Need Suggestions for Introducing Vaping to Family Member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
My nephew's wife smokes about a pack a day of M'boro ultra light menthols a day. My nephew (an ex-smoker) bought her the EnJoys from a 7-11, which didn't float her boat at all. She is open to vaping, but I suspect reluctantly so, not 100% behind the idea.

So, I have a plan. I don't use my first starter kit anymore, the V4L auto XL's, so I will giver her those two batts and a charger. Now she tried my XL manual, with a 8mg Cowboy carto, and she thought it was too strong. I think part of that is not being used to how vaping hits the throat when you first start. I had a similar experience, but as I went along, I had to up my nicotine from 18's to 36's (3 PAD M'boro lights smoker).

So, I have to figure out what to get her in the way of cartos to get her started. I'd like to keep my cost at around $40. So, I'm talking 4 carto sets of 5 packs (I think). She is a menthol smoker, so I figure most of the cartos should be menthols, peppermints, Wowboy kinds of stuff.

If you had this choice to make, what would you order for her? Strictly talking V4L cartos... which sampler pack(s), what nicotine levels? 4mg and 8mg's? What flavors? Not being a menthol guy, I need some help. Any suggestions appreciated!

BTW.... they just had their first baby, she's 4 months now, and I'd love to see her mom quit (of course she does not smoke inside). I don't know if she was off the butts when she was pregnant, I think she cut down, but didn't quit, so she is somewhat of a hard case. I know all about that...

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
NoMatches sir I would suggest wow cowboy menthol, wow peppermint, smilin, and wowboy peppermint. The menthol sampler pack would be a good choice... The nicotine levels are the harder choice.... 8mg was only too much th?

Yes, when she said it was "too strong" I was pretty surprised, but she only took a few vapes. I remember my first few vapes, and the TH is different than a cig... at first it seems strong, but once you use it more, you get used to the "different" TH vaping brings. Like I said, at first 18mg was fine for me, within a week I was at 24-36. That is part of why I'm not sure what mg level to buy, and am asking for suggestions.

I was really jonesing for more nic my first week with only 18mg, until my next order of stronger cartos came in. The 18's were fine for a couple of days... then I was jonesing! Heck, if I has 100 bucks to blow, I wouldn't have to ask... I think it's impossible in the beginning to avoid spending money on cartos you end up not using. Part of finding that individual sweet spot... but here I am trying to guess as best I can what wiull work for her.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
NoMatches sir maybe you should just order her a sampler pack at 4mg, see how she likes it. Wowboy Peppermint is the flavor that probably most resembles marlboro ultra lights. My sister had switched to those at one point and I needed to bum one off of her. Come to think of it, that cig didn't give me much of my usual nic rush, maybe 4mg would be about right....

Who_Wants_To_Know

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
A menthol starter sampler would be a good idea. 4m if that helps, also you said they were the cowboys. Try the wow juice choices for other things. It has more vapor and less th then cool carts. I have found Nuports to be an excellent menthol flavor and one of my favorites. Smilin is also pretty good. You get all of them in a sample pack though.

Is she located close to you? You could always get a sampler pack see what she likes then order from there. Also some of the sweeter none cigarette like flavors might help as well since she smoked something so light. Maybe try one of the coffee shop ones.

krazie_Kid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Long Island
www.vapor4life.com
There are 2 menthol samplers, if I remember right, I would get both at 4mg like Sir Morandir said, then when she realises the 4mg is too weak, have her go up to 8. 8 is where she might be at, but 4 can also work. When I started I had the 16mg and it was way too strong, crazy nic rushes, and if I chain vaped I got sick. Now I am going up to 36 because I cant get enough nic a lot of the time.

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
Thanks.... I'm starting to think two menthol sampler packs, one at 4mg, one at 8mg. Now, I have enough $ left to order something different... I know I love the waffle and mocha cafe... and people seem to like the coffee sampler. I guess I'll go with 4mg on the other two sampler packs, but which ones? A coffee and ... one more? I also have some Cowboy 8mg I will give her (4 catros) which might be a good enough fill in if she starts to jones...

