares 2 if you haven't already.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Hello
I was convinced to try vaping to quit smoking so i tried with a Vaporesso PodStick with a juice of 25mg with a 10mg of freebase nic. But that wasn't working very well because besides the scratch on the throat i had to be always vaping.
So i got my hands in some 20mg/ml nic salts ready to vape. The first one was Milky Way by Monosalts and besides the first half tank was a little harsh it got better and i definitely got my addiction satisfied (this time could get full days only vaping and no need to smoke some cigarettes between). But there is some problems:

1- economically is a little more expensive because every change on flavor as to be a new tank/resistance, the nic salt juice it's only sell in 10mg bottle and i'm new and want to try a lot of flavors
2- The flavor itself is almost none at least in my experience in this pod

Addiction part is done. So i thought it's time to invest on better hardware to improve the experience and be complete satisfied. I now have a Vandy Vape Jackaroo with a Ares 2 and can't vape in it. Every time it hurts my lungs and immediately a cough so strong that i think i will get permanent damage
Tried always between 10W and 20W, first with the 1 ohm coil provided, then with the provided wire built a 1.4 ohm and got no better. Already tried less air, with the more air it seems to not be so concentrated but still the same result. I will try to dilute to 10 mg/ml or accept defeat on vaping and sell everything to get some money back.
What am i doing wrong???? because i read a lot of people with rta system with higger nic salt concentrations saying it's fine.
Sorry the long threat, but it´s the only way to explain my all situation. I'm hopping that someone can help me because beside the low flavor it felt good to be free of conventional tobacco even that was for a short time

Ok... There are a few questions I have before I can accurately answer your question.

1 , what wire are you using? (What gauge, material, and any other special type of info, like clapton, etc.)
2 , how many wraps are you making your coils? Pictures would be helpful.
3, Do you know what a dry hit is? are you getting a dry hit?
4, what kind of base are you using? VG/PG mix, pure PG,

My first suggestion, would be to build a lower ohm coil. Try making a .5 ohm coil, and running that at 10 watts to start off with.. then raise it until you get the vapor production you want. When you go to RTAs, you WILL go through failures. You need to find what kind of wire, what kind of juice, and what wattage will fit your own. After a while of playing with it, you will learn what you need to change to get closer to a vapor you are comfortable with.

For me, I personally have a .37 ohm clapton coil in my atomizer.. I've had the same coil for about 4-5 months. once a week, I will change out the cotton and clean the coil and tank... and continue using the same coil. I vape at only 20 watts. Oddly enough, the coil gets warm enough for a decent vape, but not a cloud chasing vape. I use 6mg freebase nic juice I make myself, but use a max VG blend. low throat hit, just a tad bit of heat, and a medium amount of vapor.. enough to where I can stealth vape if I so choose.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Just be patient and understand that finding your sweet spot as far as build/wire/wick/airflow includes trial and error. Keep a juice you like in the pod and as suggested play with coil height and diameter. Getting the Zlide tank is a good idea, you can use it while improving your building skills. Vaping isn't as easy as smoking but well worth the effort to learn what works for you.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would suggest a Zenith honestly. They have a wide range of coils and drop-ins are far easier. The 1.8 coil would be good with nic salts (AT the right percentage.) The Ares 2 from what I heard is a pretty tight MTL vape. You may be using too much cotton and getting dry hits. It's something you could come back to in a bit.

BTW-- regarding your desire to try a lot of flavors and use nicsalts? You can buy a nicsalt base from many DIY juice outlets (you dilute it with PG/VG and then add the flavors of your choice. It winds up being far less expensive and also, you have tons of options are you aren't worrying so much about flavor changes.... which you can, by the way, do without changing a coil. You can make or get a complimentary flavor, etc. and vape through, etc.

Try here for more info, vaping is worth it! I used River Supply for nic salts and I was very happy with them. I use freebase now but in the beginning seemed like nic salts were less harsh AT the right percentage in the right tank.

DIY E-Liquid

Anna

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
So this tank is bad to use nic salts? I really don't understand why it hurts because nic salts was supposed not to hurt like freebase nic. In the pod at the beginning it hurts my lungs too but the it got smoother. I guess I can try to vape some clean juice with no nic to test the difference and see if the fault is in the nic concentration.
By the way what tank would you recommend?

I prefer nic salts at higher levels in a lower watt Myles set up. Regular nic I use at 6 mg/ml in most of my gear.

And ymmv, but it’s find the salts @25 mg/ml give me a quick fix, but at low watts and Mel I don’t get much flavor, and I can’t vape like that all day. That is strictly for the first blast of the day, or when I cannot just vape leisurely at will.

I find the craving comes back more quickly with salts than it does with regular nic.

I know this all sounds so complicated and specific to me (well that part is true) but all I did was try different styles to see what worked.

Sounds like you’re past the hard part, you’re not smoking. Now you just need to tweak. Good luck!

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@OBarbas, I was thinking that your coil looked a little high in your photo. And a high coil is great for throat hit but looses flavour, but lower the coil flavour should appear and the throat hit will be reduced.

Optimal coil distance from the airflow is around approx 1-2mm.

And Salts can be used with all setups, you just have to tailor the level accordingly.

OBarbas

Oct 11, 2020
Now that passed 2 days the same liquid in the tank i could vape a little without that strong pain and choke and still no flavor. Either way i made a new coil, new cotton same 2 days liquid and the same can vape with careful to not get too much of heat and no flavor i think it taste more to metal and i can't even know what is the taste of the liquid.
I was about to bought the zlide or the zenith but i have to change the coil if i change flavor and the problem is the 10 ml bottle limit in nic salts i believe it's even illegal for stores to sell here in Portugal, i have to buy online from Spain. 1 coil every 10 ml looks expensive and thought that rta was the solution (never thought that it would be the problem)

Attachments

• Coil before.jpg
    Coil before.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 52
  • New coil.jpg
    New coil.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 51
  • After some vape on new.jpg
    After some vape on new.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Tropic mango.jpg
    Tropic mango.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Optimistic

OBarbas

Oct 11, 2020
Ok... There are a few questions I have before I can accurately answer your question.

1 , what wire are you using? (What gauge, material, and any other special type of info, like clapton, etc.)
2 , how many wraps are you making your coils? Pictures would be helpful.
3, Do you know what a dry hit is? are you getting a dry hit?
4, what kind of base are you using? VG/PG mix, pure PG,

My first suggestion, would be to build a lower ohm coil. Try making a .5 ohm coil, and running that at 10 watts to start off with.. then raise it until you get the vapor production you want. When you go to RTAs, you WILL go through failures. You need to find what kind of wire, what kind of juice, and what wattage will fit your own. After a while of playing with it, you will learn what you need to change to get closer to a vapor you are comfortable with.

For me, I personally have a .37 ohm clapton coil in my atomizer.. I've had the same coil for about 4-5 months. once a week, I will change out the cotton and clean the coil and tank... and continue using the same coil. I vape at only 20 watts. Oddly enough, the coil gets warm enough for a decent vape, but not a cloud chasing vape. I use 6mg freebase nic juice I make myself, but use a max VG blend. low throat hit, just a tad bit of heat, and a medium amount of vapor.. enough to where I can stealth vape if I so choose.
I use the provided in the tank, 26 kanthal wire, i give it about 10 wraps that give 1.3 to 1.4 ohm
I don't know if it is dry its, the cotton was well wet before mounting but really can't tell. I use 50/50 20mg/ml flavor nic salt. right now is "tropic mango" by "i love salts"

• Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You don't have to change the coil every time you change flavors!

Lets say you go from lemon-blueberry to raspberry-blackberry just top up the tank with the new juice, enjoy the interesting blend for a while.

I mean yeah, there might be a problem if you went from glazed donut to menthol-tobacco but you don't HAVE to do that.

Also.... There is this thing called (no matter the size of the bottle) called "Buying more than one of the same flavor you like."

To be fair, the Zenith coils are quite durable even under high gunknig conditions but gosh if you needed to and could get 50 ml of liquid through a coil, well buy five bottles then.

Really.
Anna

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I was about to bought the zlide or the zenith but i have to change the coil if i change flavor and the problem is the 10 ml bottle limit in nic salts i believe it's even illegal for stores to sell here in Portugal, i have to buy online from Spain. 1 coil every 10 ml looks expensive and thought that rta was the solution (never thought that it would be the problem)

You don't have to change the coil when you change flavors. You can easily rinse your coil under warm running water to get rid of the residual eliquid and let it air dry. Or you can fill your tank with ~2-3ml of unflavored eliquid (PG , VG or mix, with or without nicotine) and vape that (you'll still get some flavor from your vape, albeit diluted) and that will clean your coil also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread