Need suggestions for a good MTL build on my Kayfun Prime - replicating my Nautilus 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kore

Mar 7, 2018
Germany
Hey guys,
after some lurking I finally want to bother you with a question. Hope this is the right subforum.

I am mostly doing MTL and after being very happy with my nautilus 2 (loving both coils, mostly using the 0.7 ones) I recently started to get into rebuildables. I got myself a Kayfun Prime and I'm trying to replicate the flavor and throat hit I get out of my nautilus.

Right now I'm using a 2.5mm 28ga Kanthal build with 6 wraps which comes out at about 1.1 Ohm. While flavor is great, it's still not quite as strong as on my Nautilus and the biggest difference is the throat hit which is much weaker.

I heard the Kayfun runs best at about 1.5 Ohms, is that true? Is there any build or wire you guys can recommend? I have tried some different 28ga builds I found on here, all between 0.8 and 1.3 Ohms but still nothing beats my Nautilus right now.

So I'm eager to try out something else or to pick up another kind of wire and I'd be very glad if you could share your builds.

Cheers!

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, you can try some different builds and you may get closer to your desires, but part of the problem is you are comparing an RTA to a drop in coil tank, and they tend to be somewhat of a different quality of vape, regardless of build. I would try using a coil of similar resistance to your "favored" N2 coil and tweak from there, but the bottom line is you likely won't get an identical vape... Although you may find yourself actually liking it better as you proceed, or not.

Good luck,

Anna

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
Yes, you can try some different builds and you may get closer to your desires, but part of the problem is you are comparing an RTA to a drop in coil tank, and they tend to be somewhat of a different quality of vape, regardless of build. I would try using a coil of similar resistance to your "favored" N2 coil and tweak from there, but the bottom line is you likely won't get an identical vape... Although you may find yourself actually liking it better as you proceed, or not.

Good luck,

Anna
You know what? You are like a 'push in the water' :)

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
You know what? You are like a 'push in the water' :)

I don't actually understand that phrase.... But I hope it doesn't mean something TERRIBLE. LOL. :)

Anna
I have no idea what that expression means either :lol:. I am however due to get a couple SXK Prime alikes delivered this Thursday, so I'd love suggestions on a flavor chasing coil and wicking build for these tanks. I have on hand SS316L in 26 ga and 28 ga. I've been using Rayon most recently, though have cotton as well.

kore

Mar 7, 2018
Germany
I am however due to get a couple SXK Prime alikes delivered this Thursday, so I'd love suggestions on a flavor chasing coil and wicking build for these tanks. I have on hand SS316L in 26 ga and 28 ga. I've been using Rayon most recently, though have cotton as well.

Ah, just replied to you on your thread about MTL tanks. Good to hear you have gone for the Prime, and while the SXK is fine for it's price I'd recommend you to also get a YFTK one! I liked that one even more and it's about $18 only. It's very close to my authentic Prime. See below for my build/wicking advice:)

Good luck,

Anna

You're spot on, and after several different builds and wicks I have now found something that is quite different from my Nautilus 2 but tastes even better. Turns out it wasn't the coil itself but my wicking and the positioning of the coil. I switched from rayon to both Cotton Bacon V2 and Japanese Puff cotton and went for a little bit tighter wick but I've trimmed the excess cotton much more than before. I did almost the same as PBusardo did in his Kayfun Prime review. Also I raised up the coil for about 5mm, that made a huge difference!

My coils are either Kanthal A1 28ga with 7.5 wraps on 2.5mm or SS316L 28ga with 9-10 wraps at 2.5mm.

I might have overwhelmed myself a bit with all of this buildable stuff lol, getting several different MTLs and 3 different Primes while having only vaped on prebuilt coils... Well, now I got it where I want it.

So, to sum it up, a simple Kanthal or SS coil with anything between 26-30ga will be just fine - the wicking is the most important part. PBusardos review is great to get an idea!

Cheers for your all of your comments and suggestions!

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
Ah, just replied to you on your thread about MTL tanks. Good to hear you have gone for the Prime, and while the SXK is fine for it's price I'd recommend you to also get a YFTK one! I liked that one even more and it's about $18 only. It's very close to my authentic Prime. See below for my build/wicking advice:)

You're spot on, and after several different builds and wicks I have now found something that is quite different from my Nautilus 2 but tastes even better. Turns out it wasn't the coil itself but my wicking and the positioning of the coil. I switched from rayon to both Cotton Bacon V2 and Japanese Puff cotton and went for a little bit tighter wick but I've trimmed the excess cotton much more than before. I did almost the same as PBusardo did in his Kayfun Prime review. Also I raised up the coil for about 5mm, that made a huge difference!

My coils are either Kanthal A1 28ga with 7.5 wraps on 2.5mm or SS316L 28ga with 9-10 wraps at 2.5mm.

I might have overwhelmed myself a bit with all of this buildable stuff lol, getting several different MTLs and 3 different Primes while having only vaped on prebuilt coils... Well, now I got it where I want it.

So, to sum it up, a simple Kanthal or SS coil with anything between 26-30ga will be just fine - the wicking is the most important part. PBusardos review is great to get an idea!

Cheers for your all of your comments and suggestions!
Actually I have both YFTK and SXK coming, so it will be interesting to compare!

kore

Mar 7, 2018
Germany
Actually I have both YFTK and SXK coming, so it will be interesting to compare!

Great, let me know what you think! If you have any issues with leaking or similar, make sure to disassemble it, check if every O-ring sits tightly, reassemble it very tightly and lube up the O-rings with VG. (I was being pedantic about it and replaced every O-ring with the authentic ones, the spare part kit is about $5)

Enjoy your new stuff :)

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
Great, let me know what you think! If you have any issues with leaking or similar, make sure to disassemble it, check if every O-ring sits tightly, reassemble it very tightly and lube up the O-rings with VG. (I was being pedantic about it and replaced every O-ring with the authentic ones, the spare part kit is about $5)

Enjoy your new stuff :)
It's early days for me in vaping, but Anna (stols001) gave me the good advice to give a new tank a thorough washing before using, so I have since taken to disassembly, washing, checking and lubing those rings on each new tank prior to using them.

I'll be sure to pay particular attention on the Primes to the O-ring seating. I've watched the Busardo video and a few others on the Prime, which is helpful, but doing things hands on is always tricky at first, so I'll probably watch them again when they get here.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I gotta say, me and the Kayfuns don't get along so well. I'm pretty sure it was my wicking technique, that and I don't adore juice flow control tanks, to be honest. It's just one more thing I have to fiddle around with IMO. With that said, I didn't try extraordinarily hard because I had lots of RTAs working by then and giving me awesome flavor. I also don't think it's a fair comparison, really since I don't have an original. LOL, having an original may have given me much more motivation to figure out the magic of the kayfuns. I will say I only ever tried rayon wicking in there, and from what I've seen those having the best success with the Kayfuns are likely using cotton (the majority of them, anyway.) Someday, when I have time on my hands (and AFTER I successfully build my doggy style I hope) I may give my prime another go. I will say, even with the clone, you can see that the Kayfuns were quality devices.

I believe the claims about the "revolutionizing" MTL RTAs, it just so happens that I came along after that fact. Etc.

But, best of luck and it sounds like you are doing your homework. I did watch a few youtubers assembling the prime, but it seemed no matter what I tried, I just could get a wick to wick consistently.

I will probably revisit them at some point. I am on a purchase moratorium (except for nic) for a time, so I'll have plenty of time to revisit some of my "practice and fail) RTAs.

Anna

Reactions: stylemessiah

kore

Mar 7, 2018
Germany
New
I gotta say, me and the Kayfuns don't get along so well. I'm pretty sure it was my wicking technique, that and I don't adore juice flow control tanks, to be honest. It's just one more thing I have to fiddle around with IMO. With that said, I didn't try extraordinarily hard because I had lots of RTAs working by then and giving me awesome flavor. I also don't think it's a fair comparison, really since I don't have an original. LOL, having an original may have given me much more motivation to figure out the magic of the kayfuns. I will say I only ever tried rayon wicking in there, and from what I've seen those having the best success with the Kayfuns are likely using cotton (the majority of them, anyway.) Someday, when I have time on my hands (and AFTER I successfully build my doggy style I hope) I may give my prime another go. I will say, even with the clone, you can see that the Kayfuns were quality devices.

Weirdly enough, that was what confused me the most. I'm a greenhorn when it comes to vaping (quit smoking 3 months ago) and much more so building and wicking, but doing my research I found that, at least on paper, rayon sounded so much better. And on my Siren V2 and Hastur it works flawlessly. But somehow my Kayfun doesn't like it. Cotton just works way better but it needs to be trimmed and stuffed just right.

Also, not having an original doesn't have to take away from the experience at all. They are so well copied, it's amazing. Only issue with those Chinese clones is quality control and batch differences. There are some clone brands that are better than others, and even with a perfect clone there will be faulty ones. The thing you are paying over 100 bucks for is consistency and warranty, other than that I see no difference at all between my authentic and my 2 clones.

Now that being said, all of this talk about what's the best MTL tank/RTA I went through before purchasing my gear is really nitpicky. Every single one of the recently released MTL RTA work really well, flavour is great and they are all easy to build. I saw many people preferring a $25 Siren v2 from China to a premium RTA made in Germany. I guess it comes down to preference and I'm glad we all found what's working for us :)

yakaki

Apr 8, 2018
Hey guys,
after some lurking I finally want to bother you with a question. Hope this is the right subforum.

I am mostly doing MTL and after being very happy with my Nautilus 2 (loving both coils, mostly using the 0.7 ones) I recently started to get into rebuildables. I got myself a Kayfun Prime and I'm trying to replicate the flavor and throat hit I get out of my Nautilus.

Right now I'm using a 2.5mm 28ga Kanthal build with 6 wraps which comes out at about 1.1 Ohm. While flavor is great, it's still not quite as strong as on my Nautilus and the biggest difference is the throat hit which is much weaker.

I heard the Kayfun runs best at about 1.5 Ohms, is that true? Is there any build or wire you guys can recommend? I have tried some different 28ga builds I found on here, all between 0.8 and 1.3 Ohms but still nothing beats my Nautilus right now.

So I'm eager to try out something else or to pick up another kind of wire and I'd be very glad if you could share your builds.

Cheers!

I had the same question and problem!
I found out what worked best was 28ga kanthal, 2.5mm, 6-7 wraps @ 1.1ohm ever-so-slightly spaced coil, 1.5mm above the airflow hole.
But the thing that made the most difference is the wicking.
If I wick and there's popping - its probably not going to beat the nautilus. The wickings there are smoother, gave a better vaping experience than the nautlius2 by far.
Cotton wicking with some resistance inside the coil, and then trimming the ends about 30% (on a 2.5mm coil)
If I do it right, 1.5 turns of JFC gives bubbles which means the wick is not choking the juice flow with a 50/50 juice.
I noticed that more spaced coils give more popping, and generally micro coils gave me more consistent results.

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
I started out with my Prime clones with what I think may be the traditional approach - Plain wire (SS316L) at 28 Gauge between 1.0 and 1.5 Ohm coils wicked with cotton. It worked, though I was not crazy about the flavor. I have six clones, both SXK and YFTK versions. I started experimenting, based largely on various posts on this forum and YouTube videos.

First, I switched to Rayon, which I had previously done with my Siren 2's. Pretty tight in the coil, and quite a bit of haircut to the tails. Then after trial and much error, I wound up using Vandy Vape SS Superfine Fused Clapton wire which is 28*2/30 AWG. Also I have found lower Ohm builds to work much better for me in the Primes. I have made coils between .5 and .7 Ohms that seem to be in a sweet spot. Slightly spaced coils give me the best results.

This setup works well in either wattage or TC modes (and now Replay). I have not found any difference in the clones by maker other than markings. They work equally well for me. The quality of materials and machining in these Primes are an unbeatable bargain for what you can get them for. Nail down a favorite build and you are golden.

kore

Mar 7, 2018
Germany
I had the same question and problem!
I found out what worked best was 28ga kanthal, 2.5mm, 6-7 wraps @ 1.1ohm ever-so-slightly spaced coil, 1.5mm above the airflow hole.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, that's the coil build I'm using too now.

But the thing that made the most difference is the wicking.
If I wick and there's popping - its probably not going to beat the nautilus. The wickings there are smoother, gave a better vaping experience than the nautlius2 by far.
Cotton wicking with some resistance inside the coil, and then trimming the ends about 30% (on a 2.5mm coil)
If I do it right, 1.5 turns of JFC gives bubbles which means the wick is not choking the juice flow with a 50/50 juice.
I noticed that more spaced coils give more popping, and generally micro coils gave me more consistent results.

Actually it's been a little while since I posted this thread and I had figured this out now aswell. Wicking is key here, I wicked either too hard or too loose. Loud popping usually means there are spots of eliquid "exploding" due to uneven wicking. Too much cotton and you get muted flavour. Takes a couple of wicks to figure it out but now it's amazing.

Then after trial and much error, I wound up using Vandy Vape SS Superfine Fused Clapton wire which is 28*2/30 AWG. Also I have found lower Ohm builds to work much better for me in the Primes. I have made coils between .5 and .7 Ohms that seem to be in a sweet spot. Slightly spaced coils give me the best results.

This setup works well in either wattage or TC modes (and now Replay). I have not found any difference in the clones by maker other than markings. They work equally well for me. The quality of materials and machining in these Primes are an unbeatable bargain for what you can get them for. Nail down a favorite build and you are golden.

Cheers for the recommendation, I always used round wire because of availability but now I'm eager to try that fused clapton. Gonna order some right away.

Psihoza

Jun 8, 2018
Croatia
Exactly same start for me. Tried many atomizers and found Nautilus 2 the best. Tried KF Prime clone, hoping it will beat Nautilus. Took a few builds but I got it! So, for start I want to say Prime can beat Nautilus. Just spend some time yo find out how.

Im in no way expert, beginner actually, but currently what beats Nauti2 for me is: 26ga SS316L, 7 to 8 wraps arround 3mm, slightly spaced. 1.5mm up from the deck. VV cotton bacon v2. TC mode.

I'm chain vaper and take long puffs on very tight airflow. This build never gave me dry hit, never leaked, never popped. Nice thick vape with strong flavor. Much better than on Nauti2.

I'm testing for more :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Hey guys,

I am mostly doing MTL and after being very happy with my Nautilus 2 (loving both coils, mostly using the 0.7 ones) I recently started to get into rebuildables. I got myself a Kayfun Prime and I'm trying to replicate the flavor and throat hit I get out of my Nautilus.

Cheers!

No better hidden secret on this forum…

A fabulous vape in 30 seconds and no better method for an honest baseline. Vape memory is all too easily persuaded by shiny and me gots too.

Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.
Protank MicroCoil Discussion!

Then there's always chuckin' horseshoes. ;)

Good luck. :)

p.s. Think mass to wetted surface area. What does it get ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread