Need some guidance with first ever build and it's SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riplea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2010
IL
At the risk of showing my ignorance where there is much on this subject. I just wrapped my first coil ever. I used 316L 28 gauge SS. Wrapped about 8 times coils lose on 2.5 gauge coiler. Put it into a Digiflavor siren gta. Trying to use my Pico in temp. Control in SS setting. I think I have it right....

It is showing .92 ohms, running at 20watts and max temp at 400F. vape is still a little cool from what I am used to and not that great of flavor. When I vape it the Temp protection comes on. Using maybe 5-6 second draw. It pops once in awhile if I repeatedly vape it and scares me. Is the popping normal?

This is a max 75 watt mod. What does watts have to do with temperature control? When I looked at this build on Steam Engine it suggested 20w.

I think I just understand enough to be dangerous to myself.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Popping can happen to any build. It's fine. 20W on a 0.9 ohm single SS coil should be fine. Hitting temp protect is not an error, it's simply telling you it's doing the job. You probably want to work up 10 degrees at a time to see what temp fits you, and your juice best. Folks are all different, but I'm usually in the 420-450F range for much of my builds.

Oh, watts and temperature. What you're doing by setting 20W is telling the mod "OK, I want 400F but don't use more than 20W to get there". As it is already hitting temp protect, that means 20W is more than sufficient to reach your target temperature. If you were using say some dual coil Clapton build at 0.2 ohm, you might well need 40-50W to reach the temps you want.

And you are not endangering yourself.:)

Just play around with it until you feel it's in a nice place for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread