Need Recommendation On A Quality Charging Brick That Can Do 2.1amps Guaranteed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
I have an xtar VC4 and looking for a Quality 2.1amp wall charger to go with it. Everyone i buy does not produce the 2.1 amp claimed because the VC4 wont allow me to charge at its full capacity without seeing a drop in the 1amp gauge on the VC4? Money is no concern.
EDIT: i have the Gator cable 2.1 wall charger and the Wireless Gear 2.1 wall charger nether work as advertised

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I recently replaced my old Efest LUC4 charger because the old one broke a spring in a bay after years of use. I bought the 2018 LUC V4 and it came with a 2A wall charger.

I have an xtar VC4 and I use an aftermarket USB wall charger that's rated for 3.1A. It still won't charge all 4 bays at 2A, but I'm happy with 1A charging. Only the outer bays charge at 1A. The inner bays charge at .5A.

You'll find that some USB devices won't pull the rated amperage from any wall charger because there's a current limiting circuit built into the device. I have that problem with my VC4 charger. My cell phones only pull 1A from any of my wall chargers that are rated higher. I measured the current draw with my DROK meter. You plug it inline between the device and the USB wall wart. It's less than 10 bucks and will reveal the amp draw and voltage charge rate going to your device.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multime...3996743&sr=1-13&keywords=drok+current+ammeter

61W5M7uIHfL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
I recently replaced my old Efest LUC4 charger because the old one broke a spring in a bay after years of use. I bought the 2018 LUC V4 and it came with a 2A wall charger.

I have an Xtar VC4 and I use an aftermarket USB wall charger that's rated for 3.1A. It still won't charge all 4 bays at 2A, but I'm happy with 1A charging.

You'll find that some devices won't pull the rated amperage from any wall charger because there's a current limiting circuit built into the device. I have that problem with my VC4 charger. My cell phones only pull 1A from any of my wall chargers that are rated higher. I measured the current draw with my DROK meter. You plug it inline between the device and the USB wall wart.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multime...3996743&sr=1-13&keywords=drok+current+ammeter

61W5M7uIHfL._SL1200_.jpg
So i need something highere rated? Like 3.1+amp wall charger?

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So i need something highere rated? Like 3.1+amp wall charger?

As Pufon said, you may have a flaky connection from the wall wart. Try rotating it back and forth and watch the displays. Still, I don't think you'll ever get 1A charging on more than 2 bays. Another caveat is that only the outer bays will charge at 1A. The inner bays charge at .5A. With all 4 bays filled charge is limited to .5A on each bay.

The Xtar VC4 will charge two outer bays at 1A or all 4 bays at .5A. That's the reason I replaced my old Efest LUC 4 with a new one when it broke a bay spring. The Efest LUC 4 will charge all 4 bays at one at 1A. It's a workhorse 4 bay charger that only costs twenty something bucks. I paid $22 for mine from Ebay.

Reading the review below may give you some insight.

Review of Charger Xtar VC4

Last edited:

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
I use the Xtar 2.1 wall wort with the VC4.
I've always had that problem.
I believe it's a connection issue.
Try unplugging/replugging the cord, starting with the USB at the brick.
Keep the connections clean.

As Pufon said, you may have a flaky connection from the wall wart. Try rotating it back and forth and watch the displays. Still, I don't think you'll ever get 1A charging on more than 2 bays. Another caveat is that only the outer bays will charge at 1A. The inner bays charge at .5A. With all 4 bays filled charge is limited to .5A on each bay.

The Xtar VC4 will charge two outer bays at 1A or all 4 bays at .5A. That's the reason I replaced my old Efest LUC 4 with a new one The Efest LUC 4 will charge all 4 bays at one at 1A.

Reading the review below may give you some insight.

Review of Charger Xtar VC4
Well friends that seem to fix the problem! I cleaned the connections and roated the wall adaptor and it works! The thing is over 2 years old didnt think to clean the connections! Its now showing the proper amps to the batteries! Thanks for saving me time and money!

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
I
Well friends that seem to fix the problem! I cleaned the connections and roated the wall adaptor and it works! The thing is over 2 years old didnt think to clean the connections! Its now showing the proper amps to the batteries! Thanks for saving me time and money!
Will report back if anything changes! Thanks again!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

I noticed the same thing with my VC4. Cleaning and twisting the connections would make the charger rate jump back up. I guess the springs in the charger don't put enough force to maintain sufficient current flow.

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
I noticed the same thing with my VC4. Cleaning and twisting the connections would make the charger rate jump back up. I guess the springs in the charger don't put enough force to maintain sufficient current flow.
I guess so. maybe i should look into buy another charger? In case this one finally dies lol

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I guess so. maybe i should look into buy another charger? In case this one finally dies lol

You can't go wrong with the Efest LUC 4. It will charge all 4 bays at once with a 1A charge. The VC4 has a really informative display, but it can't do all 4 bays at 1A. I have both.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I throw my new charger in as a recommendation-Miboxer C4-12. Will charge 3amps across all 4-bays and has lots of room to fit all 21700’s with ease. I’m super happy with mine and it is under $40 so it’s not real expensive. I believe mooch is testing one for his charger reviews so if you’re not in a hurry you could wait to see what he says but from my use it is a really nice charger.

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
You can't go wrong with the Efest LUC 4. It will charge all 4 bays at once with a 1A charge. The VC4 has a really informative display, but it can't do all 4 bays at 1A. I have both.
I still have only used the original lcd LUC 4, and just couldn’t stop using it for the fancy Xtars as it was the best budget/quality charger to deliver 1A to 4 bays at once. My Xtar VP4 would max out at .5A if 4 battery’s were charging.... I couldn’t bear to have those old school Nitecores years back that only delivered about .7A at its fastest rate... Everything else was nice except that charge rate..

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I still have only used the original lcd LUC 4, and just couldn’t stop using it for the fancy Xtars as it was the best budget/quality charger to deliver 1A to 4 bays at once. My Xtar VP4 would max out at .5A if 4 battery’s were charging.... I couldn’t bear to have those old school Nitecores years back that only delivered about .7A at its fastest rate... Everything else was nice except that charge rate..

I just received my Zanfare C4 in the last week. It has already taken the place of my LUC4 because it can charge all 4 bays at 1A and has diagnostic features like internal resistance measurement and MAH testing. It shows charge rate, voltage, MAH, and time while charging. The Internal resistance and MAH test were the two features that sold me and made me buy it. Construction and design are both top notch. $29.95 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Za...F8&qid=1535636704&sr=8-2&keywords=zanflare+c4

Good Candlepower forum review here.
[REVIEW] Zanflare C4 (Multi-functional Smart Battery Charger and Analyzer)

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyConti
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread