Need PT advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adja

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
Michigan
I received my first round of equipment and supplies today, which included the auto PT from V4L.

I am so excited to get this, have been waiting since Saturday. Am literally dying to get off of analogs.

But I can't seem to get it to work correctly. Or at least I don't think it is working correctly. When I plug it in to my laptop, I can hear a slight sizzling sound begin after a second or two, then I can get one good hit, then the sizzling sound stops, and no matter what I do it will not hit again unless I unplug it from the laptop and then plug it back in. If I do that, it will immediately start to sizzle again and provide one good hit, then nothing.

I was reading the forum, and I went into power options on my laptop and turned off the power saver function for the USB port, so I don't think that is the problem. Plus, the PT works for literally only 10 seconds or so before stopping, so it couldn't be timing out that quickly, could it?

Any advice is appreciated. I really want to make this work.

BTW, I only ordered the PT to start (because I was so torn between manual and automatic, and I didn't want to committ to either one with a big starter kit without at least trying one or the other), so I have no other options to use while I wait for some other equipment to arrive. I am already thinking that maybe automatic is not the best way to go, but I am hesitant to order a manual PT now unless I make sure it is not a USB issue.

Thanks to all here for all of your help!

Adja

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
Michigan
Sigh . . . I rushed to the desktop filled with hope, but no go. Same thing there as with the laptop. I timed it. The PT works for 7 seconds then nothing. Unplug it, plug it back in, and I get another 7 seconds.

So, if the PT doesn't work in ANY USB port for more than 7 seconds (laptop or desktop), should I assume that the PT is defective? Or is it possible that I am doing something wrong?

Thanks again.

Adja

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
Michigan
Should I also mention that the small amount of vapor that I get in the 7 seconds is extremely harsh, and almost always causes extreme coughing?

I started trying with a 18mg cartomizer, then switched to an 11mg, but it is still very harsh. Sadly, I didn't order any cartomizers under 11mg. The cola flavor seems like the least harsh of what I have.

Darrigaaz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
New Mexico, USA
One more question... When you say the PT sizzles, do you mean the carto attached to it is sizzling? Or do you mean the actual PT without a carto on it is sizzling?

If the PT is sizzling, you DEFINITELY have a defective PT. If the carto is what is sizzling, it sounds like you most likely got a defective PT with the switch stuck in the ON position.

As for the harshness... I found that 18mg was too harsh for me when I first started vaping. Yet my friend who started at the same time started on 18mg and it was perfect for him. I went to 8mg and was fine. The lower the mg, the less harsh MOST of the flavors tended to be. There are still a few flavors (like Nuport) that are too harsh for me even at 8mg. To cut the harshness a bit, get a bottle of USP Glycerin at a local Walmart and put a few drops into the carto. It'll lower the nic str and flavor, but it'll smooth out the harshness until you can get used to vaping. MAKE SURE IT SAYS USP ON THE BOTTLE <---CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH

vaping is not completely like smoking. There's an adjustment period that your body will have to use to go from cig smoke to nic vapor. Give it a couple days of vaping, and you'll adapt to how it feels. It's normal, and not something to be worried about. You are going to have to take slow drags vs the quick pulls you are probably used to. After a while, your lungs will clear up, and you'll be able to take long, very satisfying drags. My first few days on the ecig was filled with 2-3 puffs. Within a month, I was able to take 10-15 sec puffs even after running a mile right before.

Adja

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
Michigan
Thanks so much for all of the advice! It is the cartomizer that is making the slight sizzling sound, not the PT. I am so bummed about this being defective. I have been counting the minutes since Saturday night when I placed my order, and now I still can't get started vaping.

The advice on adding a couple of drops of USP Glycerine to the cartomizers is appreciated. I will try that. I was thinking of trying to wash one out and replace it with different juice (I ordered some 8mg juice for refilling), but there doesn't seem to be much of a point doing that right this moment when I can't really give it a good try anyway.

Hopefully one of the reps from V4L will read this and come to my rescue. :)

Thanks again, Darrigaaz!

MikeyB

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2010
GA
Your laptop doesn't have the power required to drive the cartomizer. The PTC is doing its job and shutting down the port.

You might try switching USB ports. If that doesn't work, get a AC -> USB adapter that provides at LEAST 2A, 3A preferable.

LOL REALLY...all USBs supply the same power if they are 2.0, it might drain his laptops battery more but it is not going to change from PC to laptop. USB's are made to the same standards, you don't break those standards due to it being a laptop, it still has to run the same devices that a PC does, or there would be no use for it...

Original poster - call V4L let them know they will ship you a new PT, I had the same issue with my last one, the pin inside the PT might be stuck, either way it is most likely just faulty, ask for a manual and hope you enjoy vaping!:toast:

x3x

ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
california
I ordered a manual pt last month and it was the same as yours, no bzz sound when smoke or even vapor come out...i plug it in my laptop, desktop, and even the usb adapter and still no luck. I call customer service and they promise to send me one as replacement. I got it 4 days later and BLAH ! NO GOOD !! lolz. I sent both PT back and ask for a short batty as exchange.

Pawpaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
North Texas
LOL REALLY...all USBs supply the same power if they are 2.0, it might drain his laptops battery more but it is not going to change from PC to laptop. USB's are made to the same standards, you don't break those standards due to it being a laptop, it still has to run the same devices that a PC does, or there would be no use for it...

In a perfect world, yes. Unfortunately, we live in a world that is FAR from perfect.

If your assumption were true, why will a PT with a Premium carto not work on the built-in port (on the side) of my work laptop, but work perfectly well on the same laptop's port replicator? On the built-in port, I get a message that a USB device is using too much power and the port is being shut down.

This laptop is a business class machine from a high-end manufacturer. The port replicator is from the same company and is designed specifically for this laptop.

I'm not trying to slam you. Just pointing out that your assumption does not hold up to nearly 40 years of professional experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread