ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
So I pulled the trigger and got the Dovpo topside squonk 90w mod
but it's eating through my 18650's so looks like it's time to get a 21700
looked at mooch's list and am debating between Samsung 30T or Golisi S35
or do you think there is a better option?
And I'm cheap :p so also not some expensive batteries....
I've found the Samsung 30T for $7.99 and the Golisi S35 for $6.99
I'd like to stay under $9/battery

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Honestly I would be concerned as much about the brand as where I buy them from regardless of price. $8 for that Samsung seems a bit cheap for a reputable dealer to have them for unless some big crazy sale. Just make sure you are getting the real thing.

Seems a reasonable price. IMR Batteries and Li-ion Batteries are reputable suppliers on Mooch's list.

Samsung 30T 21700 3000mAh 35A Battery - IMRbatteries.com - $7.99
Samsung 30T 21700 35A Flat Top 3000mAh Battery - Genuine – Liion ... $8.79

I have no experience with the larger than 18650 batteries, so no help from me. :)

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
well jesh what good are you for then :p :lol:
joking, you've helped so much with everything else :thumbs:

stepping out of my comfort zone again, this dang mod has ate through my sony vtc6

totally killed my Samsung 25r's and LG HD4's but those batteries are older and were already starting to lose charge but the vtc6's are new and have done beautifully in other mods but not in this bad boy, they are dead in 2 hours :nah:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I use Vapecell INR 21700 30A 4000mAh batteries. They are not cheap, but for my uses the word 'cheap' is not acceptable when it comes to batteries.

vapecell21700.jpg

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
If you are burning through 3000 mAh 18650's the 3000 mAh 21700's are not going to last you any longer... Turn the power down of get a dual battery squonker.
good point, i forgot that the sony's are 3000mah...ug....well dang it....
I'm usually between 15 - 20w...it's not like i'm cranking it up here, i'm more of a tootle puffer

maybe there's an issue with the firmware? It's whatever the factory set is... I looked at their site and they have other firmware to install TC mode and stuff....

bubba106

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2018
good point, i forgot that the sony's are 3000mah...ug....well dang it....
I'm usually between 15 - 20w...it's not like i'm cranking it up here, i'm more of a tootle puffer

maybe there's an issue with the firmware? It's whatever the factory set is... I looked at their site and they have other firmware to install TC mode and stuff....
At that low wattage I would think that they should last longer than 2 hours, something doesn't sound right.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You might need to do a firmware update, if available. Try to determine what the chips's low voltage cutoff point is. If its only 3.7 volts then the chip is shutting down prematurely. If you can increase the low voltage cutoff to 3.2 volts then you'll get some additional run time.

I had a similar problem with a couple of my mods. Dual battery Segelei Fuscia and triple battery RX200 were both cutting off after a little more than a days use at 30 watts. Then I got a days use with my single battery JAC Vapour DNA75W.

Same Samsung 30Q 3000mah 15 amp batteries and same 30 watts setting. Mooch said he couldn't say for sure, but the likely explanation was the battery voltage cutoff point was set too high in the Segelei and RX200.

Last edited:

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
hm...so I've tried updating the firmware but it doesn't work....you have to remove the atty and battery....hold the + and - keys plug in the usb and wait until the start button is available on the software....but it never connects....I've tried different cords....nothing....
held the buttons for several minutes and even my pc doesn't try to install new device....
so I don't know, seems like this mod is a bit messed up.... guess it's time to contact the seller

thanks for your help though :) guess it's really not a battery issue so much as bad firmware or something

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Yeah, those are supposed to be 40t rewraps, but now you can get the actual 40t for cheaper.

I never heard the 40T rewrap thing, but then I don't stay on top of the endless batt talk (I tend to do the homework when in the market for new batts).

My data shows Mooch was testing pre 40T's in mid July 2018 (I bought these in June).

Reactions: stols001

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
hm...so I've tried updating the firmware but it doesn't work....you have to remove the atty and battery....hold the + and - keys plug in the usb and wait until the start button is available on the software....but it never connects....I've tried different cords....nothing....
held the buttons for several minutes and even my pc doesn't try to install new device....
so I don't know, seems like this mod is a bit messed up.... guess it's time to contact the seller

thanks for your help though :) guess it's really not a battery issue so much as bad firmware or something

There is lots of banter about the firmware issues in the Topsides - the early wrong cable snafu, the hit or miss firmware updates and the how to's/procedures to get around them etc at:
Topside squonker from Dovpo

Unfortunately it's spread thru 20 something pages you'll have to weed thru.

I have 3 Topsides that were shipped in the early batches where some of them had some issues (including the wrong cable). Dovpo had QC issues and has CS issues. I got the right cables with mine, but I didn't update my firmware since I only run them in wattage mode. Over 3 months of daily/nightly use and mine all still work just fine for my uses just as they came. I run them with very low sub ohm builds at mid-higher wattage in Mesh RDA's taking DLH's, a vaping style that is a battery and joose eater. I use quality 20700 and 21700 batts in them. Even with my vaping style my batts typically last considerably longer than the 2 hours you said, and I'm working them much harder than you are.

HTH

Last edited:

bubba106

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2018
I never heard the 40T rewrap thing, but then I don't stay on top of the endless batt talk (I tend to do the homework when in the market for new batts).

My data shows Mooch was testing pre 40T's in mid July 2018 (I bought these in June).
Mooch says that they are 40t rewraps, that's where I got the info.

Reactions: Letitia

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The firmware updating was annoying. I think it took me like 7 tries to get it right. Using a 40T as I don't go over 40W the 4000 mAh will get me through two days easy. If I use an 18650 25R with the sleeve I still get excellent battery life. I have zero idea what the problem might be for you and all the firmware update did was add TC features. There's a new one for the Topside dual out or coming out but no idea what it will add to the original Topside other than a puff counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread