The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Need percentages for these 2 flavors

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by KEn Nicklowicz, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. IDJoel

IDJoel Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    That would be correct; increasing flavor concentration (percentage) would/will have a lesser impact:
    upload_2018-2-6_15-33-55.png
    In this case, it calls for adding only 1.702mL of flavor, to get the flavor percentage from 2% to 6%. This is a 4.26% increase (1.702mL divided by 40mL = 0.04255 or 4.255%) in total volume. A 4.26% dilution of 12mg/mL nic is only 0.5112mg/mL (4.26% of 12mg/mL = 0.5112mg.mL). So, this leaves a final nic level of slightly less than 11.5mg/mL (12mg/mL minus 0.5112 = 11.4888mg/mL). Maybe some folks would detect that small of a loss; but I would not be able to.

However, because @KEn Nicklowicz' example was fixing an over-flavored recipe, it has a much greater impact. Because, instead of a 4.26% dilution, there is a 66.66% dilution (12mg/mL -->11.49mg/mL vs. 12mg/mL --> 4mg/mL). That I would notice! :eek::D

This example provides a good visual why it can be better to start with low flavor percentages... and tweak upward; vs. starting high and having to tweak downward. It results in a lot more volume (potentially wasted material).

It also demonstrates why small test batches are beneficial. If one starts with a 40mL sample size... and makes an over-flavoring error (as in the example), all of a sudden you can have 4 ounces (120mL) of something that still may not be enjoyed, even though it is now "correct." I personally find 10-15mL samples to be plenty.:D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.