I really do appreciate any and all suggestions. She has a family now, and my little grand niece is gonna need her around for a long time! BTW, this nephew and I are close, he's also my Godson. They are only a 20 minute drive away. This baby is a Gerber baby... cuter they just don't make 'em! And a HUGE smiler/laugher, so happy... she is a joy! I've never seen a baby that smiles and laughs so much! Any excuse for a visit is a good one! LOL...

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
There are 2 menthol samplers, if I remember right, I would get both at 4mg like Sir Morandir said, then when she realises the 4mg is too weak, have her go up to 8. 8 is where she might be at, but 4 can also work. When I started I had the 16mg and it was way too strong, crazy nic rushes, and if I chain vaped I got sick. Now I am going up to 36 because I cant get enough nic a lot of the time.

OK, so maybe two of the 2 different menthol samplers at 4mg, one at 8mg, and one more.... or maybe I could spring for two...

krazie_Kid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Long Island
www.vapor4life.com
Once you both get used to carto's to save A lot of money, I would start refilling, and when I say if I can do it, anyone can, that holds a lot of truth.

I used to order every week, 2x a week, to find my all day go to vape. And once I started refilling, I order every other month at usually 50 bucks at a time. 50 bucks with the SMILIN discount = 4 30ml bottles, 2 of which I get wowboy and 2 smilin, I tend to order when V4L makes new things, like drip tips, or anything like that.

Last edited:

DawnsFolly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Great ideas Keyzy! I smoked menthols for most of those 30+ years. Thought menthols was what I wanted, but it was Cappucino that got me off of cigarettes. I vote for the Coffee Shop sampler and Peppermint so WOW Vapor Menthol Lovers Sampler Cartomizers Wow Cowboy Menthol Wow Kant Menthol Wow Nuport Wow Smilin Special Menthol Wow Peppermint has both, Vapor4Life- Electronic Cigarette: Vapor King Cartomizers Virginia Menthol Dunhall Menthol Kamel Menthol Menthol Parlament Menthol , WOW Vapor Coffee Shop Sampler Cartomizers Cafe Mocha - Cappuccino - Coffee - Espresso - Cinnamon Roll and WOW Vapor Dessert & Candy Sampler Cartomizers Wow ChocoBanana Wow French Vanilla Ice Cream Wow Black Licorice Wow Supermint Wow Butterscotch (all in stock right now in both 4mg and 8mg) also has a few of my favorite things. I didn't mean to quit smoking "just got this to fill in" and cigarettes started to taste like crap. I smoked through pregnancy & you'd have thought I was smoking crack in the doctor's office. I liked to smoke, but vaping is even better. My sister & mother both got kits as gifts and still smoke, but each time they vape is one less cig.

Last edited:

NoMatches

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
LI, NY
OK... I guess I'll go with mostly 4mg, two menthol samplers at 4mg, a 4mg coffee, maybe a fruit sampler, a dessert sampler, and another 8mg menthol sampler? There goes the budget! But I really want to get whatever is going to work for her. She and my nephew... if only my entire family were as good as these two! I do love them both... the more I get, the more I can play the "guilt card"! LOL...

Kanza

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2011
Wilmette, IL
'Matches, we started out in the newbie section together and it's nice to see we both like to "share the wealth," which is how I look at V4L. I had the same problem starting and dropped to 0mg for awhile and am slowly working my way up the nicotine ladder to find the right amount. However, that leaves me with a considerable number of 0mg cartos that I won't be using that I would be happy to donate to the cause of beloved nieces & nephews. Please PM me an address and I can mail a menthol sampler packs plus some random flavors like butterscotch, cinnamon (I think), etc. I might also have coffee but I would stay away from that, at least in the beginning. Some of them left a nasty "burned" taste on my tongue. Please let me know and good luck to you and your family :)

lionchild

Mar 10, 2011
VA, USA
I would suggest 11mg strength, my girlfriend used to smoke marlboro lights and she was still getting a craving even with 11. It was also easy for her to start hitting it normal, as most people described above that vaping does have a different throat hit. I honestly think that anything lower than an 11 might be too low for people that actually have a strong nicotine habit. I figured I would put my 2 cents in, considering everyone forgot the 11mg strength, now if we could some 14mg I might actually get down from the 18mg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread